The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Pick your favourite trade

[proposal] Pick your favourite trade  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1. Jets made the playoffs despite being 21st in scoring. They want players with term. Conor Garland would provide both scoring and come with some term. They have a surplus of d-men and haven't come to terms with Logan Stanley yet. He is projected to sign for just over a million and would give us a 6th/7th d-man that can play on the penalty kill. Jets would have to add some draft capital to make this work as Garland is the much better and more proven player. Garland is 27, Stanley is 25.
  2. Nashville will be looking to make a splash at the draft, they finished the season on a strong note and almost made the playoffs. They have a lot of centers and finished 28th in league scoring last year. Colton Scissons is a 29 year old right-handed center who has a 2.9 mil/year cap hit for three more years. He would be probably looking at a 2 mil/year contract this off-season if he was a UFA so he's not terribly overpaid. Nils Hoglander for Scissons + 3rd round pick would be a pretty fair value deal.  Boeser and Rathbone make Nashville younger and provide the splash as Boeser is still a big name.  Scissons and Fabbri provide us with players that we need. 
  3. Washington Capitals are looking to start slowly bottoming out while allowing Ovi to chase the goal record. Trevor van Riemsdyk is a 31 year old right shot dman that plays on the PK and is signed at 3 mil/year for another 3 years. Doing a swap for Ethan Bear would accomplish two things for the Capitals, it would help them get younger and the fact that he will be out for 6 months will help them with their tank season.
  4. NY Islanders still need more scoring and Jean-Gabriel Pageau could be shaken loose although he does carry a 5 million cap hit for another three years.  Seems like a swap that could benefit both teams. 
Edited by VancouverHabitant

That Nashville trade seems too good to give up. Scissons will give Raty time to develop in the A, and if he is good to go in under 3 years, we can always flip him at a deadline.

I'm assuming you meant Dante Fabbro as Fabbri plays for Detroit. He seems like he has something more to offer. Maybe Tocchet, Foote and Gonchar can get it out of him.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, bones said:

That Nashville trade seems too good to give up. Scissons will give Raty time to develop in the A, and if he is good to go in under 3 years, we can always flip him at a deadline.

I'm assuming you meant Dante Fabbro as Fabbri plays for Detroit. He seems like he has something more to offer. Maybe Tocchet, Foote and Gonchar can get it out of him.

Yes, good call...  I got some names mixed up there while making the poll...  

Fabbro has been rumoured to be on the move for a while out of Nashville and now with Jake Livingstone in Nashville I figured that Fabbro would be available.  

Yeah, Scissons would be a nice way to insulate Raty.  I do wonder if three years is too long of a term to take on.  

12 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Winnipeg.

Is there a precedent for trading 2 third round picks for a mid- 2nd round pick?

Here are some examples from the last few years...  

https://www.capfriendly.com/trades?min-draftpicks=3&event=draft&date=06012018-07262021&round=2-3

2021 late 2nd rounder (59th) for a 3rd (72nd) and a 4th (109th) 

2019 late 2nd rounder (59th overall again) for a 3rd (73rd) and a 4th (99th) 

2019 2nd rounder (55th overall) for 2 x 3rd round picks (82nd and 91st overall) 

We currently hold the following:  75th, 89th, 105th, 107th, and 119th picks (2 x 3rd rounders, 3 x 4th rounders).  Allvin has hinted in an interview that we will be looking to get back into the 2nd round. 

Looks like using up the 75th and 89th should be good enough to get into the 50 to 55 range if there is someone there that we like.  

I can't wait for the draft!

Problem with the first trade is the cap isn’t considered in the value. Garland is a decent player but has a significant contract. Cap is at its most valuable. If they are taking an increase of $3.5M on top of Stanley’s cost that is significant penalty. They would want more I suspect. 
JPG is best player in that list so would take that trade. 
I would wave Bear just for the added cap flexibility. Can always talk to him in December if there is a need or space. Getting an asset for him may be worth it as long as contract expires before our cap penalty jumps in 2 years. 
Would also consider taking short term LTIR money back as we won’t be a contender for a few years. 

