The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Peeke for Garland

1 minute ago, Pears said:

Yeah, but them getting Severson and Provorov, he won’t be seeing top 4 minutes any time soon and there isn’t any sense in having him on the bottom pair. I’d still love Peeke but if we wanna be bold, no harm in asking about Jiricek. 

It's true but they only have Provorov on this current deal for two more years, there's also no guarantee Provorov stays regardless of how competitive Columbus is or isn't. Jiricek is a cost controlled player who is guaranteed to be around for the forseeable future. If Jiricek looks ready by the time Provorov's deal is nearing expiry I could honestly see Columbus letting him walk in order to reallocate cap space.

Doesn't hurt to ask, absolutely, but there's not exactly any pressure on their end either given Jiricek's pedigree. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neutral said:

pipe dream if you think an undersized middle 6 winger nets a right handed D capable of playing top 4 minutes at a cap hit under 3m...dream on if you think Garland nets this type of return!

Think he’s capable of top 4 minutes the same way Bear, Juulsen and Schenn are.  Schenn was traded for a 3rd, and Bear a 5th.

24 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

yea id say wait a year, we still have a bunch of unknowns

1. can OEL regain his 2021 form?

2. how will this D perform with more structure?

3. how close is filip johansson to playing in the nhl?

4. can hirose play for a full season like he did those past few games?

answers to those, plus myers contract expired will paint a clear picture of what to do

Yep.  Adding Hronek, Bear and guys like Hirose creates some interesting questions on the back end.  I wouldn’t be upset if we can’t move Myers and just roll out what we have.  (But won’t be upset if we keep making moves either.)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Yep.  Adding Hronek, Bear and guys like Hirose creates some interesting questions on the back end.  I wouldn’t be upset if we can’t move Myers and just roll out what we have.  (But won’t be upset if we keep making moves either.)

Reported today that Bear may require shoulder surgery, with a 2 month recovery time

• Cheers 1

JFC, this board...

Garland will be a cap dump. 

We will pay a team to take his contract.

Peeke is a 25 year old 6'4 RHD.

Even with his poor numbers last year, he's still fetching a 1st round pick, and maybe a sweetener.

He's cost controlled for another two years at 2.75 per. He has a massive amount of value.

You aren't even on the same planet of value here.

If you want to move Garland and his 3 remaining years of bloated contract for Peeke, you're going to be adding the 11th overall pick, and maybe be getting a 2nd or 3rd round pick back if you're lucky. Guys like Garland aren't hard to find. Big, cost controlled, young, RHD are extremely hard to find.

Please for the love of god people, stop posting these asinine trade proposals.

• Wat 1
  • RoughGame 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Peeke was -41 this past season. IMHAO he's not what we need. 

You know who else was at the bottom of the plus minus category?

Kyrou, Debrincat, Batherson, Hertl, Karlsson, Fowler.

It's a stat that on its own means a whole lot of nothing.

Peeke averaged 21.5 minutes a game on the worst team in the league, often playing a shutdown roll, as a 24 year old. No $%^@ he's going to be a in the minus. 

Edited by -AJ-
Edited for language

6 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

JFC, this board...

Even with his poor numbers last year, he's still fetching a 1st round pick, and maybe a sweetener.

He's cost controlled for another two years at 2.75 per. He has a massive amount of value.

If you want to move Garland and his 3 remaining years of bloated contract for Peeke, you're going to be adding the 11th overall pick, and maybe be getting a 2nd or 3rd round pick back if you're lucky. Guys like Garland aren't hard to find. Big, cost controlled, young, RHD are extremely hard to find.

Same could be said about people who say this. Yeah he might be getting paid a little more than he should be, but let’s not act like he didn’t put up a respectable 46 points despite struggling, and has solid even strength numbers. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I say one of Pod/Hog might be more enticing. They need to round out their top 9 and they fit the age group they want. They also save some cap they can use to further round out their supporting cast of forwards. 

They could use some size. They don’t have much up front, especially on the wings. 

We’d probably have to clear some more cap. Maybe we could get some retention on their part but doubtful as I think Peeke is more valued and the cap they get even it out more. 

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

Same could be said about people who say this. Yeah he might be getting paid a little more than he should be, but let’s not act like he didn’t put up a respectable 46 points despite struggling, and has solid even strength numbers. 

Doesn't matter dude.

