The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Filip Zadina

15 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

We already have Podz and Hogs battling for a job. We don't need more wingers. Unless some of our existing wingers get traded.

And like I said. We need Centres, D, and picks.

One problem the Canucks have is that they already have 46 contracts out of a maximum of 50. That does not include Hoglander but, as he is qualified, that is guaranteed 47th contract. Also, Josh Bloom needs a contract [Edit: This is wrong. Josh Bloom is under contract.] and Joni Jurmo would like one (although he probably stays in Europe without an NHL contract for another year).

Also, a team absolutely needs to go into the season with at least a couple of open contract spots in case of emergencies or just to allow for a possible trade. So i think the effective maximum number of contracts for the summer is 48 and the Canucks will be there if they sign Bloom (as I think they should).

The Canucks have very little flexibility on the contract front right now. Is signing Zadina an "emergency"? I don't think so. 

Edited by JamesB
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

We have 13 forwards battling for 12 jobs, 15 if you include Mik and Pearson. And that's not including our AHL players and prospects.

Why would you say we don't have competition?

You literally just made the opposite point you think you did....

We will be carrying 13 forwards not 12, and the ones you listed include fringe NHL/AHL level talent like De Giuseppe, Dries, Studnicka, and Joshua.

Assume at least one injury during training camp, and we area already scraping the bottom of the barrel for guys that aren't full time NHLers.  Adding another guy with NHL experience who has a chance of pushing someone down the lineup is a good idea.  We should also be bringing in a couple of pro-tryout contracts.

12 minutes ago, JamesB said:

One problem the Canucks have is that they already have 46 contracts out of a maximum of 50. That does not include Hoglander but, as he is qualified, that is guaranteed 47th contract. Also, Josh Bloom needs a contract and Joni Jurmo would like one (although he probably stays in Europe without an NHL contract for another year).

Also, a team absolutely needs to go into the season with at least a couple of open contract spots in case of emergencies or just to allow for a possible trade. So i think the effective maximum number of contracts for the summer is 48 and the Canucks will be there if they sign Bloom (as I think they should).

The Canucks have very little flexibility on the contract front right now. Is signing Zadina an "emergency"? I don't think so. 

Josh Bloom could sign minor league contract.  

I believe Jurmo has contract for another year in the Liiga.

That is a minor problem really.  

He is worth a one year show me contract near league minimum.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Risk yes. I'm sorry I'm a big picture person. My brother and good friend are battling cancer. Fortunately they caught it early and it looks like they've got it taken care of for my brother. But they are still monitoring. He's still working building houses. My friend is working day by day to fight it. The drugs are causing hell with his system. To me THAT is courage. Taking a chance on a hockey career means what? Maybe losing money. It's not your life. And they are still in their 20's so they can go to school or do something else in life. Sounds like more of a gamble than something courageous.

The fact that some people have it worse really has no bearing on it, that is frankly just crappy logic.

There are people in the world who have to risk getting raped and killed just walking miles a day to get fresh water for their starving children.  Does that diminish that your friend is working while having cancer?

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Lol touche 

What happens when we sign Zadina to a 1 year 1.2m 1-way contract and Hogz beats him out (which I have full confidence in) 

Are we on the hook for the cap? 

If not, sure why not sign him and let them compete. 

No cap implication at that salary, he just gets waived to the minors and that entire salary gets buried or someone else picks him off waivers.  We either have another depth guy for injury relief and helping out on the farm, he refuses to report and we terminate his contract, or someone picks up up and we have lost nothing except making Hoglander work harder for his roster spot.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Risk yes. I'm sorry I'm a big picture person. My brother and good friend are battling cancer. Fortunately they caught it early and it looks like they've got it taken care of for my brother. But they are still monitoring. He's still working building houses. My friend is working day by day to fight it. The drugs are causing hell with his system. To me THAT is courage. Taking a chance on a hockey career means what? Maybe losing money. It's not your life. And they are still in their 20's so they can go to school or do something else in life. Sounds like more of a gamble than something courageous.

