The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks’ Rick Tocchet on what he wants to see from Vasily Podkolzin and Nils Höglander next season

Rate this topic

The Arrogant Worms

On 7/25/2023 at 3:44 PM, IBatch said:

JV floated,   and expected the NHL to be easier than it was.   

I honestly got the sense that it wasn't the "hockey" that was important to him, it was the fame/notoriety and perks that it brought. That he was celebrating being a hockey player more than being a hockey player. Immaturity. 

I hope, for his sake, he grows up and finds success because that would be lessons learned and not a waste of potential and a total show of entitlement.

• Cheers 2

And back to those who matter.....I have the same hopefulness that I once had for Jake now in Vasili and Nils. Both are still learning to play at this level but it's their drive and determination that intrigue me. The motors that keep running and energy that's in constant pursuit of the puck. Nils more so in that aspect, Vasili has the same beast potential that I once held out for Jake even though he isn't in the same weight class. He is strong from what I've seen and will be a force if he continues to work hard.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Aw, poor Jake. Carousing and showing up totally out of shape then not getting to be special.

He's so misunderstood. 

The real picture was that Jake failed to produce consistently and his lifestyle likely factored in. Had he perhaps had a different mindset and focused better on the opportunity he was given maybe he would've lasted. If you're putting yourself in a situation where you may look guilty/bad maybe refrain from being in those situations in the first place? Hockey offers a good life but it also comes with responsibility.

I mean, people getting clean often have to cut all ties from their former (party) life in order to build a better one. Not sure he distanced himself enough from the stuff that was leading to his demise.

Worst crew ever and he advertised it. If he'd buckled down and been more serious maybe he would've avoided some of the stuff that made him "look" bad.  It wasn't a one off...the accusation of rape was the straw.

We have players in place who DO want to succeed and still have fun without dancing on the line. Jake's had his five minutes of fame and shotguns. So over hearing about him. Had so much potential and I held out hope for him but he made choices and that's his deal.

showed up out of shape once. Learned his lesson.

TWELVE MINUTES AND FORTY FIVE SECONDS

Do you understand what Im referring to?

his ICE TIME. Tell me how many guys can score CONSISTENTLY with under 13 mins TOI. Oh and zero PP1 time and whats leftover for PP2. I’ll be waiting an eternity, oh and if they are scoring, chances are they will be rewarded with more ice time and PP1 time…. Unlike Virtanen.

He made choices to drink water in a private bar party.

Guilty of alcohol consumption

He made choices to drink too much on a night a couple weeks before the season started. 

Video of him puking in a toilet. 

accused of rape.
assumed guilty.

But hey guess what the verdict was! NOT GUILTY. A fabricated story that had his career in the NHL come to a stop. Almost ruined his f***ing life and after everything around him is falling a part, you expect this YOUNG adult almost still a bloody teenager, is to just be okay? Not lash out and have break downs??? His whole story is in the bloody tabloids thats a lot for someone his age to handle. There is an actual VICTIM in his case and its Virtanen. But hey what happened to that little b**** who falsely accused someone and pretty much ruined their life??????? How many times do women falsely accuse a man and in the end there is no punishment. The accusation is taken so seriously, but when they find out the truth “ah you’re good Jake, dont worry about it. And you little miss muffin, you shouldnt do that. No go say sorry and go home” like what a f***ing joke. The mental stress that Virtanen endured is not at all taken into consideration. 

You all assume the worst because you hate him. You have zero empathy or logical reasoning for your cut throat opinions. You never once let go of his early mistakes and you ignore allllllll the signs he made conscious changes.

Honestly do you think Virtanen is the only guy shotgunning beers? You’re choosing to judge a teenager in his own home town who has all sorts of friends living it up around him and throwing parties and hes always getting an invite because all his friends are right here in town. Its the only reason you hear about him, BECAUSE HE A LOCAL AND POPULAR AND IN THE SHOW. He is surrounded by influence good and bad. Young kids love to party, guess what there was a ton of influence from everyone in town for him to party. Any other city and he has far less influences around him, just his teammates. Worst crew ever would have never existed, the shotgun would have never happened and been a thing, the rape accusations most likely never would have come into question. Vancouver was probably the worst thing for him to have any chance at staying focused andcsucceeding. Yet despite the shotgunning beers, the hot dogs, the one season he came in out of shape, he still showed progression. Point totals increased each season, you cant deny that and he was given less and less opportunities as he progressed. Not very fair. For you to judge a teenager/yoong adult who was still growing and learning to mature says a lot about you and your judgement. You ignore the bar he was at and drank only water, but you go off about his beer shotgun when he was younger..Your view is as grown up as Virtanen at 19. You are an adult and should be able to see the changes and applaud that. Not ridicule him for his past. We only hear about it because he is the local guy.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

9 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

his ICE TIME. Tell me how many guys can score CONSISTENTLY with under 13 mins TOI. Oh and zero PP1 time and whats leftover for PP2. I’ll be waiting an eternity, oh and if they are scoring, chances are they will be rewarded with more ice time and PP1 time…. Unlike Virtanen.

