The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Peeke for Garland

Seems like some of the takes on here are just being made from a place of trying to protect themselves from disappointment.  

We probably don’t land Peeke but it doesn’t mean he’ll go for a king’s ransom.  Probably just to a team with cap room for a B+ prospect or other non-prime parts.

Also, “no one will trade for with us because they know the bind we’re in” only goes so far.  Between Boeser, Garland and Beauvillier those are 3 productive players who make most team’s middle 6 better.

Do teams have the cap space to take them on right now?  Maybe not.  But that doesn’t mean we’d need to - or will - be giving up significant futures to move them out.  If we get desperate, there’s the Chicago pick swap on the table.  

Rumour has it fairly positive dropping 8 spots would likely grease a trade with Chicago.  That’s the price (and I think it’s too high, would rather stand pat) but it’s not like we’re sinking our 1st just to move those guys. Get real.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

Seems like some of the takes on here are just being made from a place of trying to protect themselves from disappointment.  

We probably don’t land Peeke but it doesn’t mean he’ll go for a king’s ransom.  Probably just to a team with cap room for a B+ prospect or other non-prime parts.

Also, “no one will trade for with us because they know the bind we’re in” only goes so far.  Between Boeser, Garland and Beauvillier those are 3 productive players who make most team’s middle 6 better.

Do teams have the cap space to take them on right now?  Maybe not.  But that doesn’t mean we’d need to - or will - be giving up significant futures to move them out.  If we get desperate, there’s the Chicago pick swap on the table.  

Rumour has it fairly positive dropping 8 spots would likely grease a trade with Chicago.  That’s the price (and I think it’s too high, would rather stand pat) but it’s not like we’re sinking our 1st just to move those guys. Get real.

Bang on. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, MattWN. said:

JFC, this board...

Garland will be a cap dump. 

We will pay a team to take his contract.

Peeke is a 25 year old 6'4 RHD.

Even with his poor numbers last year, he's still fetching a 1st round pick, and maybe a sweetener.

He's cost controlled for another two years at 2.75 per. He has a massive amount of value.

You aren't even on the same planet of value here.

If you want to move Garland and his 3 remaining years of bloated contract for Peeke, you're going to be adding the 11th overall pick, and maybe be getting a 2nd or 3rd round pick back if you're lucky. Guys like Garland aren't hard to find. Big, cost controlled, young, RHD are extremely hard to find.

Please for the love of god people, stop posting these asinine trade proposals.

Peeke’s value isn’t the 11OA pick. That’s a better value than what we paid for Hronek, who is light years better than Peeke, both offensively and defensively. Just because Peeke is a RHD doesn’t assume his value is high. By that logic we should be getting a 1st round pick for Myers. 

Peeke is a defensive Dman who doesn’t put up

any points. He is capable of playing top 4 minutes on an average team. He hasn’t proven he can actually do it on a good team. 

His analytics this year are horrible. He ranks 310 out of 334 Dmen in on ice expected GAA. He’s ranked 288 out of 334 Dmen in on ice high danger shot attempts against. His numbers are obviously horrible because he plays on Columbus. They should improve with a better defensive team just like Gavrikov’s numbers improved. 

He is still a young RHD and I think he can get alot better.  But as of right now his value isn’t anywhere near what you think it is. 

I’d be interested in getting him because he can play with Hughes and just focus on the defensive side of the game. He is basically a young version of Luke Schenn. He doesn’t have much upside on the offensive side so his value will never be anywhere close to a Filip Hronek. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

What do you see Peeke’s value at now? I see him assessed as a 5/6 defender on a playoff team, which puts him close to Bear.  He has more size/reach than Bear, but not as good skating/passing. He’s also $500k over Bears QO. Is he worth a 2nd? 

On a playoff team yes, he's not much better than a 5 Dman.  I rank him higher than Bear though.  Bear doesn't have the same traits as Peeke and doesn't really fit into the top 4 of a good team.  Peeke however could play with Hughes and do quite well.  I think we should go after him hard as Columbus now has no room for him and they don't even consider him in their top 4 right now.  Severson and Boqvist will be ahead of him and Jiricek as well.  

For sure he is worth a second.  I'd do Beau and Hoglander for him.  They may or may not want Garland as they can play Laine, Roslovic and Marchenko on the right side.  Depends what Babcock wants to do.  He prefers veterans so he may not want Hoglander.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

Assuming Peeke is returning the 11OA is closer to ridiculous than thinking there could be a trade being made around one of our wingers.

Im not sure they’d want Garland considering little Johnny is already there but come on - #4-5 RHD aren’t some magical resource because they’re kinda big.

Peeke is now on the 3rd pairing in Columbus after the signing of Severson.  They don't consider him a top 4 Dman.  I would like to see him with Hughes, he is an upgrade on Bear and Schenn.  But in no world is Peeke getting traded for a top 11 pick in the draft.  That is actually better value than what we got for Hronek, who is miles better than Peeke...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

With the addition of Severson, CBJ fans expect Peeke to be traded for a forward.

Their middle six wingers are very thin, and It’s likely Babcock will prefer to play veterans over guys like Johnson or Marchenko.

Garland drives his line, and has great 5 on 5 production.  Sounds like a good fit for a team with questions at 2C.

Are these players far apart in value? Would we have to add?

I like that kind of trade Peeke 2.7 million X 3 yrs --- Garland 4.9 X 3 yrs-- Might have to retain 1 million..

