The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Peeke for Garland

22 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Is he? How much of that was being on an injury-riddled team, being asked to do too much?

What do you think his value is?

His value is zero to us. We have Hronek, Myers, Woo, Juulsson. Peeke would be overpaid to play on our club. He’s pretty much Poolman IMHAO. 
If to dumperoo Garlsnd’s contract we have to take a contract back then that’s the only reason I can see taking Peekaboo. We clear a bit of cap space. 

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

His value is zero to us. We have Hronek, Myers, Woo, Juulsson. Peeke would be overpaid to play on our club. He’s pretty much Poolman IMHAO. 
If to dumperoo Garlsnd’s contract we have to take a contract back then that’s the only reason I can see taking Peekaboo. We clear a bit of cap space. 

Will disagree there. That’s only two proven NHL defenders on the right side.

Juulsen is unsigned for now, but hoping we lock him up soon

Bear should get a one to three year deal.

Myers and Hronek Woo McWard Johansson

That's 6 RHD that we have if Bear signs,if not then yes maybe another guy for one year till another is ready.

Why are people wanting Peeke so bad?He is like Myers from the thirty games I saw him play last year.

It's really hard to get a read on what they think of Peeke, and also, how good or bad he is. Statistically he was one of the worst defencemen in the league last year, but they had a terrible team with injuries everywhere. Peeke was partly to blame for a lot of the bad defence too, but he is a solid young physical, strong shutdown RD. With better support and a better defensive structure (eg. with Hughes under Tocchet, or with someone like even Provorov under Babcock) he could be a great defenceman again and he's on a bargain contract.

I think he'd be a perfect buy-low kind of guy, he may not be the Schneider-type young shutdown RD everyone thinks he'll be but he could be like a younger version of Schenn - play him with Hughes, log 18 minutes, mainly 5-on-5 and some 2nd tier PK minutes and try to groom him, if he develops well he can become a 20-22 minute top PK guy, if not, he'll be a very serviceable partner for Hughes technically playing on our top pairing but playing bottom pairing minutes, so bit of a specific role.

The problem is, what do CBJ think of him? They might want to move on, after acquiring Provorov and Severson. Their defence as it currently stands looks like this:

Werenski - Severson

Provorov - Peeke

Bean - Boqvist

Gudbranson

Blankenburg

You could argue the top-3 are pretty set, the bottom 3 guys could be any one of those 5 players. They kind of have to play 4M Gudbranson or they look silly but Blankenburg was arguably the best of the bunch at the end of last year. Bean was huge for them 2 years ago and injured so expect a big come-back year from him and it looked like Boqvist was stealing minutes from Peeke. He certainly seems like the odd man out after taking the brunt of the losing last year but he is locked in for a long time so they may want to build around him. Regardless, they have to move a defenceman, they simply have too many, even if it's Boqvist, Blankenburg or Bean. I wouldn't mind a swing at any of those guys to be honest.

Based on minutes, I think Blankenburg and Boqvist probably are their favourites over Peeke and Bean.

I'd be happy to part with Beauvillier or Garland to be honest and we'd probably have to add something too. Boeser is just a bit too rich for my blood but you know they'll ask for him. No point adding Rathbone if they're stacked on D and Hoglander/Podolzin again is a bit too much value going back. Maybe Beau/Garland + 3rd (that they lost in the Severson deal) would suffice?

There's definitely a deal to be done with CBJ and we should be swarming them - they have plenty of good young RDs, need a winger, it's a great match.

• Upvote 1

Sat and Riccio discussed this proposal on Canucks Central. Sat compared Peeke to Poolman…said he’s big, but doesn’t bring any nastiness. Also went on to discuss who has worked with Hughes, and who hasn’t. He thought the biggest success factor was IQ / awareness

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Sat and Riccio discussed this proposal on Canucks Central. Sat compared Peeke to Poolman…said he’s big, but doesn’t bring any nastiness. Also went on to discuss who has worked with Hughes, and who hasn’t. He thought the biggest success factor was IQ / awareness

I'm not sure I would agree on Peeke being another Poolman.  Poolman has never played a full season in the NHL, doesn't block many shots, doesn't hit and doesn't really PK.  Peeke has played 80/82 games the last 2 years, averages over 21 minutes a night, averages close to 200 hits and 200 blocks the last 2 seasons, and averages over 250 minutes per year on the PK.  That's a pretty big difference than Tucker Poolman.  

