The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Offseason Moves - Trades and Signings (PROPOSAL)

Move Myers and 5th round pick to Chicago for future considerations after bonus paid

Move Beauvillier to Nashville for 2nd round pick

Move Boeser to Washington for Mantha 

Mikheyev - Petey - Kuzmenko

Mantha - Miller - Garland

Hoglander - ??? - Podkolzin

Joshua - Aman - Studnicka

Hughes - ???

OEL - Hronek

??? - Bear (2.5 mil) 

Demko 

Martin

Leaves about 9 million depending on cap for next year including LTIR (Poolman + Pearson) to sign 2 Dmen and a third line center. 

Sign Robert Hagg 1.5 mil X 3 years (3 LD)

Sign Scott Mayfield 4.5 mil x 4 years (1 RD)

Sign David Kampf 3 mil X 3 years (3 C)

Edited by Bure_Pavel

45 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Move Myers to Chicago for a 4th/5th round pick after bonus paid

Move Beauvillier to Nashville for 2nd round pick

Move Boeser to Washington for Mantha 

Mikheyev - Petey - Kuzmenko

Mantha - Miller - Garland

Hoglander - ??? - Podkolzin

Joshua - Aman - Studnicka

Hughes - ???

OEL - Hronek

??? - Bear (2.5 mil) 

Demko 

Martin

Leaves about 9 million depending on cap for next year including LTIR (Poolman + Pearson) to sign 2 Dmen and a third line center. 

Sign Robert Hagg 1.5 mil X 3 years (3 LD)

Sign Scott Mayfield 4.5 mil x 4 years (1 RD)

Sign David Kampf 3 mil X 3 years (3 C)

The Myers  to Chicago trade seems unlikely to me for a number of reasons 

1) Myers  has a 10 team NTC. I imagine Chicago/Arizona would be on that list 

2) Myers’s bonus isn’t paid until Sept 15.  I doubt any team will be waiting until the eve of training camp to try to get to the cap floor 

3). Just because Chicago has a lot of cap space it doesn’t diminish the value of that cap space.  Chicago has lots of money so I doubt they care that much about the real dollars/cap hit ratio that much. Several teams with cap issues will be coming to Chicago to dump cap and they’ll be giving up tangible assets (high picks) to dump those contracts.  Them taking Myers without done sort of sweetener seems unlikely.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

The Myers  to Chicago trade seems unlikely to me for a number of reasons 

1) Myers  has a 10 team NTC. I imagine Chicago/Arizona would be on that list 

2) Myers’s bonus isn’t paid until Sept 15.  I doubt any team will be waiting until the eve of training camp to try to get to the cap floor 

3). Just because Chicago has a lot of cap space it doesn’t diminish the value of that cap space.  Chicago has lots of money so I doubt they care that much about the real dollars/cap hit ratio that much. Several teams with cap issues will be coming to Chicago to dump cap and they’ll be giving up tangible assets (high picks) to dump those contracts.  Them taking Myers without done sort of sweetener seems unlikely.  

Chicago and Arizona are not the same as far as quality of the NHL team off the ice and city. Chicago is a much more desirable place to live that Buffalo, Winnipeg, Arizona ect. Chicago will already be at the cap floor by Sept 15 but they likely will still have enough cap space, they can take Myers on for some extra protection for Bedard then flip him at the deadline 50% retained for a 2nd or 3rd round pick without having to pay much real cash. If Chicago doesnt use all its cap space for the year then it has zero value, they still need to add alot of players but currently have over $40 million in cap space to spend.  

The first two deals are for picks only so can literally take that deal from any team that has the available cap does not have to be Chicago or Nashville. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

3 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Chicago and Arizona are not the same as far as quality of the NHL team off the ice and city. Chicago is a much more desirable place to live that Buffalo, Winnipeg, Arizona ect. Chicago will already be at the cap floor by Sept 15 but they likely will still have enough cap space, they can take Myers on for some extra protection for Bedard then flip him at the deadline 50% retained for a 2nd or 3rd round pick without having to pay much real cash. If Chicago doesnt use all its cap space for the year then it has zero value.  

