The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Peeke for Garland

7 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

No, but they were both rentals, and a lot older than Peeke.

Peeke has potential to grow, Chariot and Schenn are both what they are.

Peekes cost controlled certainty for a 6'3 RHD is a massive value.

If hes truly available, a team is going to be willing to bite a bullet to take a chance on him.

21 minutes in a shutdown role on one of the worst teams in the league is reason enough to excuse some of his numbers.

Size and RH shot along with his age are all the teams are going to be looking at.

If he didn't fetch a late 1st - early 2nd, I'd be shocked.

Poolman is 6’4

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

I think a 2nd is his market value today.  If it's a contender a late first is also a possibility...

100%,

And if we're talking about a Garland - Peeke trade, that cost goes up.

Don't tell CDC though, Garland is worth a 2nd himself supposedly. 

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Is he? How much of that was being on an injury-riddled team, being asked to do too much?

What do you think his value is?

You're right. 

He isn't awful, he's just been put into a position where there was no option but to fail, on a dogshit team.

Which is why he's worth.. *checks note* Conner Garland? 

• Wat 1

Just now, MattWN. said:

100%,

And if we're talking about a Garland - Peeke trade, that cost goes up.

Don't tell CDC though, Garland is worth a 2nd himself supposedly. 

Garland won't get a 2nd because of the cap.  If the cap wasn't an issue, I think several teams would be interested in Garland even at $4.95 million.  Because of the lack of cap space around the league, guys like Garland are difficult to move.  Even Beauvillier would need a sweetener IMO even though some think we would get a draft pick in return for him because of his age and only one year left. 

If we are looking at moving either Garland or Beau, it would need to be money in, money out.  Garland for Peeke would work if Babcock really likes Garland and also if something else went the other way to Columbus.  Garland and Hoglander for example.  Again, it all depends on what Babcock wants.  He obviously targeted two veteran Dmen in Provorov and Severson.  So, what else is he looking for?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Garland won't get a 2nd because of the cap.  If the cap wasn't an issue, I think several teams would be interested in Garland even at $4.95 million.  Because of the lack of cap space around the league, guys like Garland are difficult to move.  Even Beauvillier would need a sweetener IMO even though some think we would get a draft pick in return for him because of his age and only one year left. 

If we are looking at moving either Garland or Beau, it would need to be money in, money out.  Garland for Peeke would work if Babcock really likes Garland and also if something else went the other way to Columbus.  Garland and Hoglander for example.  Again, it all depends on what Babcock wants.  He obviously targeted two veteran Dmen in Provorov and Severson.  So, what else is he looking for?

They don't need wingers though, like us they have massive holes at C.

Theres no circumstance where they would be okay with taking a negative asset back for one of their biggest bargaining chips in Peeke.

The dollar and term on Garland doesn't fit for a team that doesn't spend to the cap and needs to spend decent cash on a 1st line C to play with Jonny and Laine. 

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Was Poolman ever -41? 
Peekaboo is the Ayatollah of Craperolla 

This is also a team with 7.5 mil committed to Guddy and Andrew “Guddy Jr” Peeke.  

Them re-allocating cap from that situation and putting it towards getting a good forward would be doing *them* a favour.

I don’t see Peeke as a long term solution as Hughes’ partner any more than Poolman was so the fit isn’t there anyways.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

This is also a team with 7.5 mil committed to Guddy and Andrew “Guddy Jr” Peeke.  

Them re-allocating cap from that situation and putting it towards getting a good forward would be doing *them* a favour.

I don’t see Peeke as a long term solution as Hughes’ partner any more than Poolman was so the fit isn’t there anyways.

Yep. They have too much cap allocated to D, like we do on wing. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, MattWN. said:

They don't need wingers though, like us they have massive holes at C.

Theres no circumstance where they would be okay with taking a negative asset back for one of their biggest bargaining chips in Peeke.

The dollar and term on Garland doesn't fit for a team that doesn't spend to the cap and needs to spend decent cash on a 1st line C to play with Jonny and Laine. 

They are drafting Leo Carlsson.  He will be their franchise centre and play with Johnny and Laine.  They also have Jenner, Johnson, Sillinger, Kuraly, even Roslovic.  I don't think they are looking at obtaining a centre.  They need help on the wing.  And they need a goalie, but Elvis is signed long term, so they are kinda stuck there.

Garland like to play his offside, so he could play left wing as well, similar to Laine.  Babcock loves his veterans, so it's not unreasonable to think he likes Garland.  It's the cap that is the problem.  Columbus does have 23 players signed for next season and still have $5.5 million in cap space, so they can take on a $5 million contract and allocate that to the forward group while taking away almost $3 million from the defence.  I am sure they will bring up Jiricek next season, so he would immediately take Peeke's spot.  They are well positioned cap wise right now even with the acquisitions of Severson and Provorov.  I think their next move is to move Peeke for help at forward.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

They are drafting Leo Carlsson.  He will be their franchise centre and play with Johnny and Laine.  They also have Jenner, Johnson, Sillinger, Kuraly, even Roslovic.  I don't think they are looking at obtaining a centre.  They need help on the wing.  And they need a goalie, but Elvis is signed long term, so they are kinda stuck there.

Garland like to play his offside, so he could play left wing as well, similar to Laine.  Babcock loves his veterans, so it's not unreasonable to think he likes Garland.  It's the cap that is the problem.  Columbus does have 23 players signed for next season and still have $5.5 million in cap space, so they can take on a $5 million contract and allocate that to the forward group while taking away almost $3 million from the defence.  I am sure they will bring up Jiricek next season, so he would immediately take Peeke's spot.  They are well positioned cap wise right now even with the acquisitions of Severson and Provorov.  I think their next move is to move Peeke for help at forward.

I could see them upgrading at Center, and Hayes has been mentioned as a target from Philly. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

My only concern is he'd turn into the new whipping boy over Myers.

He will but that’s how we roll. Myers deserved it last year though. He was expensive but ok previous years imo