The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

33 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Without Myers, the team only has 3 dmen signed to the roster (Huggy, Hronny + Brise).  Change is

coming.

As a positive, lots of larger players available in UFA / rumoured on the trade block.

Adding 1 or 2 to the back end could go a long way. 

4 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

What long term? It is 1 $2M dead cap in 8 years with rising cap if bought him out next year. Unless you want o advocate for riding his contract out which is way more detrimental to the team. That is equivalent to saying we give up for the next 4 years. 

It is not like the dead cap amount gonna change much if waited a year or two. Go look at the numbers. 

you dont look at the big picture.. in year 3 and 4 which is probably when the team is going to be competitive if they are ever going to be competitive the cap penalty is 4.8mil. the canucks are more than likely going to spend every penny of this cap saving the 7mil this year on a replacement top 4 D.. the 7mil they spend this year.. + the cap penalty in year 3 and 4 essentially we spent 12mil on 1 player. if we didn't buy out OEL.. and then add a 4.8mil defenceman in year 3 and 4 where we are supposively competitive.. even if we have to use OEL as a 3rd pairing guy exclusively.. the defence would be much more competitive than whatever we add this year.. and OEL's cap would be completely off the book or if we are lucky OEL might be on LTIR his final season or 2 which is very possible too. u can hate all you want on OEL as really his advance stats is not as bad as his stats looked thx to atrocious goaltending the entire season. dumb short sighted move with the goal of making the playoff this year without looking at our actual window which is prolly year 3-5

Hughes ???

(4.8mil player) Hronek

OEL minimum player

or 

Hughes ???

(6-7mil replacement for OEL) Hronek

2 minimum bottom 6

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, dougieL said:

@coryberg  Hey it wasn't me who posted that twitter link this time :P

If you must know Daniel and Henrik were far from the general manager, not even the assistant General manager. In fact at the time they were hired on merits only. Great hockey players, great human beings, NOT SEASONED SCOUTS. For you to have taken their words for bond is pretty ridiculous. They were basically recruited and hired from a PR standpoint, did you expect them to crap on their bosses decision?

Let it go man.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, coryberg said:

If you must know Daniel and Henrik were far from the general manager, not even the assistant General manager. In fact at the time they were hired on merits only. Great hockey players, great human beings, NOT SEASONED SCOUTS. For you to have taken their words for bond is pretty ridiculous. They were basically recruited and hired from a PR standpoint, did you expect them to crap on their bosses decision?

Let it go man.

I agree with everything you said. But Benning did said himself that they convinced him to add the second round pick to complete the deal. I just get tired of the Sedins being viewed as legends beyond reproach. I feel there must be some acknowledgement of the role they have played in the current state of the team (both good and bad).

5 minutes ago, dougieL said:

I agree with everything you said. But Benning did said himself that they convinced him to add the second round pick to complete the deal. I just get tired of the Sedins being viewed as legends beyond reproach. I feel there must be some acknowledgement of the role they have played in the current state of the team (both good and bad).

That makes Benning the idiot. No wait... he proved that before the fact.:bigblush:

The sedins have a lot to learn. Hopefully they learn their lessons and earn their stripes but as it sits now they are glorified cheerleaders and mentors for the team. I wouldn't blame them for anything, their role is to be positive and it be positive influences to the team and its players. I see no fault of theirs.

• Upvote 1

Just now, tas said:

did this goof omit the largest defenceman from all the other teams he referenced before working out their averages, too?

:lol: I totally agree with that.

However, it feels like we’re moving on from Myers sooner or later so we should be looking to add a bigger body or two if it makes sense.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I remember the summer before the OEL trade and lots of chatter that Benning was interested in trading for him. But there was so much negativity about OEL’s fall in play and his contract being the worst in the league I thought there’s no way we would trade for him. Then the next summer Benning (for only reasons known to himself and Wisebrod) mske the worst trade in our club’s history. And after at least a year of negative stories about OEL! It just made no sense. Benning :picard:

Yeah I remember laughing at Arizona when they signed the original deal. Never in my life did I think it would end up on our books. I was stunned beyond belief when the Canucks made this trade.

Just now, ilduce39 said:

:lol: I totally agree with that.

However, it feels like we’re moving on from Myers sooner or later so we should be looking to add a bigger body or two if it makes sense.

sure, but juicing your stats to try to strengthen your point is what shyster's with bad arguments do. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Without Myers, the team only has 3 dmen signed to the roster (Huggy, Hronny + Brise).  Change is

coming.

If is just the three defenders the math doesn’t add up. Hughes 5’10, Hronek 6’, Breezer 6’2” that’s average of 6ft
maybe poster added Rathbone who is 5’10 just to make his point

5 minutes ago, coryberg said:

That makes Benning the idiot. No wait... he proved that before the fact.:bigblush:

The sedins have a lot to learn. Hopefully they learn their lessons and earn their stripes but as it sits now they are glorified cheerleaders and mentors for the team. I wouldn't blame them for anything, their role is to be positive and it be positive influences to the team and its players. I see no fault of theirs.

Not going to argue that Benning's time here was a complete and utter failure. But to be fair - the current main pillars of this team (Demko, Hughes, Pettersson, Miller) were all acquired under his watch. How much credit he gets for those players is of course open to debate.

Edited by dougieL

1 minute ago, mordekai said:

If is just the three defenders the math doesn’t add up. Hughes 5’10, Hronek 6’, Breezer 6’2” that’s average of 6ft
maybe poster added Rathbone who is 5’10 just to make his point

how are we even defining average? mean? median? is that sensible?

Why are we assuming we're spending $5-6 million on a replacement for OEL?

We're going to have to look for Vet's or young players to be our top 7 D-men.

Guys like Erik Gustafsson was fine until he went to Toronto. And he made $800,000 last season. He got 38 points in 61 games for the Caps.

We need to find value signings. Not go after the big names.

If guys like Soucy have an affordable contract, that's fine too.

We have to look for other guys like Schenn, etc.

Guys with bang for the buck, and work on starting developing defencemen.

Maybe see if we can trade some wingers for defencemen that are ready to make the jump from the minors to the NHL.

12 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Why are we assuming we're spending $5-6 million on a replacement for OEL?

We're going to have to look for Vet's or young players to be our top 7 D-men.

Guys like Erik Gustafsson was fine until he went to Toronto. And he made $800,000 last season. He got 38 points in 61 games for the Caps.

We need to find value signings. Not go after the big names.

If guys like Soucy have an affordable contract, that's fine too.

We have to look for other guys like Schenn, etc.

Guys with bang for the buck, and work on starting developing defencemen.

Maybe see if we can trade some wingers for defencemen that are ready to make the jump from the minors to the NHL.

The problem with that, I think, is that every team is chasing that value deal.

Buying out OEL presents an opportunity to buy where several major players are strapped against the cap (and perhaps even ripe to take a good player from.)

I agree this isn’t the offseason to drop a 6x6 on Ryan Graves but it isn’t the offseason to nickel and dime that cap space away either with safe picks. (Not that that’s what you’re saying) 

added in edit: I think we need to see one high quality player added with this space or it’s a bit of a waste at this point.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Cheers 1