The first two deals are for picks only so can literally take that deal from any team that has the available cap does not have to be Chicago or Nashville. 

I just don’t think Myers will waive for Chicago. And if he does it’s going to cost Vancouver  an asset to move him. Taking Myers really doesn’t do anything for them and is immensely helpful to the Canucks.  Chicago isn’t going to help Vancouver out for free when other teams will pay to make use of their cap space 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I just don’t think Myers will waive for Chicago. And if he does it’s going to cost Vancouver  an asset to move him. Taking Myers really doesn’t do anything for them and is immensely helpful to the Canucks.  Chicago isn’t going to help Vancouver out for free when other teams will pay to make use of their cap space 

I think Myers signing bonus may be able to be paid out on July 1st, but I know there was alot of confusion surrounding what the actually date was. I would be open to giving away up to a 5th round pick to a team to move him if needed. If July 1st, then will definitely be easier and may get a pick back.  

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I think Myers signing bonus may be able to be paid out on July 1st, but I know there was alot of confusion surrounding what the actually date was. I would be open to giving away up to a 5th round pick to a team to move him if needed. If July 1st, then will definitely be easier and may get a pick back.  

I think it’ll cost a 2nd (minimum) to move him 

11 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I think it’ll cost a 2nd (minimum) to move him 

A 2nd to move a contract at $6 million for one more year? Yeah hard pass. The proposal in itself isn’t that bad overall. 

17 minutes ago, Pears said:

A 2nd to move a contract at $6 million for one more year? Yeah hard pass. The proposal in itself isn’t that bad overall. 

It cost Calgary a 1st to move 1 year of Monahan @ $6m.  It all depends on how desperate Vancouver is to clear space 

35 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

After his bonus of five mil if Myers nixes any trades we simply put him on waivers. Teams wanting to reach the floor, while tanking, will jump on him. Then they can retain on him at the 2024 TDL and get a second or third. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, qwijibo said:

It cost Calgary a 1st to move 1 year of Monahan @ $6m.  It all depends on how desperate Vancouver is to clear space 

I can see retaining half on Myers for a trade taking no cap back.  Add  a high pick, 4th or 5th say (it's not going to be a 2023 pick), for $3M relief for 1 year.

Yeah, I doubt Myers waives for a bottom feeder in Chicago. It's a contract year, he'll want to play somewhere that has a chance of being successful, where he can be successful. This next contract could very well be his last one. 

I like the Nashville trade, not sure we'd get a 2nd but I'd welcome it. Hell, I'd probably take a 3rd. 

5 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Can't see the NHLPA allowing that.  His side negotiated a late payment to reduce the likelihood of a trade.  Dhaliwal verified with his agent - it's 15 September.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

After his bonus of five mil if Myers nixes any trades we simply put him on waivers. Teams wanting to reach the floor, while tanking, will jump on him. Then they can retain on him at the 2024 TDL and get a second or third. 

I agree.  If Myers plays hardball then just put him on waivers where his NTC has zero effect.  If he doesn't get claimed then sit him in the press box.  If he actually wants to continue playing in the NHL and wants another contract then he should accept a trade to anywhere at that point.  Enough with coddling these players.  

GM's should really stop using these NTC's on these free agents.  It just makes things harder for everyone.  I mean the player is still getting his money regardless where he plays.  Giving them a NTC on top just makes trades that much more difficult and makes it harder to move contracts.  You would think GM's would have learned by now.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, I doubt Myers waives for a bottom feeder in Chicago. It's a contract year, he'll want to play somewhere that has a chance of being successful, where he can be successful. This next contract could very well be his last one. 

I like the Nashville trade, not sure we'd get a 2nd but I'd welcome it. Hell, I'd probably take a 3rd. 

Beauvillier was on the trade block in NYI when Trotz was there - wouldn't expect them to want a reunion unless Vancouve the ones adding the pick.  