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

I said BB to NYI as makes sense.

Or Boeser in the Nashville deal.  Neither will happen, of course, but those are two that for sure help us. Rather see Garland go instead of Beoswr in either of these two. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, cripplereh said:

I said BB to NYI as makes sense.

I do too, but Pageau has a 16 team no trade clause.  Assuming that the Nucks are on his list, maybe the Isles

will go do a Cizikis + Romanov for Boeser trade.

Sissons, Johansen, Glass and Novak.   That's only 4 Cs.   Duchene has been playing wing.  Parsinnen is also a C but he is waiver free and might not make the team. Novak has also never played a full season.  Jankowski and McCarron are AHL call-ups.

Trotz says Nashville is caught in the mushy middle and need to add high end players to become an elite team that can win the Cup.  

Trozt says he wants a fast offensive team but to play offence they also need players to play defence so that their offensive guys aren't the ones running around in the d-zone.  Someone has to be able to move the puck out of the D-zone to let their offensive guys take over.  Sissons does that.  

625 D-zone face-offs when their next is at 220.  335 on the PK where their next is at 60 (Jankowski who isn't even projected to make their team).  He would leave a pretty large hole in their lineup.  

He's likely available but can't imagine the price would be Boeser/Garland when Trotz insists of how cap space is so valuable.  Trotz seems to be hoping to add high end assets/players to help them get out of that mushy middle.  Nashville under no pressure to compete next season with Trotz saying step back to take leaps forward.

Edited by mll

7 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yes, good call...  I got some names mixed up there while making the poll...  

Fabbro has been rumoured to be on the move for a while out of Nashville and now with Jake Livingstone in Nashville I figured that Fabbro would be available.  

Yeah, Scissons would be a nice way to insulate Raty.  I do wonder if three years is too long of a term to take on.  

They extended him at the TDL when there was trade interest.  He was even rumoured to SJS.   Sounds like they want to give him another look.  New coach / new system.  

11 hours ago, mll said:

They extended him at the TDL when there was trade interest.  He was even rumoured to SJS.   Sounds like they want to give him another look.  New coach / new system.  

Which one of their RD do you think will shake loose? They have 5 on the roster and Lauzon who plays both sides. 

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

If NAS is willing to unload both Sissons and Fabbro for only Boeser and Rathbone, you take that and run for the hills lmao.

I mean Scissons is gonna be 30 soon. 

He's a useful player but isn't far from being a 4th line center making 3 mil. 

Rathbone outperformed Nils Lundkvist at the AHL level, and I think that we underrate his value around here because he didn't crack our lineup. In reality Hughes and OEL on the left side made it so that it was impossible for him to get a spot on our left side because of the fit. 

52 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Which one of their RD do you think will shake loose? They have 5 on the roster and Lauzon who plays both sides. 

Daugherty who covers Nashville doesn't think Foote will get qualified.  Doesn't even think they'll sign him for Milwaukee.

Livingstone is 24 but he is still waiver free.  They always say the road to Nashville goes through Milwaukee - Nashville just extended their partnership with Milwaukee and Trotz repeated just that.  Whether he makes the team will depend on his training camp.  

Livingstone played with Barrie to end the season although both are RDs.  

Wouldn't count Lauzon as being a roster regular but he can be an extra D or be waived to Milwaukee.  

Nashville not under pressure to compete next season so they can be picky on the trades they make.  They really don't need to move anyone unless they get the return they want which is what Trotz says - insists that he's patient and won't make a trade unless he gets what he wants.  Nashville probably emboldened after the trades they made this TDL - Jeannot, Ekholm and Granlund were some pretty impressive if not lopsided returns.  

His patience showed with the process of the Brunette hiring.  Quite a few coaches were apparently upset that Nashville took so long to decide on Hynes but Trotz explained that he would have kept Hynes if he didn't get the coach he wanted.  

Right now it's just him exposing his plan so unknown if words/actions are going to align, and also to see his definition of high end/patience etc. 

Edited by mll
  • Vintage 1