He made choices to drink too much on a night a couple weeks before the season started. 

accused of rape.
assumed guilty.

But hey guess what the verdict was! NOT GUILTY. A fabricated story that had his career in the NHL come to a stop. Almost ruined his f***ing life and after everything around him is falling a part, you expect this YOUNG adult almost still a bloody teenager, is to just be okay? Not lash out and have break downs??? His whole story is in the bloody tabloids thats a lot for someone his age to handle. There is an actual VICTIM in his case and its Virtanen. But hey what happened to that little b**** who falsely accused someone and pretty much ruined their life??????? How many times do women falsely accuse a man and in the end there is no punishment. The accusation is taken so seriously, but when they find out the truth “ah you’re good Jake, dont worry about it. And you little miss muffin, you shouldnt do that. No go say sorry and go home” like what a f***ing joke. The mental stress that Virtanen endured is not at all taken into consideration. 

You all assume the worst because you hate him. You have zero empathy or logical reasoning for your cut throat opinions. You never once let go of his early mistakes and you ignore allllllll the signs he made conscious changes.

Honestly do you think Virtanen is the only guy shotgunning beers? You’re choosing to judge a teenager in his own home town who has all sorts of friends living it up around him and throwing parties and hes always getting an invite because all his friends are right here in town. Its the only reason you hear about him, BECAUSE HE A LOCAL AND POPULAR AND IN THE SHOW. He is surrounded by influence good and bad. Young kids love to party, guess what there was a ton of influence from everyone in town for him to party. Any other city and he has far less influences around him, just his teammates. Worst crew ever would have never existed, the shotgun would have never happened and been a thing, the rape accusations most likely never would have come into question. Vancouver was probably the worst thing for him to have any chance at staying focused andcsucceeding. Yet despite the shotgunning beers, the hot dogs, the one season he came in out of shape, he still showed progression. Point totals increased each season, you cant deny that and he was given less and less opportunities as he progressed. Not very fair. For you to judge a teenager/yoong adult who was still growing and learning to mature says a lot about you and your judgement. You ignore the bar he was at and drank only water, but you go off about his beer shotgun when he was younger..Your view is as grown up as Virtanen at 19. You are an adult and should be able to see the changes and applaud that. Not ridicule him for his past. We only hear about it because he is the local guy.

Brutal take.

Finding someone not guilty and being innocent are too different things…

The only one to blame is Jake. If he took his NHL career more seriously he might still have one.

Not gonna spend another second on this entitled washed up bum though. There’s hundreds of players just as talented that are actually willing to put in the work. Only thing special about him was his draft position.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

33 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

accused of rape.
assumed guilty.

If there was a "once" regarding Jake...sure. But it was ongoing issues.

I don't hate Jake (at all)....he was cordial to me when I met him and I truly hope he gets his act together, matures, and has a successful life. I do feel he likely had a sense of entitlement driving his decisions.

19 is an adult by all accounts...you can drive, vote, drink. And he was gifted a golden opportunity that he squandered away. That's on him, not me (us).

You are overdramatizing how we are responding to Jake...it's your take that's extreme.

Besides, in regard to his ice time? He was provided plenty of opportunity and the same as other guys breaking in. As issues presented, sure, he was maybe cut out a bit but that was on him to prove himself, not us to whine on his behalf. He could be a force out there...I was hopeful. But he dabbled rather than going all in.

Jake's TOI:

363785424_10160408022355549_384893800429

Podz TOI:

363777595_10160408022340549_694670041771

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Brutal take.

The only one to blame is Jake. If he took his NHL career more seriously he might still have one.

Not gonna spend another second on this entitled washed up bum though. There’s hundreds of players just as talented that are actually willing to put in the work. Only thing special about him was his draft position.

Yeesh, can't believe in 2023 there are still people who think like Anthony and can't use actual critical thinking that not guilty in a court of law and innocent are not remotely the same thing. 

