The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SCF] Vegas Golden Knights (P1) vs. Florida Panthers (WC2) | Golden Knights win 2023 Stanley Cup

Rate this topic

2023 Stanley Cup Final  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Stanley Cup?

• Golden Knights in 4
    • Golden Knights in 5
    • Golden Knights in 6
    • Golden Knights in 7
    • Panthers in 4
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/06/2023 at 12:00 AM

1 minute ago, Pears said:

Ok let ask, did Burrows get as much hate as he did before Maclean assassinated his character as he did after? I can almost guarantee most people didn’t even know who he was before that incident. 

Really? You can guarantee that? I'm pretty sure he was widely disliked long before Ron McLean dissed him.

You can believe what you like. I certainly can't change that. However, I have a hard time imagining the rest of the hockey world cheering for the Canucks, had RM not gone on his little rant. YMMV....

1 minute ago, Pears said:

Ok let ask, did Burrows get as much hate as he did before Maclean assassinated his character as he did after? I can almost guarantee most people didn’t even know who he was before that incident. 

Burrows never did himself any favours by biting Bergerons finger. I mean I like burrows. But Then there was the Tootoo incident. So burrows ain’t no saint. 

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

The annoying media are going to be giddy as they will be loving the two cities that are hosting this series.

Wont last long.

Cats will sweep.

Yeah. If you're a beat reporter, Vegas - Miami beats the crap out of a Dallas - Raleigh tilt.....

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, mll said:

I know everyone is praising Bob's play during these playoffs but comparing his numbers to Hill, Hill actually has BETTER numbers. 2.07 GAA .937.SV% against Bob's 2.21GAA and .935 SV%. It's going to be a great SCF.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

It's more teams outthinking the process than the expansion rules + some teams not knowing what they had in their players.  CBJ would have probably never left Karlsson unprotected if they knew he could be a top-6 C. Trotz was calling Schmidt a D7 and healthy scratching him.  

This was Vegas' opening lineup:

Perrron Eakin Neal

Marchessault Haula Smith 

Karlsson Lindberg Leipsic

Carrier Bellemare Nosek

Sbisa Schmidt

McNabb Engelland

Garrison Miller

Fleury

Subban

They had Tuch and Theodore in the AHL and had drafted Glass (now in Nashville for Nolan Patrick), Brannstrom (part of trade for Stone), Suzuki (part of Pacioretty trade).

Thank you, not to mention that was 6 years ago and a lot has happened since then. They still bring the same type of player to the team and their not all overpaid whiney stick checkers either. They work hard and are not afraid to get their hands dirty. Petro, Stone and Eichel are the only big money guys but its the Marchessault's, Karlsson's, Stephenson's and Hill's who make this team what they are. 

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I know everyone is praising Bob's play during these playoffs but comparing his numbers to Hill, Hill actually has BETTER numbers. 2.07 GAA .937.SV% against Bob's 2.21GAA and .935 SV%. It's going to be a great SCF.

Bobrovsky and Hill both have a pretty insane GSAA right now too. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yep that's what I was thinking when it got to 3-0.

I know many say it was because of injuries but I don't think we had any Marchessault's or Karlsson's on our team at the time. We didn't have anyone who thrived under pressure. I sure hope Petey and Hughes are those kind of players when the time comes.

8 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I know many say it was because of injuries but I don't think we had any Marchessault's or Karlsson's on our team at the time. We didn't have anyone who thrived under pressure. I sure hope Petey and Hughes are those kind of players when the time comes.

Burrows….

37 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Yeah that's one of the differences between the 2011 team and the 1982 / 1994 teams.  The first two runs to the final were pressure players.  Linden was the king of game sevens.  McLean was as steady and consistent as they come.  King Richard had won the WHA's Stanley Cup, gone to the WHA final another time and was the first ever Memorial Cup MVP Trophy Winner.  Cliff Ronning was a pressure player...already a playoff hero from his first years as a Canuck.  Babych, Courtnall, Smyl, etc.

The 2011 team had a lot of skill.  That was the one year they played up to it.  Luongo was great in two rounds and seemed to have multiple personality disorder in the other two.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 2

59 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah that's one of the differences between the 2011 team and the 1982 / 1994 teams.  The first two runs to the final were pressure players.  Linden was the king of game sevens.  McLean was as steady and consistent as they come.  King Richard had won the WHA's Stanley Cup, gone to the WHA final another time and was the first ever Memorial Cup MVP Trophy Winner.  Cliff Ronning was a pressure player...already a playoff hero from his first years as a Canuck.  Babych, Courtnall, Smyl, etc.

The 2011 team had a lot of skill.  That was the one year they played up to it.  Luongo was great in two rounds and seemed to have multiple personality disorder in the other two.

Weird stats...in each of the two seasons prior, the Canucks were in the top ten in the league with major penalties assessed against them in the regular season.  *AND* for each of the two seasons following that 2011 team there were in the top ten in the league with major penalties (edit, actually 11th in the 2011-12 season).  Yet, for that 2011 season, they fell to the *bottom* ten in the league in major penalties.  They led the league in the 2007-08 season (three seasons prior to the 2011 team) in major penalties.  I guess Kelly Sutherland officiated alot of Canuck games during this period.:P

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

32 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Weird stats...in each of the two seasons prior, the Canucks were in the top ten in the league with major penalties assessed against them in the regular season.  *AND* for each of the two seasons following that 2011 team there were in the top ten in the league with major penalties (edit, actually 11th in the 2011-12 season).  Yet, for that 2011 season, they fell to the *bottom* ten in the league in major penalties.  They led the league in the 2007-08 season (three seasons prior to the 2011 team) in major penalties.  I guess Kelly Sutherland officiated alot of Canuck games during this period.:P

Yeah...on the one hand that season ended up being the one where they did something in the playoffs.  But it was also one where they were an overtime goal away from a historic first round collapse, they did collapse in the final, and they never even won four playoff games in total over the next eight years, including another Presidents Trophy season.