The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Carson Soucy

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

Cole was playing over 19 mins on a very good team last year?

Soucy playing,, 3rd pairing sheltered .. Sign Soucy 4 yrs X 4 million? Gudbranson--- Big troubles..

Sign Cole way better player for 2 yrs max deal.. Can play #4 and PK. 2.2 X 2 yrs max...

This is nothing to do with ex player they had 5 yrs ago.. Fact Cole is much better at 34 then Soucy..

Cole TOI over 19 mins

On 6/27/2023 at 11:40 AM, Kenny Powers said:

He turns 29 in a month. Term here will be key. Max 4 years, please

Another player that is likely headed to the free agency market is defenseman Carson Soucy. Frank Seravalli of Daily Faceoff is reporting that the Seattle Kraken and the hulking defenseman had discussions about an extension, but it appears that at this point he is going to unrestricted free agency and will be in a new uniform next season.

This past season Soucy finished last in Kraken defensemen for points and ice time, however, he will still be a significant loss on the backend for Seattle. Together with offensive defenseman Justin Schultz, they formed one of the top third-defensive pairings in the NHL last season, which is what will ultimately price Soucy out of Seattle.

Soucy had three goals and 13 assists in 78 games last season and while he will never an offensive defenseman, he may be paid like one given that he’ll be entering a very weak free-agent market for defensemen. Soucy can bring a lot to a new team, he can play on both sides of the ice, has a bomb from the point, and is a good penalty killer. The one caveat to Soucy’s recent success is that he’s played sheltered minutes for the past two seasons. If a team pays him like a second-pairing defenseman, they might be very disappointed with the results.

Just now, wildcam said:

Another player that is likely headed to the free agency market is defenseman Carson Soucy. Frank Seravalli of Daily Faceoff is reporting that the Seattle Kraken and the hulking defenseman had discussions about an extension, but it appears that at this point he is going to unrestricted free agency and will be in a new uniform next season.

This past season Soucy finished last in Kraken defensemen for points and ice time, however, he will still be a significant loss on the backend for Seattle. Together with offensive defenseman Justin Schultz, they formed one of the top third-defensive pairings in the NHL last season, which is what will ultimately price Soucy out of Seattle.

Soucy had three goals and 13 assists in 78 games last season and while he will never an offensive defenseman, he may be paid like one given that he’ll be entering a very weak free-agent market for defensemen. Soucy can bring a lot to a new team, he can play on both sides of the ice, has a bomb from the point, and is a good penalty killer. The one caveat to Soucy’s recent success is that he’s played sheltered minutes for the past two seasons. If a team pays him like a second-pairing defenseman, they might be very disappointed with the results.

Please no not another Gudbranson over pay for #6 D man because he is 6'5 220 lbs no no

Chase Ryan Graves 6'5 -220 lbs   # 4 LD he will cost  4 yrs X 4.5 million? Over Canucks budget

• Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman cites colleague Jeff Marek to report that the two restricted free agents the Nashville Predators will issue qualifying offers are center Cody Glass and defenseman Alexandre Carrier. That means notable players such as 2017 first-round pick Cal Foote and capable defensive winger Rasmus Asplund will hit the open market. It’s somewhat a surprise to see Foote go unqualified, seeing that he was recently acquired as part of the Tanner Jeannottrade and does have a first-round pedigree.
  • Sam Steel won’t be issued a qualifying offer by the Minnesota Wild, according to The Athletic’s Michael Russo. Steel had a decent season with the Wild, scoring 10 goals and 28 points playing at times in the team’s number-one center role.

Could the Canucks try and sign Cal Foote 24 - 6'5-220 - RD  worth chasing 1 yrs X 950,000 million show me more..One way deal?

Big has toughness worth  a chance still young? 2017 -- 14th O/A

How about Sam Steel #3 C?  Another prospect not worked out?

• Cheers 1

Soucy is fine as a bottom pairing but I don't want the team to commit a 4-yr contract like the Poolman deal. Poolman if not injured would have been a pylon and probably bought out long time ago. If we have to overbid to sign a player - DON'T. I would try to go for 1-2 yr signings to fill the bottom pairing and you might be able to flip them at TDL for a small return. Be patient and wait for a better UFA market.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, canuckwings said:

Soucy is fine as a bottom pairing but I don't want the team to commit a 4-yr contract like the Poolman deal. Poolman if not injured would have been a pylon and probably bought out long time ago. If we have to overbid to sign a player - DON'T. I would try to go for 1-2 yr signings to fill the bottom pairing and you might be able to flip them at TDL for a small return. Be patient and wait for a better UFA market.

If the prices are too high/terms too long, what’s the worst d roster you’d be okay with, if it meant being patient?

Just now, Kenny Powers said:

If the prices are too high/terms too long, what’s the worst d roster you’d be okay with, if it meant being patient?