Courage isn't a one size fits all thing and there are different levels of courage. Obviously battling cancer is a different level of courage than risking future career earnings in a sport, literally no one is saying otherwise. 

• Cheers 4

7 hours ago, Provost said:

No cap implication at that salary, he just gets waived to the minors and that entire salary gets buried or someone else picks him off waivers.  We either have another depth guy for injury relief and helping out on the farm, he refuses to report and we terminate his contract, or someone picks up up and we have lost nothing except making Hoglander work harder for his roster spot.

That's great. 

I didn't realize there was a threshold where salary can be buried in the minors. 

I see that this year's number is 1.15m

So are there no cap implications if we sign a player for 1.15m or less? 

But if we sign someone for say... 1.3m, we're on the hook for 0.15m?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

That's great. 

I didn't realize there was a threshold where salary can be buried in the minors. 

I'm pretty sure it's a percentage of their deal, with a maximum of $1.15m that can be buried.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

That's great. 

Yep, not sure of the exact threshold for next season, but ya… 100% of salary up to that maximum can be buried with no cap implications.

If you are a team with cash, you can sign all

sorts of guys for under that threshold and just waive/bury guys who don’t make the cut.

There is a limit on contracts you can have, and the AHL has some limitations on the number of veterans that can dress I believe… but no cap

issues.

25 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yep, not sure of the exact threshold for next season, but ya… 100% of salary up to that maximum can be buried with no cap implications.

If you are a team with cash, you can sign all

sorts of guys for under that threshold and just waive/bury guys who don’t make the cut.

There is a limit on contracts you can have, and the AHL has some limitations on the number of veterans that can dress I believe… but no cap

issues.

I see. 

Yeah I think I read about the 50 contract limit but I can see how a cash rich team could sign a bunch of bubble guys on one way contracts at that threshold giving them guaranteed money / incentive to sign... 

I would sign Zadina to a one year $1.15 million contract. Let him come to training camp motivated as hell to make it. If he flops you can just waive him and send him to Abby with zero cap implications. If he gets taken off waivers then you don’t have to worry about him anymore. If he clears waivers and doesn’t report to Abby then you can simply terminate his contract. 

I am sure several teams will be interested in him. Probably Edmonton and Colorado for sure. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 3

12 hours ago, JamesB said:

One problem the Canucks have is that they already have 46 contracts out of a maximum of 50. That does not include Hoglander but, as he is qualified, that is guaranteed 47th contract. Also, Josh Bloom needs a contract and Joni Jurmo would like one (although he probably stays in Europe without an NHL contract for another year).

Am I on crazy pills or am I misremembering that Bloom signed his ELC in Buffalo?

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I would sign Zadina to a one year $1.15 million contract. Let him come to training camp motivated as hell to make it. If he flops you can just waive him and send him to Abby with zero cap implications. If he gets taken off waivers then you don’t have to worry about him anymore. If he clears waivers and doesn’t report to Abby then you can simply terminate his contract. 

I am sure several teams will be interested in him. Probably Edmonton and Colorado for sure. 

I can see him going to Edm to play with Mcd and Drai

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

I can see him going to Edm to play with Mcd and Drai

Lol that would be Holland's attempt to prove he wasn't THAT wrong with the pick.

They already signed Connor Brown to that spot. Edm is still tight to the cap. Even if they're willing to spend a roster spot on him I wouldn't offer him anything more than 1M. It's a prove to me contract. Plus I feel like he'll just be another Puljujarvi. 

• There it is 1

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I know he's not a fit for us, but I would personally take a chance on Zadina. I actually have liked the way his game has progressed in Detriot. There is just something off about his shot so he hasn't been scoring at all. It's like he hasn't been able to figure out how to fool an NHL goalie, or maybe it's just a severe lack of confidence. But his defensive play and checking ability has increased dramatically from what I have seen. If he figures out his scoring, I think he has potential to be a a very solid middle 6 player in the future.