Sure, Peeke doesn't bring nastiness, but neither do alot of other guys in the NHL.  Tanev was a great partner for Hughes, he's not nasty.  Peeke has a similar game to Tanev IMO but with way more blocked shots.  Peeke isn't like Schenn, but Schenn also isn't great on the PK and doesn't block alot of shots either and isn't a very good skater.  There have been lots of times Schenn has been caught out of position after a big hit too...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'm not sure I would agree on Peeke being another Poolman.  Poolman has never played a full season in the NHL, doesn't block many shots, doesn't hit and doesn't really PK.  Peeke has played 80/82 games the last 2 years, averages over 21 minutes a night, averages close to 200 hits and 200 blocks the last 2 seasons, and averages over 250 minutes per year on the PK.  That's a pretty big difference than Tucker Poolman.  

Sure, Peeke doesn't bring nastiness, but neither do alot of other guys in the NHL.  Tanev was a great partner for Hughes, he's not nasty.  Peeke has a similar game to Tanev IMO but with way more blocked shots.  Peeke isn't like Schenn, but Schenn also isn't great on the PK and doesn't block alot of shots either and isn't a very good skater.  There have been lots of times Schenn has been caught out of position after a big hit too...

Peeke isn’t a smart player or the terrific skater Tanev is. He’s slow to pucks. Hughes can carry any partner but if he has a Tanev that allows him to move forward more. Peeke would be fine if it’s a one for one for Garland. We save on cap and get a guy who can play on our bottom pairing. It’s a reallocation of cap. Woo looks ready. It’s good to have guys compete for spots providing their contract doesn’t default them to winning it. 

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Peeke’s value isn’t the 11OA pick. That’s a better value than what we paid for Hronek, who is light years better than Peeke, both offensively and defensively. Just because Peeke is a RHD doesn’t assume his value is high. By that logic we should be getting a 1st round pick for Myers. 

Peeke is a defensive Dman who doesn’t put up

any points. He is capable of playing top 4 minutes on an average team. He hasn’t proven he can actually do it on a good team. 

His analytics this year are horrible. He ranks 310 out of 334 Dmen in on ice expected GAA. He’s ranked 288 out of 334 Dmen in on ice high danger shot attempts against. His numbers are obviously horrible because he plays on Columbus. They should improve with a better defensive team just like Gavrikov’s numbers improved. 

He is still a young RHD and I think he can get alot better.  But as of right now his value isn’t anywhere near what you think it is. 

I’d be interested in getting him because he can play with Hughes and just focus on the defensive side of the game. He is basically a young version of Luke Schenn. He doesn’t have much upside on the offensive side so his value will never be anywhere close to a Filip Hronek. 

You're not taking into account it will take a 2nd round pick to move off of Garlands contract in the original proposal, the remaining value of acquiring Peeke would make up the difference, with maybe a 3rd coming back, which is what my original reply stated. 

I never said Peeke in a vacuum is worth a 1st. Garlands cost and term is a negative asset. Regardless of Peeke being a 4-5 defenceman skill wise, he played top 3 minutes last year which is going to inflate his cost. If guys like Chariot return a 1st plus, theres no reason to expect CBJ to be taking a cap dump as a return.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Peeke isn’t a smart player or the terrific skater Tanev is. He’s slow to pucks. Hughes can carry any partner but if he has a Tanev that allows him to move forward more. Peeke would be fine if it’s a one for one for Garland. We save on cap and get a guy who can play on our bottom pairing. It’s a reallocation of cap. Woo looks ready. It’s good to have guys compete for spots providing their contract doesn’t default them to winning it. 