Probably an unpopular opinion but I would be okay with having OEL back for another year, but I get why they bought him out because we're over the cap. 

We've just gone through so many horrid contracts because the team can't help themselves at the TDL and on July 1. I just don't want to see same cycle of mistakes over and over again. If patience (I know the owner has none) allows the team to make better long term decisions, I can live with the same D-corp coming back one more year - assuming that's what we think is the worst d roster. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

Soucy is pretty much a slightly better Poolman.

Overpaying for him would be such a Benning move.

Soucy at $2.5-$3m for 3 years or so would be fine. He's good enough to be a #4B, with Hronek carrying the pair for now, and that's low enough $ and term to slide to 3rd pair if/when a Hirose, D-Petey or other player surpass him. He brings the complementary size, grit, defensive/PK ability the D core desperately needs.

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Soucy at $2.5-$3m for 3 years or so would be fine. He's good enough to be a #4B, with Hronek carrying the pair for now, and that's low enough $ and term to slide to 3rd pair if/when a Hirose, D-Petey or other player surpass him. He brings the complementary size, grit, defensive/PK ability the D core desperately needs.

2.5-3M is the max cap I’d give Soucy. We could look at Niko Mikkola who could be a cheaper option as well. 

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, canuckwings said:

Probably an unpopular opinion but I would be okay with having OEL back for another year, but I get why they bought him out because we're over the cap. 

We've just gone through so many horrid contracts because the team can't help themselves at the TDL and on July 1. I just don't want to see same cycle of mistakes over and over again. If patience (I know the owner has none) allows the team to make better long term decisions, I can live with the same D-corp coming back one more year - assuming that's what we think is the worst d roster. 

I hear you about repeating FA mistakes, it’s just hard to picture us getting reasonable term and prices with so few options on the market.

26 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

2.5-3M is the max cap I’d give Soucy. We could look at Niko Mikkola who could be a cheaper option as well. 

Yeah, I’d rather try a few lesser short term options than overcommit to another UFA that could burn us.

give me 1-2 years year of Hagg, Mikkola, Schenn on a low cap hit.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, babalu said:

Seems like a good fit but unfortunately he is likely going to get paid like a second pair guy when he is really a third pair guy. 

I fully expect Soucy to be overpaid by some idiot GM. 

It is silly season after all. 

If it's above 3M, like others are saying on here, then forget about it. What if it's 3.5M for 3 years? Would you do that? 

• Cheers 2

26 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

If it's above 3M, like others are saying on here, then forget about it. What if it's 3.5M for 3 years? Would you do that? 

If the Canucks want to be competitive they need to stop over paying role players (3rd or 4th liners). The good teams pay for a productive top 6 and top 4 D and fill the rest of the roster with affordable contracts that don't handcuff them long term.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, babalu said:

If the Canucks want to be competitive they need to stop over paying role players (3rd or 4th liners). The good teams pay for a productive top 6 and top 4 D and fill the rest of the roster with affordable contracts that don't handcuff them long term.

Yep…use the over payment on a long term top4 dman. I love the idea of a Graves-Hronek line for the next 5 years

44 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Circle back to Schenn at 2m/2years. If you sign Graves, that gives us a decent top 4, and a Bris/Hirose-Myers line is actually intriguing 

54 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

That's fine there are a lot of options and lots of teams that need to resign key players or have cap problems. Orlov, Dumolin, Graves, Cole, OEL for another team, Sanheim (trade block), Hanifin (Trade Block), Grzelcyk (Trade). Not to mention lots of teams have LHD pushing for jobs, so that will give us some opportunity to nail down a decent contract. 

Just like RHD 

Pesce, Karlsson (for some desperate GM), Deangelo, Peeke, Potentially Tanev, Dumba, Schenn, Klingberg, Gudas, E.Bear, Mayfield, Clifton. I'm sure one of Vegas Dmen will be available, hopefully Z.Whitecloud. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, KKnight said:

That's fine there are a lot of options and lots of teams that need to resign key players or have cap problems. Orlov, Dumolin, Graves, Cole, OEL for another team, Sanheim (trade block), Hanifin (Trade Block), Grzelcyk (Trade). Not to mention lots of teams have LHD pushing for jobs, so that will give us some opportunity to nail down a decent contract. 

Just like RHD 

Pesce, Karlsson (for some desperate GM), Deangelo, Peeke, Potentially Tanev, Dumba, Schenn, Klingberg, Gudas, E.Bear, Mayfield, Clifton. I'm sure one of Vegas Dmen will be available, hopefully Z.Whitecloud. 

Whitecloud is under a solid deal with term IIRC. They might prefer his cost certainty. I'll happily take hair off their hands for pennies in the dollar though ::D