Peeke 25 - 6'3  RD - stay at home was playing 24 minutes with Werenski 2021-2022 season # 4 Man would fit good with Hughes.

Columbus added 2 very good D man this week with Provorov 26 LD  and Severson 28 RD

1. Werenski 25 - LD  9.5 mil X 5 yrs  2. Provorsov 26 2yrs X 4.7 mil  LD 3. Severson 28  6.3  4.Peeke 25 RD -3 yrs X 2.7 mil

5. Boqvist 22 RD  2 yrs X 2.6     6.Gudbranson 31  - 3 yrs X 4 mil Columbus also have some young D that are ready to move to NHL

Would like to see Vancouver make trade for Peeke 25 -RD 6'3

Columbus could use a Garland for sure..

• Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Peeke is now on the 3rd pairing in Columbus after the signing of Severson.  They don't consider him a top 4 Dman.  I would like to see him with Hughes, he is an upgrade on Bear and Schenn.  But in no world is Peeke getting traded for a top 11 pick in the draft.  That is actually better value than what we got for Hronek, who is miles better than Peeke...

No way is Peeke 25 worth 11th O/A pick. I like Peeke would play well with Hughes but can't over pay for him..

Peeke is much better then Bear.. Peeke could play 22-24 mins , solid  #4 guy

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS, cap savings too baby, Peeke is a 4/5 

I would still add another R D - Mayfield, dumba, Clifton all good options, 

CBJ is crazy to give Severson all that $$$

Dumba will cost 6 million- -Mayfield 6'5 - 30 RD -due for bigger contract then previous 1.4 million --( 3 --3.5 mil )X 4 yrs

I like Peeke solid # 4 D man 25 --6'3 -- stay at home D.  ----

Hughes - Peeke

8 minutes ago, wildcam said:

No way is Peeke 25 worth 11th O/A pick. I like Peeke would play well with Hughes but can't over pay for him..

I agree.  I am hoping that Allvin is on the phone right now.  Bear is gonna be out long term so we may not even quailfy him.  Schenn looks like he is signing in Toronto.  So that leaves Hronek and Myers on the right side, with Woo and McWard in the AHL.  Burroughs and Juulsen are UFA's, so one of those guys may be re-signed.  But we really don't have anyone to play with Hughes.  Peeke would be a great partner for him...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  I am hoping that Allvin is on the phone right now.  Bear is gonna be out long term so we may not even quailfy him.  Schenn looks like he is signing in Toronto.  So that leaves Hronek and Myers on the right side, with Woo and McWard in the AHL.  Burroughs and Juulsen are UFA's, so one of those guys may be re-signed.  But we really don't have anyone to play with Hughes.  Peeke would be a great partner for him...

Agreed. Would love to acquire Peeke and sign Juulsen to a two way for depth. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS, cap savings too baby, Peeke is a 4/5 

I would still add another R D - Mayfield, dumba, Clifton all good options, 

CBJ is crazy to give Severson all that $$$

I disagree. Severson was a force for the Devils 2 seasons ago when Hamilton went down to injury. This year he was pushed down their depth chart. I think he will be very good for CLB. When you consider what he brings to the table and is only making 250 G's more per year than Myers, that is not bad. Myers is definitely not a top pairing d man, whereas Severson has shown he can handle that load and excel at it.

2 seasons ago he put up 48 points and quarterbacked their power play. Last season he was not on the 1st PP unit and was mainly utilized on the 3rd pairing and had less minutes but still put up a respectable 33 points. I think playing top minutes on CLB, he will be a 35-45 point guy annually for the next 4-5 years. 

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Yeah, that was (ironically) the dumbest thing I’ve read in awhile. There’s no trade for Peeke that yields our first, no matter what we’re sending back.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

He'd be ok 16-17 minutes a night if he wasnt part of the shutdown pair

Probably decent as Hughes' partner 5v5, and then Peeke takes some PK time as well

But i dont see him as a upgrade over Bear, except size/grit. 

Only reason id do this deal is to shed cap. But if we did it, it means Bear is on his way out which i dont like. 

I didn't realize that Bear was injured at the World Championships and is debating shoulder surgery vs physio therapy.  Surgery would mean missing a couple of months of the season

40 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I like that kind of trade Peeke 2.7 million X 3 yrs --- Garland 4.9 X 3 yrs-- Might have to retain 1 million..

Peeke 25 - 6'3  RD - stay at home was playing 24 minutes with Werenski 2021-2022 season # 4 Man would fit good with Hughes.

Columbus added 2 very good D man this week with Provorov 26 LD  and Severson 28 RD

1. Werenski 25 - LD  9.5 mil X 5 yrs  2. Provorsov 26 2yrs X 4.7 mil  LD 3. Severson 28  6.3  4.Peeke 25 RD -3 yrs X 2.7 mil

5. Boqvist 22 RD  2 yrs X 2.6     6.Gudbranson 31  - 3 yrs X 4 mil Columbus also have some young D that are ready to move to NHL

Would like to see Vancouver make trade for Peeke 25 -RD 6'3

Columbus could use a Garland for sure..

I could live with $1M retention. Think I’d prefer that to adding a prospect like Höglander

3 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

Garland = 2nd round 

Peeke = 2nd round 

Garland = small size, higher cap, wing

Peeke = bigger size, lower cap, Dman

I expect Garland + late round pick for Peeke.

Fair assessment. Maybe Garland and a 4th?