Trotz is talking of getting sweeteners in trades - teams have already approached him.  He's even open to move Saros.  Doesn't really feel like they'll be looking to give up assets unless they get a young high end player.  Nashville trying to develop their next core. 

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Beauvillier was on the trade block in NYI when Trotz was there - wouldn't expect them to want a reunion unless Vancouve the ones adding the pick.  

Trotz is talking of getting sweeteners in trades - teams have already approached him.  He's even open to move Saros.  Doesn't really feel like they'll be looking to give up assets unless they get a young high end player.  Nashville trying to develop their next core. 

With his comment about wanting scouts to swing for the fences at the draft it def seems he's eying the future 

Hard to whether Beau was a Trotz thing or a Lou Lam thing, we may not get a 2nd but he's a low commitment forward option, I'd take a 3rd and wash my hands of it if possible 

5 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Chicago and Arizona are not the same as far as quality of the NHL team off the ice and city. Chicago is a much more desirable place to live that Buffalo, Winnipeg, Arizona ect. Chicago will already be at the cap floor by Sept 15 but they likely will still have enough cap space, they can take Myers on for some extra protection for Bedard then flip him at the deadline 50% retained for a 2nd or 3rd round pick without having to pay much real cash. If Chicago doesnt use all its cap space for the year then it has zero value, they still need to add alot of players but currently have over $40 million in cap space to spend.  

He might not have any trade value by the deadline.  Chicago, Arizona etc aren't very good teams and his numbers could be pretty ugly.  

6M even with 50% retention is also a difficult contract to move at the TDL - he has the highest cap hit of all the Ds in the last year of their deals.  There will be cheaper options available which then gives room to also improve elsewhere.  

Myers is fine over paid but he plays an important role. Cap space would be nice but not at the cost it would take. Would love to add Mayfield. They just have to find a taker for one of our redundant wingers. Kampf would be a good target too but I feel like signing him to 3m x 3 would be a Beagle esque move. We should try to fill that spot internally and if the team is able to put themselves into a playoff position there will be options at the deadline. If they can't put themselves in the playoffs without Kampf he'll just make us that much more mediocre. 

Would love to bring Lammiko back and I think a guy like Gemel Smith could find a home here. We need to fix our PK but shouldn't have to pay millions to do it.  

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

With his comment about wanting scouts to swing for the fences at the draft it def seems he's eying the future 

Hard to whether Beau was a Trotz thing or a Lou Lam thing, we may not get a 2nd but he's a low commitment forward option, I'd take a 3rd and wash my hands of it if possible 

Teams are offering to add sweeteners.   Can't really see Nashville giving up an asset for a middle of the lineup player.  Available based on input from Trotz would be my guess.  They were still talking regularly after he was let go.  

The cap crunch league wide looks more acute this year than last year.  

19 minutes ago, mll said:

He might not have any trade value by the deadline.  Chicago, Arizona etc aren't very good teams and his numbers could be pretty ugly.  

6M even with 50% retention is also a difficult contract to move at the TDL - he has the highest cap hit of all the Ds in the last year of their deals.  There will be cheaper options available which then gives room to also improve elsewhere.  

They could get his cap hit down to $1.5 million at the deadline with a 3rd team involved.  Most likely Chicago or Arizona would be that 3rd team...

15 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They could get his cap hit down to $1.5 million at the deadline with a 3rd team involved.  Most likely Chicago or Arizona would be that 3rd team...

Have to pay to get that 3rd team involved.   Arizona likely sellers and only have 2 spots available given retention on OEL.  Have to also make it worthwhile to give up that retention spot vs retaining on their own players and/or playing 3rd party broker on a higher profile player - they got a 3rd for Kane and another 3rd for trading Bjugstad at 450K (50% retained).  

There will be near league minimum Ds available - at 50% retained that's still cheaper than 1.5M.  The pick from Vancouver to help their cap situation might be the better bet to get a decent asset vs hoping to trade him at the TDL.  

Edited by mll