The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Avalanche trade Alex Newhook to Canadiens for Gianni Fairbrother, 2023 1st-round pick, 2023 2nd-round pick

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Newhook needed a change in scenery. Just wasn't going to progress up the lineup with Colorado looking to win, he fell down the depth chart.

Montreal I think made a good bet on Newhook but a bit expensive. I forsee Colorado flipping those picks to add another bigger piece...perhaps Debrincat?

So basically Kirby Dach reasoning? 

Seems like the Habs have a history of making head scratching moves when it comes dealing with centers 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

So basically Kirby Dach reasoning? 

Seems like the Habs have a history of making head scratching moves when it comes dealing with centers 

I’d be willing to bet he lines up as a winger in Montreal 

Edited by qwijibo

14 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Not a chance in hell. Garland is overpaid for what he brings and Montreal has several nhl ready guys who saw action last season thst could be pencilled in to where he would play for a fraction of the cost.  Montreal also has a bunch of far more proven young defencemen in the system with more coming. Rathbone adds no value. So essentially it’s 5th OA for 11 OA. 

Montreal May drop back 2-3 spots max, and if they do the return is rumoured to be far better than that 

Look at Garlands numbers compared to PLD .

Garland IS NOT over paid for his numbers.

People have to realize his contract is good and to replace him unless it's on elc would cost the same if not more.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, cripplereh said:

People have to realize his contract is good and to replace him unless it's on elc would cost the same if not more.

Agreed. He's not working out here at all, but that doesn't translate into him being overpaid. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Newhook took like 9 face offs last year.  I’d be willing to bet he lines up as a winger in Montreal 

Possibly but there's no doubt in my mind they hope he can be a center. My memory is foggy but wasn't that the hope when the Habs traded for Drouin?

2 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Regardless.  He adds no value to Montreal when they have guys who can do the same job on an ELC.  Montreal isn’t moving the 5th OA for that package. 

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

Regardless.  He adds no value to Montreal when they have guys who can do the same job on an ELC.  Montreal isn’t moving the 5th OA for that package. 

Nope that is laughable.They would need more and w piece or player they feel good about.

5 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Possibly but there's no doubt in my mind they hope he can be a center. My memory is foggy but wasn't that the hope when the Habs traded for Drouin?

Different  situation entirely. At the time Montreal had very few options at C. The Droiun fiasco was largely motivated by Bergevin giving into a small but vocal group of media and politicians who wanted more homegrown Francophones.  It was a mistake the moment it happened.  

The fact that Newhook CAN play centre certainly doesn’t hurt 

Edited by qwijibo

25 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

Hes so good Colorado is giving up on him at 22

People that follow COL closely have often said Newhook is frustrating to watch.  Probably the growing pains of a young still finding his way.  

MTL is probably a better situation for him, and COL cant afford to ip his cap hit. 

1 minute ago, Angry Goose said:

People that follow COL closely have often said Newhook is frustrating to watch.  Probably the growing pains of a young still finding his way.  

MTL is probably a better situation for him, and COL cant afford to ip his cap hit. 

I want to ip his cap hit

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

Anybody willing to do this? Not sure MTL does though.

MTL trades:

5th overall

Radek Dvorak

Arber Xhekaj

VAN trades:

11th overall

2024 1st round pick

2025 2nd round pick 

Connor Garland

Jack Rathbone 

On our end is it overpayment to move up 6 spots?

MTL ditches Dvorak’s contract now that he’s a 4th line C. We get an ideal RD in Wifi whom MTL would obviously be reluctant to give up. 

But, It addresses need and gets us into another potential franchise C drafting territory. Or, we turn around and trade that #5 tomorrow.

Pretty sure Radek Dvorak retired 10 years ago. Xhejak isnt going anywhere.  

No one wants garbage like Rathbone

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

If he's not overpaid wouldn't the Canucks have traded Garland by now?

• Wat 1