The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Zach Sawchenko

There are a lot of facets of our front office that have earned a lot of scorn and skepticism.

Ian Clarke is not one of them.  He would have been the major voice in picking up this guy, so he thinks there is something there.  He has a pretty good track record so I am happy to believe this has a good chance of working out and helping the organizational depth.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Hoping we stick Silovs as the main guy in the A. But if it comes down to Sawchenko, Martin and Silovs for our backup spot, and we are serious about being a playoff team. Sounds like Silovs is likely our guy. Will see what he does in training camp. His competition isn't particularly fierce.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Hoping we stick Silovs as the main guy in the A. But if it comes down to Sawchenko, Martin and Silovs for our backup spot, and we are serious about being a playoff team. Sounds like Silovs is likely our guy. Will see what he does in training camp. His competition isn't particularly fierce.

I think you see one of the other guys riding pine and playing every ~5th game, Silovs gets lots of starts in Abby and recalled to start, if Demko gets hurt.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

No way they rest Silvos as a backup to Demko..

but he will be Demkos replacement to injury .

Martin will be backup to Demko and Silovs at the NHL level.

Until Silovs bumps Demko out which I think could happen next season.

almost certain of this progression after Silovs performance at the international level.

The only thing that could change this is they want to make Silovs the #1 this season,.  And get a great return and drop cap space by moving Demko.  But I doubt this scenario.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

I'll feel quite surprised if this is the only goalie signed this summer. 

I'd love to see them sign a reliable veteran back-up. Martin is not good enough to play 20-25 games on a playoff team. 

Who's backing up? I want Silovs playing games. 

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

No way they rest Silvos as a backup to Demko..

but he will be Demkos replacement to injury .

Martin will be backup to Demko and Silovs at the NHL level.

Until Silovs bumps Demko out which I think could happen next season.

almost certain of this progression after Silovs performance at the international level.

The only thing that could change this is they want to make Silovs the #1 this season,.  And get a great return and drop cap space by moving Demko.  But I doubt this scenario.

Silovs is a decent goalie prospect. I love the positivity but this is not a realistic view. He's not close to bumping anyone, especially not a proven starter like Demko out of the league. 

Silovs can perhaps develop into a 1b type of goalie and there is nothing wrong with that. Canucks found value in him and he's developed since he was drafted. 

We are lucky to have such quality in net with Demko. Silovs has a much lower ceiling. 

31 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Silovs is a decent goalie prospect. I love the positivity but this is not a realistic view. He's not close to bumping anyone, especially not a proven starter like Demko out of the league. 

Silovs can perhaps develop into a 1b type of goalie and there is nothing wrong with that. Canucks found value in him and he's developed since he was drafted. 

We are lucky to have such quality in net with Demko. Silovs has a much lower ceiling. 

I can not agree with that statement.

I wonder how much you have seen him play .. not at the AHL level, but before, and then of course recently at the World Cup? 
where he won most valuable player of the tournament, and took his country to it first ever placing with a bronze medal.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • There it is 1

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I can not agree with that statement.

I wonder how much you have seen him play .. not at the AHL level, but before, and then of course recently at the World Cup? 
where he won most valuable player of the tournament, and took his country to it first ever placing with a bronze medal.

That's it.Silovs should take over sooner then later.

With signings today we will have cap room next year and moving forward.

Our young guys get another year to mature and some seem so close to being ready.

The team is moving in the right direction.

I really wanted a better 3c but we should be fighting for a playoff spot.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

That's it.Silovs should take over sooner then later.

With signings today we will have cap room next year and moving forward.

Our young guys get another year to mature and some seem so close to being ready.

The team is moving in the right direction.

I really wanted a better 3c but we should be fighting for a playoff spot.

I’d be surprised if Silvos takes the # 1 at camp this year…. But I think he gets the spot next year regardless.

Demko will bring a great return,  and we have good goalies coming into the fold.

The bits that I’ve seen of Sawchenko are very positive.. and Clarke will bring the best out of all of them.

So nice to have the AHL club in the same province / area as all the facilities and trainers Vancouver Canucks enjoy.

• Cheers 1

Why wouldn’t Alvin promote the best Goalie to the NHL next season when that player can be sent down for reps with a team and system he knows a short drive away if Demko goes on a tear.

With our goalie factory seemingly producing another gem in Silvos and with the signing of Buelger, it seems likely with the team bulldozing structure to have mentor players from the home county for younger stars on the rise.

So Silvos got the nod with with world cup performance.

Thats great.  He still has to earn the shot with proof that Martin couldn’t deliver last year, though I don’t put the blame on our back up with the team playing dog shite in front of him and Demko Injured.

The next trick, get some Kuzemenko confidence to rub off on Podz so he losses his grip on the stick.

As Hogs and Pods said, it’s a Sophmore slump confidence second season with Pods and he just needs to be fit and prepared and bring that intensity that he was drafted for with his size, skating and intelligence.

He should be the best forechecker on our club and a terror for our defence in drills.

I expect to see both Hogs and Pods on a tear this camp.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Martin to start the year as backup. Silovs starts if Demko injury and we bring up Silovs around game 50 like what we did with Demko 

If you mean Martin Jones I’m all for it.

If you mean Spencer Martin no way!!

• Cheers 1