The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Bennings legacy without the OEL trade. Grade him out of 10.

Rate this topic

MaxVerstappen33

1 hour ago, Citizen Erased said:

Out of 10? -939393983833771718274

Worst GM in all of pro sports ever.

Waste of space post. 

There seems to be a fair amount of low information fans who actually think this. 

There's a GM who gave Scott Gomez his contract AND a GM who traded FOR his contract. But hey , Loui Erricson bruh ! All 6 years of him. 

30 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Without it , the Canucks wouldn't have a single bad contract at the end of his tenure. But hey , worst GM in history.

If we waived Myers or Poolman last December. How confident would you be that a team would scoop him up? Because hey, there was only one bad contract right?

Edited by DSVII

3 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Drafting: 5/10.  It's a pretty short list when you think about it.  He had a lot of good picks and he traded most of them away.  When you look at a full database of our picks, the list of NHL talent is extremely small.

Signing: 3/10.  Good signings few and far between.  Hughes, Schenn, Tanev, Markstrom, Horvat, and Demko.  That's a very short list for seven years.  There's a long list of depth players who got retirement money from Benning.  And it also forced Benning not to sign players who walked for free (Tanev & Toffoli).

Trading: 3/10.  The Miller and OEL trades stand out.  But there is a long list of picks needlessly given away.  If you were another team's GM, it was guaranteed that you could get a 3/4/5th round pick packaged for free.  Just look at this list and ask, why did he throw in those picks?  https://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_GM/Jim_Benning/280/

Personnel: 2/10.  Of all the people fans wanted gone,  Benning was one of the last to go.  Linden gone.  Brackett gone.  Gilman gone.  Green and Desjardins are out of the league.  Some blame probably goes to Aquaman of course, but Dim Jim was the man in charge.

Overall score: 3.2/10.  It's bad.   Probably good enough to be the worst GM in recent Canucks memory.  And to be honest, I think I'm giving him a pretty favourable score. The general consensus among the wider hockey community is that Benning was one of the worst GMs in history.  The fact that a failing GM held onto office for seven years really damaged the franchise.  

Good way to look at it...  

Drafting: 8/10  ...  don't agree in assuming that anyone would've drafted Petey and Quinn.  Jury is out on some later round picks, but his drafts are definitely above average.  

Signings: 3/10 ... had to overpay to get free agents into a losing franchise and this was ultimately his downfall.  Lots of big signings that blew up in his face (Loui, Beagle), and some ones that turned out well (Schenn, Demko, Quinn, Petey, Joshua, etc).   

Trading: 4/10 ... got good value in acquiring Dowd, Schenn, Motte, JT, but really handcuffed the team with the OEL trade.  Biggest gripe was sending out so many picks in his trades.  

Personnel: 2/10 ... this was his biggest issue for me.  Did well to bring in Ryan Johnson and turn over the scouting department, but was ill equipped to handle player development, and all the other aspects of running the entire franchise.  

4.25/10 for me...  He had no business being not only the GM, but also the President of Hockey Operations without the title.  Hiring a rookie President in Trevor Linden, and then not replacing him after he left was one of the most worst ways to manage your franchise by Francesco.  We were one of 3 or 4 teams in the league that didn't have a PoHO and the other teams corrected their mistakes and admitted to them.  Nothing like that from Aquaman.  

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Good way to look at it...  

Drafting: 8/10  ...  don't agree in assuming that anyone would've drafted Petey and Quinn.  Jury is out on some later round picks, but his drafts are definitely above average.  

Signings: 3/10 ... had to overpay to get free agents into a losing franchise and this was ultimately his downfall.  Lots of big signings that blew up in his face (Loui, Beagle), and some ones that turned out well (Schenn, Demko, Quinn, Petey, Joshua, etc).   

Trading: 4/10 ... got good value in acquiring Dowd, Schenn, Motte, JT, but really handcuffed the team with the OEL trade.  Biggest gripe was sending out so many picks in his trades.  

Personnel: 2/10 ... this was his biggest issue for me.  Did well to bring in Ryan Johnson and turn over the scouting department, but was ill equipped to handle player development, and all the other aspects of running the entire franchise.  

4.25/10 for me...  He had no business being not only the GM, but also the President of Hockey Operations without the title.  Hiring a rookie President in Trevor Linden, and then not replacing him after he left was one of the most worst ways to manage your franchise by Francesco.  We were one of 3 or 4 teams in the league that didn't have a PoHO and the other teams corrected their mistakes and admitted to them.  Nothing like that from Aquaman.  

You absolutely cannot give Benning an 8/10 just because he drafted Pettersson and Hughes.  Two good picks out of how many?  Juolevi and Virtanen alone pull down that score.  The picks were controversial at the time and now it's more than apparent.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

What I want to know is why we’re excluding OEL. 

Hell of an anchor to omit. 

We all know how involved the Sedins were in acquiring Loui and then there is this.......

Sedins-involvement-OEL-trade

Edited by hammertime

47 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Without it , the Canucks wouldn't have a single bad contract at the end of his tenure. But hey , worst GM in history.

I wish it were as simple as evaluating what’s left at the end of his tenure.

Doesn't change the fact that we were saddled with contracts like Eriksson’s and Gudbranson’s throughout his tenure. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

You absolutely cannot give Benning an 8/10 just because he drafted Pettersson and Hughes.  Two good picks out of how many?  Juolevi and Virtanen alone pull down that score.  The picks were controversial at the time and now it's more than apparent.

Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko more then make up for Juolevi and Virtanen.  Besides are we going to blame the three season-ending injuries that Juolevi suffered on something that Benning should've known before we drafted him?  Virtanen was a miss for sure for his draft position, but drafting a top 10 d-man and center league wide at 5th and 7th picks is exceptional.  

I was ready for Benning to be fired a year or two prior but always wanted him to stay for the draft if we hadn't made the change by then.  I really hope that Allvin keeps the same drafting record.  

44 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

We would have been lucky to get future considerations for Kassian.

That's how low his stock was when he was traded.

Kassian cleared waivers. Nobody wanted him for free. He was negative value when traded. I said at the time of the trade we could have got Prust for a 7th round pick as the Habs just wanted to dump his contract. We needed to make it a 5th to get them to take Kassian. First thing the Habs GM said to him was, "you're getting one chance here, don't screw it up". He screwed up before even playing a preseason game and cleared waivers again. 

• Cheers 2

We made the playoffs two times in his tenure and one of those times was Gillis’ team. 

As someone who supported him through the majority of that time, largely because I thought we may be close to turning the corner, I look back now and am pretty shocked at just how lacklustre his teams were. 

I give him credit for some good pieces through the draft, but overall I think the results speak for themselves. 

2.5 as of today. 

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

Kassian cleared waivers. Nobody wanted him for free. He was negative value when traded. I said at the time of the trade we could have got Prust for a 7th round pick as the Habs just wanted to dump his contract. We needed to make it a 5th to get them to take Kassian. First thing the Habs GM said to him was, "you're getting one chance here, don't screw it up". He screwed up before even playing a preseason game and cleared waivers again. 

Good to see you back Baggins.

• Thanks 1