The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REPORT] Pierre-Luc Dubois has requested a trade

15 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Nope, It sure won't. We've been trading Boeser since his rookie year. Nothing changes with Miller, the trade talks just become more unrealistic. With a contract as decisive as his, half the fan base will always want to be trading him. When/if this contract starts to age poorly, my guess in 3-4 years, those trade talks will amplify again.

Basically

I've never wanted to retain Miller but I'll have it noted that doesn't mean I think he's worthless, if I did I wouldn't propose he be moved for value

12 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I 100% do not. Pavelski has been one of the hardest working guys in hockey his whole career. That's the only reason he has been able to combat father time as well as he has. He completely changed his game through hard work and determination, something most players can not do. I don't think Miller can. If anything Miller may be able to stay relevant like Kessel. I don't see Miller nearly effective enough defensively to stay a well rounded player as he ages, but I could see him with the ability to be fed points on the pp.

Pavelski is an absolute outlier, forwards almost never age that well and he's been the model of consistency almost his entire career

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • elephant 1

55 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I believe JT will age like Pavelski. There is no denying JT is the better player now. The point of his downward trajectory will not apply because it’s not gonna happen.

You could be right. You also could be wrong. There is no guarantee that Miller ages like fine wine. He may be a 50 point player in 3 years. We just don’t know. 

• elephant 1

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Miller didn't request to be traded by every team he's played for going back to Jr while openly wanting to play for his home town team though. 

Sure, that wasn’t really the point of my post though. Regardless of whether he asked to or not, Miller was traded twice and is now on his 3rd team. And the 3rd team is where is broke out at age 26 into an elite forward. Same thing could happen to PLD. Just because he requested a trade from two of the worst places to live in the NHL doesn’t mean he can’t settle down into a new more desirable place like Vancouver and make a career out here. 

• elephant 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Sure, that wasn’t really the point of my post though. Regardless of whether he asked to or not, Miller was traded twice and is now on his 3rd team. And the 3rd team is where is broke out at age 26 into an elite forward. Same thing could happen to PLD. Just because he requested a trade from two of the worst places to live in the NHL doesn’t mean he can’t settle down into a new more desirable place like Vancouver and make a career out here. 

He requested a trade in Jr too, seems mopey, on top of openly wanting to play in Montreal. Good player but I just don't think we need the headache. 

Folks drone on about him wanting to play in Montreal but I reckon there's a fit for him in Colorado. Why wouldn't he want to join a recent Stanley Cup champion featuring a top 3 forward in MacKinnon up front? 

Landeskog won't play this coming season, depending on his injury he may never play again, Colorado could use help up front. Throw in Compher needing a respectable raise and being a pending UFA and it ticks a lot of boxes for the Avs. 

Factor in Byram needing a raise as a pending RFA and Toews being up after this coming season and it makes sense for them to look to move Girard out, Girard could be appealing to the Jets given he's signed to a 4x5M contract. The Avs also own this year's 1st alongside and their 1sts over the next couple years. They don't have the strongest prospect pool but they've got pieces. 

Jets may not like trading with an immediate division rival but with Dubois wanting out they don't exactly have a lot of room to fuss if there's a trade on the table that helps them. Dubois on a extension solidifies the Avs top two centers for most of a decade. Which is great for the Avs as they're built to contend for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Coconuts

2 hours ago, gizmo2337 said:

To Montreal
Pierre-Luc-Dubois
Sign at 8x8M

To Winnipeg
Nick Suzuki

Winnipeg screams yes, but not a deal I would do if I was Montreal. 

I like Suzuki a lot. Had a solid year on a terrible team and is their captain. 

6 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

Winnipeg screams yes, but not a deal I would do if I was Montreal. 

I like Suzuki a lot. Had a solid year on a terrible team and is their captain. 

Montreal has no reason to do this. Beyond the reasons you stated, I am pretty sure they can sign Dubois for no assets beyond money next summer. Dubois is an RFA with arbitration this summer.

42 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Folks drone on about him wanting to play in Montreal but I reckon there's a fit for him in Colorado. Why wouldn't he want to join a recent Stanley Cup champion featuring a top 3 forward in MacKinnon up front? 

Landeskog won't play this coming season, depending on his injury he may never play again, Colorado could use help up front. Throw in Compher needing a respectable raise and being a pending UFA and it ticks a lot of boxes for the Avs. 