If Peeke is traded to the Canucks he is 100% playing with Hughes.  He won't be on the 3rd pairing.  You are forgetting Myers is still on the team.  Myers will be 3rd pairing.  Woo hasn't even played an NHL game yet, so I am not putting him into the starting lineup at all.  He could make the team as a 7/8 Dman if other guys aren't signed...

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Peeke is traded to the Canucks he is 100% playing with Hughes.  He won't be on the 3rd pairing.  You are forgetting Myers is still on the team.  Myers will be 3rd pairing.  Woo hasn't even played an NHL game yet, so I am not putting him into the starting lineup at all.  He could make the team as a 7/8 Dman if other guys aren't signed...

Nope. Peeke is a defensive disaster. He was minus 41 last season. Quinn is fabulous and could carry Peeke, if needed. But honestly Myers is a much better player than Peeke. It’s just Myers is paid too much. Woo is better than Peeke for what we need. Alf hates the Peekaboo. 

8 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

You're not taking into account it will take a 2nd round pick to move off of Garlands contract in the original proposal, the remaining value of acquiring Peeke would make up the difference, with maybe a 3rd coming back, which is what my original reply stated. 

I never said Peeke in a vacuum is worth a 1st. Garlands cost and term is a negative asset. Regardless of Peeke being a 4-5 defenceman skill wise, he played top 3 minutes last year which is going to inflate his cost. If guys like Chariot return a 1st plus, theres no reason to expect CBJ to be taking a cap dump as a return.

Chiarot was acquired at the trade deadline.  Usually that is when teams overpay the most to get that last one piece.  So not sure we can use that trade as a comparable.  Schenn helped Toronto alot more than Chiarot helped Florida and Schenn went for only a 3rd even though he is a RHD.

I also don't think Columbus will take a cap dump in order to trade Peeke.  I'm sure he can be traded on his own.  Babcock probably wants a player in return though, I doubt he is interested in a draft pick.  If he likes Garland that could be a deal that is made.  More than likely if Peeke is shopped around he would get something better than Garland.  Columbus is loading up so I am sure they are looking for players to help fill the roster not draft picks.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Nope. Peeke is a defensive disaster. He was minus 41 last season. Quinn is fabulous and could carry Peeke, if needed. But honestly Myers is a much better player than Peeke. It’s just Myers is paid too much. Woo is better than Peeke for what we need. Alf hates the Peekaboo. 

alf2.gif

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Chiarot was acquired at the trade deadline.  Usually that is when teams overpay the most to get that last one piece.  So not sure we can use that trade as a comparable.  Schenn helped Toronto alot more than Chiarot helped Florida and Schenn went for only a 3rd even though he is a RHD.

I also don't think Columbus will take a cap dump in order to trade Peeke.  I'm sure he can be traded on his own.  Babcock probably wants a player in return though, I doubt he is interested in a draft pick.  If he likes Garland that could be a deal that is made.  More than likely if Peeke is shopped around he would get something better than Garland.  Columbus is loading up so I am sure they are looking for players to help fill the roster not draft picks.  

No, but they were both rentals, and a lot older than Peeke.

Peeke has potential to grow, Chariot and Schenn are both what they are.

Peekes cost controlled certainty for a 6'3 RHD is a massive value.

If hes truly available, a team is going to be willing to bite a bullet to take a chance on him.

21 minutes in a shutdown role on one of the worst teams in the league is reason enough to excuse some of his numbers.

Size and RH shot along with his age are all the teams are going to be looking at.

If he didn't fetch a late 1st - early 2nd, I'd be shocked.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, MattWN. said:

If hes truly available, a team is going to be willing to bite a bullet to take a chance on him.

21 minutes in a shutdown role on one of the worst teams in the league is reason enough to excuse some of his numbers.

Size and RH shot along with his age are all the teams are going to be looking at.

Prepare to be shocked. 

22 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’d be thrilled if Woo made the team as a 7/8. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

I think a 2nd is his market value today.  If it's a contender a late first is also a possibility.  More than likely he is traded for a forward though...

Edited by Elias Pettersson