49 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I don't hate Jake (at all)....he was cordial to me when I met him and I truly hope he gets his act together, matures, and has a successful life. I do feel he likely had a sense of entitlement driving his decisions.

19 is an adult by all accounts...you can drive, vote, drink. And he was gifted a golden opportunity that he squandered away. That's on him, not me (us).

You are overdramatizing how we are responding to Jake...it's your take that's extreme.

Besides, in regard to his ice time? He was provided plenty of opportunity and the same as other guys breaking in. As issues presented, sure, he was maybe cut out a bit but that was on him to prove himself, not us to whine on his behalf. He could be a force out there...I was hopeful. But he dabbled rather than going all in.

Jake's TOI:

Podz TOI:

Could contain: Page, Text

Rookie season and on lines with Garland… Pettersson, Horvat, Miller…. Produced 26pts

VIRTANEN on the other hand..,his career best season 18g 18a 36pts with 13:05 TOI

Could contain: Page, Text

Was rippin it up with Gaudette, Roussel and Leivo. 
23 points with bottom 6 linemates.

Podz worked his way up the lineup right? Rookie year, went from the bottom to the top. Incredible.

59 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Jake's TOI:

Podz TOI:

2 minutes less ice time he's already eclipsed Jakes second best season and showed up in shape in only his first year. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yeesh, can't believe in 2023 there are still people who think like Anthony and can't use actual critical thinking that not guilty in a court of law and innocent are not remotely the same thing. 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Brutal take.

Whats brutal is you both of you scapegoat “not guilty” over  innocence in a fabricated cringe ass story. Lmao have another sip of haterade. You believe the worst because neither of you were there, you clearly have a dislike for Virtanen

I believe the saying is “innocent until proven guilty” a non guilty verdict would imply innocence. She couldnt prove sh*t and her story had so many flaws and inconsistencies like the balcony that was never there lmao 

But she’s innocent right? Virtanen is only “not guilty” 

whats brutal is your bias dislike for Virtanen refuses to allow you to believe he could actually be an innocent person.

Edited by AnthonyG

5 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Whats brutal is you both of you scapegoat “not guilty” over  innocence in a fabricated cringe ass story. Lmao have another sip of haterade. You believe the worst because neither of you were there, you clearly have a dislike for Virtanen

I believe the saying is “innocent until proven guilty” a non guilty verdict would imply innocence. She couldnt prove sh*t and her story had so many flaws and inconsistencies like the balcony that was never there lmao 

But she’s innocent right? Virtanen is only “not guilty” 

whats brutal is your bias dislike for Virtanen refuses to allow you to believe he could actually be an innocent person.

Proven Innocent in court and innocent are two entirely different things, I have enough first and second hand interactions with Jake that claiming his innocence is naïve at best. 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Proven Innocent in court and innocent are two entirely different things, I have enough first and second hand interactions with Jake that claiming his innocence is naïve at best. 

Yet her story which made no sense and was so damn cringey, makes him not guilty right? She was the victim and Virtanen got lucky this time.

4 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Let's get this back on topic...which isn't Jake Virtanen. Been there, done that.

I feel that the 2 this topic IS about deserve that.

4 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Yet her story which made no sense and was so damn cringey, makes him not guilty right? She was the victim and Virtanen got lucky this time.

On 7/11/2023 at 1:19 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Finally, a coach who demands effort and accountability.  I'm not sure any of the players really took to heart when Desjardins and Green spoke. Boudreau was just having a good time, watching the Canucks every other night from the best seat in the house. He didn't demand anything though. Torts was too over the top and players probably hated him (instead of respecting). AV was great, but that was 10+ years ago.   

Tocchet is the guy that will get them there, and if players aren't willing to do what they have to do, they'll be gone. Really like this new management/coaching regime. They were brought in to build a championship team and I feel confident they will. 

wd.gif

• Haha 1

On 7/27/2023 at 9:51 AM, AnthonyG said:

accused of rape.
assumed guilty.

Easily one of the worst posts I’ve ever seen in my years on these boards.   
You have got to be a Virtanen, or at the least, part of the worst crew ever. 

4 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

Easily one of the worst posts I’ve ever seen in my years on these boards.   
You have got to be a Virtanen, or at the least, part of the worst crew ever. 

Cool story bro. 
You must be right there too, people who pass judgement all belong to the worst crew ever. I at least took the time to recognize the changes he was trying to make. Y’all are too ignorant and judging a teenager/young adult way to critically.

Whats the point of change if no one cares to acknowledge it?