The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] ‘Tis the Dog Days of Summer, Are we Thinging Before Training Camp?

Rate this topic

AngryElf

6 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Well 1 guy is a free agent and the other guy costs at least a first round pick and a top prospect while only being signed for 1 more season and probably looking for 6.5+ million a season on a long term deal. Pesce would be amazing but I don’t see that as very realistic for us unless management is okay with getting rid of our 2024 1rst and Lekkermaki for potentially 1 season of Pesce.

Pesce possibly being costly and a flight risk, does not make Dumba a fit here.

• Cheers 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Pesce possibly being costly and a flight risk, does not make Dumba a fit here.

Well don’t compare the two in the first place. What I said was if we have a taker in San Jose for Myers and Dumba costs less then what Myers does that could be an option. So stop comparing Dumba to Pesce who’s obviously better and start comparing him to Myers who he might be better than. If you can get a 4th or a 5th for Myers and replace him with Dumba is that a win? That’s a what I was asking.

Wonder if we could make a trade with Foronto and perhaps send Garland there. 

They lost like 30% of their roster and need some middle 6 NHL guys.

Something around Garland for William Villeneuve and Fraser Minten. 21 y/o 6’2 RHD with some pretty solid AHL numbers, and a local centre kid taken in the 2nd round of last year.

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

For a not extended (ie: cheaper to acquire) Pesce...? Garland + Rathbone + pick... Maybe plus another prospect?

I’d do that in a heartbeat….even though I like Garland. Rathbone is redundant here now; Need big long term answers. What is ur thoughts on picks? Judging by recent trades, a second or third would be enough

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Well don’t compare the two in the first place. What I said was if we have a taker in San Jose for Myers and Dumba costs less then what Myers does that could be an option. So stop comparing Dumba to Pesce who’s obviously better and start comparing him to Myers who he might be better than. If you can get a 4th or a 5th for Myers and replace him with Dumba is that a win? That’s a what I was asking.

Myers with 1yr left > Dumba on a multi year contract. Besides, with Hronek, Hughes, Hirose, and Rathbone, we need the size this year. 

And don’t be surprised if Myers looks great in 3rd pair situation in sheltered minutes this year. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

No. It's not a win. Dumba isn't a fit here. Doesn't matter what you do with Myers, or whether we get Pesce.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Myers with 1yr left > Dumba on a multi year contract. Besides, with Hronek, Hughes, Hirose, and Rathbone, we need the size this year. 

And don’t be surprised if Myers looks great in 3rd pair situation in sheltered minutes this year. 

Yes I marvel at Myers size but he barely uses it physically. The amount of times I see him pull away from hitting a guy in a 50/50 scenario is saddening. Dumba hits more that Myers does had 12 more hits last season. I actually think with Dumba you’d get more physicality when comparing those two players. I don’t think a lot of people know what Dumba and his playing style is anymore. He started out a bit more offensively but that part of his game kind of went away and is a little more focused on the defensive part of his game sprinkled in with some huge hits and physicality. He does suffer from the odd blunder but no more than Myers. I’m saying if he’s cheaper than Myers like say he floats around on the market for a little bit and you can get him for around 4 mill I don’t know why people are thinking he wouldn’t be a good partner with Hughes. As much as I like Soucy as I was advocating to target him this off-season because of his position flex he is left handed and better on the left side. A 2nd pair of Soucy and Hronek would be great!

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Interesting graphic comparing defence personnel changes around the league:

Canucks ranked 2nd in “net value added” and first in “net surplus added.”

Basically, this means that Vancouver improved the value of the players on their defence by $4.7M, which is the second largest gain in the league.

And they improved the surplus value (or contract efficiency) of the defence by $8.06M, which was best in the NHL.

It’s going to be interesting to see how the final roster for the defence looks on the various models, but I suspect that, for the first time in many years, we might have a defence that rates fairly well in both overall player value (ie: quality of personnel) and surplus value (ie: efficiency of contracts).

Or to put it another way: instead of continually overpaying for underperformance, we might now be moving toward a having a defence that actually outperforms their salaries and stacks up pretty well against the good teams.

Can't remember where I heard it but someone on the radio mentioned that while in PITS, JR ran a defence that's was about 25% of the cap and that (before our offseason moves) we were running a Defense group around 35% of the cap to go along with the inefficient contracts on the backend (OEL/Myers).  Looks like we're heading that way.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd happily have The Eagle retire as a Canuck at league min. 

Definitely. He’d be great in the room, fans would love it, and he still has some game left, as a bottom pairing guy. I was just looking at his underlying numbers and was pleasantly surprised to see Edler still providing around $1.5M value last season driven by his positive impacts on 5v5 offence and the penalty kill. 

Might also be a way, if he’s interested, to transition from retirement into a team role in something like player development, scouting, coaching, or whatever else might appeal to him. Would love to see Edler retire a Canuck and then join the organization in another role, after hanging up his skates.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

He's 37. He has enough grey hair to retire. There's gotta be one year left in him 

Screenshot-20230702-144650-Samsung-Inter

Have him "load managed" playing  as our #8, a ~30-40 game split with someone else. Yes please.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Definitely. He’d be great in the room, fans would love it, and he still has some game left, as a bottom pairing guy. I was just looking at his underlying numbers and was pleasantly surprised to see Edler still providing around $1.5M value last season driven by his positive impacts on 5v5 offence and the penalty kill. 

Might also be a way, if he’s interested, to transition from retirement into a team role in something like player development, scouting, coaching, or whatever else might appeal to him. Would love to see Edler retire a Canuck and then join the organization in another role, after hanging up his skates.

Yeah, he's definitely winding down and probably not an 82 game 3rd pair guy... But splitting that role to keep him fresh... He's be a solid depth player that's great in the room, for the fans etc as you mentioned.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, 250Integra said:

You’re just making assumptions without any facts. Have you followed his career closely? I reckon he’s been a top 4 defenceman on most teams he has played on. His career average TOI is above 17 minutes. He averaged over 19 minutes per game with Tampa last season, and previous to that 17 minutes with Carolina. That’s 2nd pairing minutes.

assumption without facts?? 

fact he was playing he was playing behind makar girard johnson and graves in colorado

fact he was playing on the 3rd pairing with soucy in minnesota

fact he was playing behind slavin pesce skjei deangelo in carolina

so how is he a top 4 defenceman on most teams he played on??

he played top 4 in tampa bay and did ok.. but he's pretty much top 4 by default just like he'll be in vancouver because Tampa had no depth on defence.. when your other choices are raddysh bogosian foote fleury myers.. not much choice they have.

17-18mins is normal 3rd pairing minutes in the NHL.. dunno where u get the 17+mins = top 4 minutes. most teams in the NHL their 5/6th defenceman averages slightly above 17mins. hirose and burrough average slightly above 17 mins last season.. are they not our bottom pairing 6/7th defenceman?

again he's going to be playing well above his role.. in his career he have NEVER EVER played consistently against other teams top line. if he's paired with hughes.. he's going to be on the ice a lot ES against other teams top players. he's going to be 34 not exactly young he ain't gonna get any faster or better, and who knows how well he can handle fatigue playing 20+mins a night as he and soucy is probably going to be primary on PK on top of the ES mins and dealing with one of the toughest travel in the league on top of hopping timezone on a consistent basis.. something he didn't really have to deal with as much in colorado minnesta and tampa