The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Peeke for Garland

With the addition of Severson, CBJ fans expect Peeke to be traded for a forward.

Their middle six wingers are very thin, and It’s likely Babcock will prefer to play veterans over guys like Johnson or Marchenko.

Garland drives his line, and has great 5 on 5 production.  Sounds like a good fit for a team with questions at 2C.

Are these players far apart in value? Would we have to add?

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

I think every Canucks fan would want to do this deal. We know a winger needs to be moved for cap reasons and Peeke is somewhat young and signed for 3 years at a decent price (if he's top 4 quality). 

I'm just not sure how highly they value him. RHD are often needed by many teams, but it is true they really need quality forwards now that their D group is bolstered. Maybe Garland and Rathbone for Peeke? 

Or Garland and Beau for Peeke and a bottom 6 winger of theirs (to clear some cap). 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Peeke was -41 this past season. IMHAO he's not what we need. 

He'd be ok 16-17 minutes a night if he wasnt part of the shutdown pair

Probably decent as Hughes' partner 5v5, and then Peeke takes some PK time as well

But i dont see him as a upgrade over Bear, except size/grit. 

Only reason id do this deal is to shed cap. But if we did it, it means Bear is on his way out which i dont like. 

• Cheers 3

I'd do it and let Bear walk or flip him for like a 5th or 6th if we could get one

Acquire a young RD who costs roughly 2M less than Garland and save cap by letting Bear walk and slotting someone like Hoglander into Garland's spot 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 3

I think it would be a great trade on both sides. Saves money, adds a big need on defense since Peeke really would replace what Schenn gave us. I love Garland and I love how feisty he plays but he kind of seems like the odd man out on offense right now. But Columbus has a bigger need at wing right now than us.  My concern with Peeke is that I’m not actually sure he’s as good as he’s supposed to be. Either that, or Columbus is just really that bad… 

• There it is 1

Just now, Kenny Powers said:

How about Beauvillier as an alternate?

Maybe as a ufa acquisition if they are in the mix. 

They lack a lot of size and physicality on the wings. They’re kind of soft there. They have a lot of skilled guys on the wing(a lot of which is young/developing). A 3rd overall who will be the face of this core. 

The young players will get better and they have two forwards who can already put up a PPG in Laine and Gaudreau. Offence probably should be a wait and see approach. They needed help of D right away. 

The smart thing for CBJ would be to build up the bottom 6. Hence why guys like Pod/Hog would be more enticing. 

IMO. 

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

He'd be ok 16-17 minutes a night if he wasnt part of the shutdown pair

Probably decent as Hughes' partner 5v5, and then Peeke takes some PK time as well

But i dont see him as a upgrade over Bear, except size/grit. 

Only reason id do this deal is to shed cap. But if we did it, it means Bear is on his way out which i dont like. 

Yeah, Myers needs to be on the move before we trade for RD this offseason.  

Otherwise we wait a year - and that might be best with a lot more cap flexibility upcoming.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Yeah, Myers needs to be on the move before we trade for RD this offseason.  

Otherwise we wait a year - and that might be best with a lot more cap flexibility upcoming.

yea id say wait a year, we still have a bunch of unknowns

1. can OEL regain his 2021 form?

2. how will this D perform with more structure?

3. how close is filip johansson to playing in the nhl?

4. can hirose play for a full season like he did those past few games?

answers to those, plus myers contract expired will paint a clear picture of what to do

• Cheers 3

12 minutes ago, Pears said:

I’ll do you one better by adding the 11th and Hoglander and switching Peeke to Jiricek. 

I'd love Jiricek but I could see CBJ saying no to Garland, Hoglander, and the 11th if they value him as much as those who speak of him in hockey circles 

He sounds like a can't miss top pairing RD to be, bird in hand and all that 

Edited by Coconuts

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd love Jiricek but I could see CBJ saying no to Garland, Hoglander, and the 11th if they value him as much as those who speak of him in hockey circles 

He sounds like a can't miss top pairing RD to be, bird in hand and all that 

Yeah, but them getting Severson and Provorov, he won’t be seeing top 4 minutes any time soon and there isn’t any sense in having him on the bottom pair. I’d still love Peeke but if we wanna be bold, no harm in asking about Jiricek.