Every single team in the league is aware of the Canucks cap situation, nobody is taking his contract with the term left without getting assets back. 

He's paid more than he's worth, with 3 more years making nearly 5 million.

If he couldn't routinely crack the top 6 on a terrible basement dwelling team like Vancouver, why would you expect another team to look at him and think he'd be able to make an impact in their top 6? 

He ranked 383 in cost per point last season amongst forwards. That isn't good. 

• RoughGame 1

3 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Stopped reading here.

I know it's hard for you, but keep trying?

If I was able to make it through the dumbest trade proposal I've seen this week, I think you can manage.

Just go slow and sound it out.

I also suggest doing some reading about the value of RHD, and what they command on the market.

Especially ones who are big and young, with a steal of a contract.

Once you're done that, try looking into the cost of moving bad contracts out.

We gave up a 2nd round pick to move Dickinson with only 1/3 of the term that Garland has, and he was a C which is a more valuable position. We also had to take a $%^@ player/contract back in Stillman. Your proposal would be rejected even if you were playing NHL23, let alone in the real world. 

Edited by -AJ-
edit for language
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

Doesn't matter dude.

Every single team in the league is aware of the Canucks cap situation, nobody is taking his contract with the term left without getting assets back. 

He's paid more than he's worth, with 3 more years making nearly 5 million.

If he couldn't routinely crack the top 6 on a terrible basement dwelling team like Vancouver, why would you expect another team to look at him and think he'd be able to make an impact in their top 6? 

He ranked 383 in cost per point last season amongst forwards. That isn't good. 

I can almost guarantee you a team like Chicago who needs to hit the cap floor, and surround Bedard with NHL level talent, would love to add a quality NHLer like Garland. Cap hit/contract aside he’s one of the best 5 on 5 producers in the entire league, that’s not up for debate. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Pears said:

I can almost guarantee you a team like Chicago who needs to hit the cap floor, and surround Bedard with NHL level talent, would love to add a quality NHLer like Garland. Cap hit/contract aside he’s one of the best 5 on 5 producers in the entire league, that’s not up for debate. 

It's not? Just because you end a hot take with your personal version of "Cause Stone Cold said so" doesn't make it true?

Sure, they're going to be happy to take bad contracts to make the cap floor. That is true.

But if you take a look around the league, and see how many teams are capped out, you'll realize that Chicago is in a position to ADD ASSETS to take on bad contracts (Garland/Boeser/Beau/Myers) they sure as f**k aren't about to do it for free. You're insane if you think they're going to be giving assets up to take contracts. 

Just now, Pears said:

Majority of teams are looking to clear cap. They won’t have a lack of suitors willing to part with players, even quality ones, and add sweeteners to do so. 

Chicago is also one of the few teams with a lot of cap heading to Free Agency with a high profile player in Bedard. They also aren’t further ahead in the rebuild like other teams like CBJ/ANA/Buffalo/etc. They still need to draft and develop to surround Bedard with players he can grow with. 

Getting to the cap floor won’t be trouble for them. Instead it’s an opportunity to keep boosting the rebuild. The market caters to them. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Majority of teams are looking to clear cap. They won’t have a lack of suitors willing to part with players, even quality ones, and add sweeteners to do so. 

Chicago is also one of the few teams with a lot of cap heading to Free Agency with a high profile player in Bedard. They also aren’t further ahead in the rebuild like other teams like CBJ/ANA/Buffalo/etc. They still need to draft and develop to surround Bedard with players he can grow with. 

Getting to the cap floor won’t be trouble for them. Instead it’s an opportunity to keep boosting the rebuild. The market caters to them. 

Hard concept for people to understand in this thread. 

Well said.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

With Bear out with a shoulder surgery and Luke Schenn about to sign with Toronto, Peeke would be an absolute must for us.  100% he will be traded.  I'd do either Garland or Baeuvillier.  Maybe even Hoglander if they wanted him...

What do you see Peeke’s value at now? I see him assessed as a 5/6 defender on a playoff team, which puts him close to Bear.  He has more size/reach than Bear, but not as good skating/passing. He’s also $500k over Bears QO. Is he worth a 2nd? 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, MattWN. said:

JFC, this board...

Assuming Peeke is returning the 11OA is closer to ridiculous than thinking there could be a trade being made around one of our wingers.

Im not sure they’d want Garland considering little Johnny is already there but come on - #4-5 RHD aren’t some magical resource because they’re kinda big.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2