Factor in Byram needing a raise as a pending RFA and Toews being up after this coming season and it makes sense for them to look to move Girard out, Girard could be appealing to the Jets given he's signed to a 4x5M contract. The Avs also own this year's 1st alongside and their 1sts over the next couple years. They don't have the strongest prospect pool but they've got pieces. 

Jets may not like trading with an immediate division rival but with Dubois wanting out they don't exactly have a lot of room to fuss if there's a trade on the table that helps them. Dubois on a extension solidifies the Avs top two centers for most of a decade. Which is great for the Avs as they're built to contend for the foreseeable future.

Colorado is close enough to another Cup to take that risk, we are not. Simple as that. 

The advantages/disadvantages of trading Miller for Dubois:

Disadvantages

-  Miller is a proven better point producer

-  Miller is a cheaper contract

-  Questions as to whether the Canucks can fit Dubois in under the CAP... and he would require a long term committment... and his contract might hinder defensive signings

Advantages

-  Miller is 30 years old... his peak was two seasons ago

-  Dubois is only 24... his point production should improve... especially considering he is a power forward... who peak later

-  Dubois is in the same age range as the rest of the Canucks' core... he could form a part of a longterm group with Pettersson and Hughes.

There are also the intangibles...

-  Dubois is a Canadian...  Canadians are better in the playoffs  (proven fact)

-  Dubois seems to be a prima donna... history of demanding trades

All in all, there are advantages and disadvantages.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

The advantages/disadvantages of trading Miller for Dubois:

Disadvantages

-  Miller is a proven better point producer

-  Miller is a cheaper contract

-  Questions as to whether the Canucks can fit Dubois in under the CAP... and he would require a long term committment... and his contract might hinder defensive signings

Advantages

-  Miller is 30 years old... his peak was two seasons ago

-  Dubois is only 24... his point production should improve... especially considering he is a power forward... who peak later

-  Dubois is in the same age range as the rest of the Canucks' core... he could form a part of a longterm group with Pettersson and Hughes.

There are also the intangibles... Dubois is a Canadian...  Canadians are better in the playoffs  (proven fact)

All in all, there are advantages and disadvantages.

18 Points in 17 games for his last Playoff good for 1st on the team with Elias Pettersson. Top Canadian was Bo at 4th with 12 points. 

10 minutes ago, mll said:

Starting high, negotiations 101 

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Colorado is close enough to another Cup to take that risk, we are not. Simple as that. 

I'm not sure teams will necessarily view it as a big risk with the cap set to jump quite a bit in the coming years, what top six centers can demand is going to rise across the board even if it is a more gradual process 

Mid 20's top six centers aren't made available very often, someone will pay him 

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Starting high, negotiations 101 

I'm not sure teams will necessarily view it as a big risk with the cap set to jump quite a bit in the coming years, what top six centers can demand is going to rise across the board even if it is a more gradual process 

Mid 20's top six centers aren't made available very often, someone will pay him 

The risk is where he wants to play long term, we're not there yet, Colorado is. 

7 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

18 Points in 17 games for his last Playoff good for 1st on the team with Elias Pettersson. Top Canadian was Bo at 4th with 12 points. 

Look at Stanley Cup contending or winning teams over the years... Canadians are disproportionately represented on them... 

Vegas is an example.

Anyway, I am not advocating for a trade.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • elephant 1

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

The risk is where he wants to play long term, we're not there yet, Colorado is. 

Maybe, but a Dubois trade doesn't happen without a pre-arranged extension anyway. Inquiring and doing due diligence is exactly what management is supposed to do. 

Just now, *Buzzsaw* said:

Look at Stanley Cup contending or winning teams over the years... Canadians are disproportionately represented on them... 

Vegas is an example.

Has more to do with the mix of players than Nationality, this is as pedantic as the can't win a Cup without a Canadian Captain until Lidstrom and Ovi shut that stupid narrative up 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

Maybe, but a Dubois trade doesn't happen without a pre-arranged extension anyway. Inquiring and doing due diligence is exactly what management is supposed to do. 

I  think Colorado is a better fit,works short term if he fks off to Montreal or could stay long term due to MacKinnon factor.

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

I  think Colorado is a better fit,works short term if he fks off to Montreal or could stay long term due to MacKinnon factor.

I don't think Colorado does anything if an extension isn't in place, they've had instability since Kadri left and I could see them wanting stability down the middle. They paid for the pieces that got them over the hump and that depleted their prospect pool a fair bit, I don't see them looking to rent a top six center. The same likely goes for any other team that has interest, most teams likely aren't interested in paying the price it'd cost to acquire Dubois if they can't keep him.