The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOUR] William Nylander seeking a contract over $10 million

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I already told you they were overpaid as was Bo, unless you think Bo is worth 8.5. You are comparing only to the players on 1 team. You are right, if I am only looking at the guys on my team, yeah he was being underpaid. His real worth? or his teammates real worth? 

If I am a GM in the NHL looking at players available in that salary brackett? I am not looking at anyone in a Leaf uniform. 

I am a bit leary of paying Petey any amount he wants either as we have not seen how he deals with the rigors of a long playoff run. Who knows, he may be a Matthews, Marner or JT too, when it comes to being a playoff performer or not.

I am not weary of paying anything else than what petey wants. 

45 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I already told you they were overpaid as was Bo, unless you think Bo is worth 8.5. You are comparing only to the players on 1 team. You are right, if I am only looking at the guys on my team, yeah he was being underpaid. His real worth? or his teammates real worth? 

If I am a GM in the NHL looking at players available in that salary brackett? I am not looking at anyone in a Leaf uniform. 

I am a bit leary of paying Petey any amount he wants either as we have not seen how he deals with the rigors of a long playoff run. Who knows, he may be a Matthews, Marner or JT too, when it comes to being a playoff performer or not.

Ok again, teammates are a reasonable comparison. So again why would NYLANDER ask for significantly less than players he is performing on par with? I don't give a shit what you think they're worth. If you're Nylander why would you ask for that much less? This isn't hard man. 

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Petey 2019-2020 playoffs - 18 pts in 17 gp. 

No need to be leery of paying Petey market value. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Ok again, teammates are a reasonable comparison. So again why would NYLANDER ask for significantly less than players he is performing on par with? I don't give a shit what you think they're worth. If you're Nylander why would you ask for that much less? This isn't hard man. 

Wow your thick man! Why would you only compare with your teammates especially when they are all over paid? Does the rest of the NHL not matter? or it doesn't fit your narrative? Give it up, I keep thinking about that old saying by Si Robertson.:lol:

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

4 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

He'd consider it if he cared about winning, which he has proven that he doesn't.  Marner and Matthews at least don't refuse to backcheck even with their fear of physical contact.  Nylander's agent needs to sit him down and tell him that he needs to start playing like a man and stop floating if he wants to get another inflated contract now that Toronto has an actual GM.   No more free rides with Dubas gone.

5 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Career PPG:

Matthews - 1.13

Marner - 1.09

Nylander - 0.83

Matthews has also won the Hart trophy and Marner finished 3rd in the Selke voting last year.  Matthews and Marner both had Hart trophy votes this year as well. Nylander didn’t get a vote for any trophy. 

So not sure how you are arriving at the conclusion that Nylander is performing on par with his teammates. 

Kaprizov and Rantanen are both 100+ point wingers and neither one makes $10 million. So Nylander isn’t worth anything close to $10 million. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Career PPG:

Matthews - 1.13

Marner - 1.09

Nylander - 0.83

Matthews has also won the Hart trophy and Marner finished 3rd in the Selke voting last year.  Matthews and Marner both had Hart trophy votes this year as well. Nylander didn’t get a vote for any trophy. 

So not sure how you are arriving at the conclusion that Nylander is performing on par with his teammates. 

Kaprizov and Rantanen are both 100+ point wingers and neither one makes $10 million. So Nylander isn’t worth anything close to $10 million. 

Career =/= currently which is what contracts are based off of. 

I feel like Toronto has been trying to trade Nylander ever since they picked up   Bertuzzi and Domi, but can’t find a good deal among the 10 teams they’d have to work with. 

They’re in for some cap trouble.

8 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Career =/= currently which is what contracts are based off of. 

2022-2023 season:

Marner - 1.24 PPG

Matthews - 1.15 PPG

Nylander - 1.06 PPG

Even based just on last year he is still not on par with his teammates. Plus Marner finished 3rd in the Selke voting plus also had Hart votes.  Matthews also had Hart votes this year.

Nylander isn’t a $10 million player, not even against his own teammates. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

2022-2023 season:

Marner - 1.24 PPG

Matthews - 1.15 PPG

Nylander - 1.06 PPG

Even based just on last year he is still not on par with his teammates. Plus Marner finished 3rd in the Selke voting plus also had Hart votes.  Matthews also had Hart votes this year.

Nylander isn’t a $10 million player, not even against his own teammates. 

He's near as makes no difference save for Marner, and was only 1 point behind Matthews in the post season. Interesting you left Tavares out as that obviously damages your stance by quite a bit at 1.00PPG for 11Mill. 

And Again what you and Edgar fail to see is the PLAYER'S ASK, not what you think he is worth. And playoff performance in this case bolsters his ask with Marner again being the standout 

Marner - 1.27PPG

JT -0.72PPG

Matthews - 1.00PPG

Nylander - .90

10 Mill isn't a ludicrous ask, whether he gets it or not is another story. He's also entering his prime years too so there is still room for growth for up to 3-4 years with him too. Why you and especially Edgar are struggling with the difference between the player's ask vs YOUR value of him is a bit baffling to be honest.  

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, King Heffy said:

He'd consider it if he cared about winning, which he has proven that he doesn't.  Marner and Matthews at least don't refuse to backcheck even with their fear of physical contact.  Nylander's agent needs to sit him down and tell him that he needs to start playing like a man and stop floating if he wants to get another inflated contract now that Toronto has an actual GM.   No more free rides with Dubas gone.

The actual GM that signed more forwards they don't need and another defensively inept dman all while going nearly $10 Million over cap? 

15 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Wow your thick man! Why would you only compare with your teammates especially when they are all over paid? Does the rest of the NHL not matter? or it doesn't fit your narrative? Give it up, I keep thinking about that old saying by Si Robertson.:lol:

When all else fails go for insults? You failed to answer and tip toed around simple question asked more than once, and you have the nerve to call someone thick? ::D

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

The actual GM that signed more forwards they don't need and another defensively inept dman all while going nearly $10 Million over cap? 

It wasn't smart, but at least he is qualified to work in hockey ops and is willing to trade guys with unreasonable contract demands unlike the idiot he replaced.

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

It wasn't smart, but at least he is qualified to work in hockey ops and is willing to trade guys with unreasonable contract demands unlike the idiot he replaced.

How does that make any sense when he doubled down with worse moves? 

Edited by canuck73_3

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

How doe that make any sense when he doubled down with worse moves? 

Only the Klingberg salary was bad.  Bertuzzi is a good value.  Dubas had a history of bending over for every major contract extension, including Nylander's.

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

He's near as makes no difference save for Marner, and was only 1 point behind Matthews in the post season. Interesting you left Tavares out as that obviously damages your stance by quite a bit at 1.00PPG for 11Mill. 

And Again what you and Edgar fail to see is the PLAYER'S ASK, not what you think he is worth. And playoff performance in this case bolsters his ask with Marner again being the standout 

Marner - 1.27PPG

JT -0.72PPG

Matthews - 1.00PPG

Nylander - .90

10 Mill isn't a ludicrous ask, whether he gets it or not is another story. He's also entering his prime years too so there is still room for growth for up to 3-4 years with him too. Why you and especially Edgar are struggling with the difference between the player's ask vs YOUR value of him is a bit baffling to be honest.  

Considering the Matthews renewal is rumoured to be 5X$14M, $10M doesn't sound so bad.

There isn't a winger in the game would pay $10M too.  It makes building the team at the important positions too hard.

Pay this guy more than Kaprizov, please.

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1