The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who here is actually happy with the Hronek trade?

Rate this topic

Odd.

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

The fact of the matter is, is that these players do not usually come available. How we were able to , while he is in his prime, and after he was drafted and then developed? Its a miracle really. 

It's like we acquired McDavid and people would still complain we paid too much. Now that's crazy. :lol:

We just need to accept we have a piece to the puzzle which should get us one step closer to the ultimate prize.

Agreed.

Harman Dayal reviewed his tape, and wrote an in depth article about him for the Athletic in March.

here’s the conclusion:

Hronek profiles as a jack-of-all-trades two-way defenceman. He wasn’t quite as dynamic leading breakouts as I anticipated but was far more reliable defensively than I expected, especially now that his matchups and minutes have been scaled more reasonably. He checks the boxes of a quality No. 3 defenceman to me — somebody who can either caddy a legitimate No. 1 like Hughes or be an effective driver on his own pair, provided he has a competent partner.

Regardless of how he’s deployed, Hronek is far and away better than any right-shot defencemen the Canucks have employed this season and should be a core player for some time.

Edited by Ted Lasso
  • Like 1
  • There it is 1

Just now, Ted Lasso said:

Agreed.

Hartman Dayal reviewed his tape, and wrote an in depth article about him for the Athletic in March.

here’s the conclusion:

Hronek profiles as a jack-of-all-trades two-way defenceman. He wasn’t quite as dynamic leading breakouts as I anticipated but was far more reliable defensively than I expected, especially now that his matchups and minutes have been scaled more reasonably. He checks the boxes of a quality No. 3 defenceman to me — somebody who can either caddy a legitimate No. 1 like Hughes or be an effective driver on his own pair, provided he has a competent partner.

Regardless of how he’s deployed, Hronek is far and away better than any right-shot defencemen the Canucks have employed this season and should be a core player for some time.

And Harman Dyal never played and is a friggin’ moron!  Snd even he understands (to the level he’s able) that Hronrk is great. What Dyal doesn’t realize, because he can’t skate and is a moron, is that Hronek is actually a number one D. Hronek was the best player on Detroit. Their team did a serious nosedive after Hronek. Slo Mo couldn’t (yet) play those tough minutes. So they team collapsed. We stole their best player. Hronek will anchor our second pairing for the next 7 years. Allvin should get a stature for this deal. That’s where Dyal, the non skating moron, misses. 

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And Harman Dyal never played and is a friggin’ moron!  Snd even he understands (to the level he’s able) that Hronrk is great. What Dyal doesn’t realize, because he can’t skate and is a moron, is that Hronek is actually a number one D. Hronek was the best player on Detroit. Their team did a serious nosedive after Hronek. Slo Mo couldn’t (yet) play those tough minutes. So they team collapsed. We stole their best player. Hronek will anchor our second pairing for the next 7 years. Allvin should get a stature for this deal. That’s where Dyal, the non skating moron, misses. 

Appreciate your positive outlook, Alf.

I didn’t read his conclusion as a knock on Hronek. Seems like a balanced take, that his defence was better than expected, and breakouts were less dynamic than expected (specifically passing when rushed, and without support from forwards). 

Overall, he sees him carrying a second pair, and being a core player for years. 

• Cheers 2

52 minutes ago, Ted Lasso said:

Agreed.

Harman Dayal reviewed his tape, and wrote an in depth article about him for the Athletic in March.

here’s the conclusion:

Harman guy is wrong 

he played as DET 1D

he would be a 1 or 2 D on maybe 

every team 

VKG 2

TB 2 maybe 3

TOR 1

WSH 1

VAN 2

DAL 2

PH1

CBJ 2

CGY 2 or 3

LA 2 

EDM 1

STL 1

COL 2 or 3 

NYI 1

NYR 2 

PIT 1

SJS 2 best all around tho 

ANA 1 or 2

CHI 1

BOS 2 

PHX 1

FLA 1 or 2

OTT 1 or 2

NSH 2

MIN 2 or 3

CAR 3 

BUF 2 

NJD 2 

SEA 1

MTL 1

WIN 2

• There it is 1

4 minutes ago, Devron said:

I love the title of this thread.

I’ll say it again… very happy. Thank you :)

Likewise.

Sounds like he can carry a pair, with a decent partner.

Many are penciling him in to play with Soucy, but I’m curious to see what he looks like with Cole. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Ted Lasso said:

Appreciate your positive outlook, Alf.

I didn’t read his conclusion as a knock on Hronek. Seems like a balanced take, that his defence was better than expected, and breakouts were less dynamic than expected (specifically passing when rushed, and without support from forwards). 

Overall, he sees him carrying a second pair, and being a core player for years. 

Dyal is still a non skating, never played, moron. He should bow and kneel to Alf’s empties for his moronic views. :frantic:

• There it is 1

If you look around the league at all the RHD and compare to what each team has, Hronek is on the top pairing on most teams.  I counted only 13 teams where he wouldn't be on the top pairing as a RHD.  I excluded any LHD that play the right side...

Calgary - Rasmus Andersson

San Jose - Erik Karlsson

Vegas - Alex Pietrangelo

Colorado - Cale Makar

Carolina - Brent Burns

New Jersey - Dougie Hamilton

Ny Islanders - Noah Dobson

NY Rangers - Adam Fox

Pittsburgh - Kris Letang

Washington - John Carlson

Boston - Charlie McAvoy

Detroit - Moritz Seider

Florida - Aaron Ekblad / Brandon Montour

Florida is the only team where Hronek may not be in the top 4 on the right side.  I'd put him ahead of Trouba, Cernak and Weegar.  Brent Burns is old so I would take Hronek over him if I had to make a trade.  Same with Letang, Karlsson and Carlson.  

So, really after you take into consideration age, there are only a handful of RHD that are better than Hronek.  Less than 10 really...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

Who like the deal?

me 

poeples who watch the hockey 

them blue and green guys with the sticks 

the peoples whom want to see wins

yeah all of them 

Who dislikes the deal? A handful of armchair GMs who like to believe that their (EA NHL honed) negotiation and team assembly skills would always have enabled them to make a better deal, whenever they wanted to.

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If you look around the league at all the RHD and compare to what each team has, Hronek is on the top pairing on most teams.  I counted only 13 teams where he wouldn't be on the top pairing as a RHD.  I excluded any LHD that play the right side...

Calgary - Rasmus Andersson

San Jose - Erik Karlsson

Vegas - Alex Pietrangelo

Colorado - Cale Makar

Carolina - Brent Burns

New Jersey - Dougie Hamilton

Ny Islanders - Noah Dobson

NY Rangers - Adam Fox

Pittsburgh - Kris Letang

Washington - John Carlson

Boston - Charlie McAvoy

Detroit - Moritz Seider

Florida - Aaron Ekblad / Brandon Montour

Florida is the only team where Hronek may not be in the top 4 on the right side.  I'd put him ahead of Trouba, Cernak and Weegar.  Brent Burns is old so I would take Hronek over him if I had to make a trade.  Same with Letang, Karlsson and Carlson.  

So, really after you take into consideration age, there are only a handful of RHD that are better than Hronek.  Less than 10 really...

I would argue that on DET, WSH, PIT, NYI and maybe NJD, Heineken  would be 1RD

Yes Carlson and Katanga are great names with great careers but at this stage if Hrony was on their team, he would be top pairing to take the tougher minutes away from letsng and Carlson 

2 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Happy with Hronek, but we still need a legit #1 dman.

Hughes is literally challenging for the Norris trophy. How can you not say he’s a #1 Dman?  He was tied for 2nd overall in points for a Dman. He plays 25 minutes a night. Both PP and PK. If he’s not a #1 Dman than pretty much every Dman in the league isn’t either. 

2 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Happy with Hronek, but we still need a legit #1 dman.

I get you have high expectations for our team and I bet you even feel proud to have high expectations, but don't let those high expectations cloud your judgement of our players to the point where you have unrealistic expectations like you're showing here. ;)

(ie. If Hughes is not a #1 dman then Eddie Vedder's not a rock legend)

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1