The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks’ Rick Tocchet on what he wants to see from Vasily Podkolzin and Nils Höglander next season

Rate this topic

The Arrogant Worms

4 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Soo like you mean improve each season for 4 consecutive seasons?

Could contain: Text

oh I guess I could mention his point totals that increased each season as well… but anyway… 

how bout that TOI to go with production?Could contain: Text, Number, Symbol

Could contain: Text, Chart, Plot

Virtanen Greened the f*** out.

Little to no PP1 time

very limited ice time

less ozone opportunities

yet he still produced and increased his totals until Green absolutely buried him with plugs, a much heavier dZS% and reduced TOI.

Jake was lazy on and off the ice. He had serious character flaws. 

• There it is 2

16 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

oh I guess I could mention his point totals that increased each season as well… but anyway… 

Little to no PP1 time

very limited ice time

less ozone opportunities

yet he still produced and increased his totals until Green absolutely buried him with plugs, a much heavier dZS% and reduced TOI.

There was certainly a time when it looked like Jake was on his way to being a 40-ish point middle 6 forward.  

Not to be, however.

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Most shocking part of the article for me was seeing Halford and Brough described as a “noted National radio program.” I didn’t even realize they were part of regular programming coast-to-coast on Sportsnet Radio. Always thought of them as local Vancouver radio guys, but I just checked and it’s actually true that they’re on the schedule in major markets across the country, including in Toronto. I don’t really listen to sports radio much these days, other than in the car, but it’s nice to know that there are people in Toronto flipping on their radio and having to listen to two Vancouver based Canucks reporters discuss the day’s sports.

Toronto audience

Group Looking GIF by Combate Argentina

• Haha 1
  • elephant 1

Podz will find his role this year. He’s ready. 

I predict he will flank Miller and the two will be highly effective. If Boeser can get his wrister sorted out… that’ll be a lethal line.

Edited by BabychStache
  • Cheers 1

I really want to see both Hogs & Podz succeed.

Tocchet knows what it takes to be a winner. Both Hogs & Podz really needed the proper development structure to focus on improving their games, finishing, and gaining confidence. They also needed to be held accountable to get better.

So glad the days of rushing young guys onto the team are gone. We were literally incompetent with our prospects. Laughably incompetent. 

Now it's up to Hogs & Podz to ...

Pump ... themselves up ...

get-ready-pump.gif

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/12/2023 at 6:37 PM, AnthonyG said:

Little to no PP1 time

very limited ice time

less ozone opportunities

Jake is most likely the most divisive pick ever selected in a draft with Pasternak in it.

We traded away the wrong 1st rounder for a useless d man.

JV was the teammate that created the gaff that destroyed Brock Boeser’s back, he partied too hard and was a player that took down the team as a whole not as much on the ice by off the ice.

He never grew up after getting drafted,

So to give him props after so much failure and stat watching may have been the reason no other NHL team came near him with a 25 foot pole after Vancouver cut him loose.

Not one.

5 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

So to give him props after so much failure and stat watching may have been the reason no other NHL team came near him with a 25 foot pole after Vancouver cut him loose.

Not one.

Well he did have those charges hanging over his head. After he beat those, the Oilers gave him a PTO, also known as a "25-foot pole". ::D But yah, being a Fischtown Pinguin better suits him I think.

Hogs and podz needs to grow into certified top 6  players who produce on a regular basis and works hard both ends of the rink. they definetly have the potential...both of them...they need strength and conditioning but more importantly the confidence and pride of this kind of work ethic. 

On 7/11/2023 at 1:42 PM, stawns said:

He's not really big though.  He's pretty hard nosed, but he's not going to over power many NHL players.  He plays a north south game, but he's going to have to rely more on skill than brute strength at the NHL level.  Luckily, I think he's a highly skilled player

Actually all it takes is for Podz to be determined but more importantly, he could work on his speed, i'm not saying he's slow but if he can possibly be faster by any amount then that would help his game a LOT! 

Speed kills, and mixed with skill, like Mikheyev, and add some hitting to that.. 

THAT is what we need to have more of to balance out the team.

I'm thinking as for Hogs, him being sent down to work on his game was the best thing to happen for him/us so he rounded out his game better and probably a 3rd line staple for awhile with the possibility of injury move up to second line if needed. 

Looking forward for both to have some more Sedin time. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, icycold said:

Actually all it takes is for Podz to be determined but more importantly, he could work on his speed, i'm not saying he's slow but if he can possibly be faster by any amount then that would help his game a LOT! 

Speed kills, and mixed with skill, like Mikheyev, and add some hitting to that.. 

THAT is what we need to have more of to balance out the team.

I'm thinking as for Hogs, him being sent down to work on his game was the best thing to happen for him/us so he rounded out his game better and probably a 3rd line staple for awhile with the possibility of injury move up to second line if needed. 

Looking forward for both to have some more Sedin time. 

Hoglander has staple top 6 potential.  Hes probably the most naturally skilled player young player we have.  Its imperative for this club that he and Podz breakthrough this year. 

• Cheers 1

Hoglander Blueger Podkolzin

That would be a nice line to have as a natural team progression. Then you roll out

Kuzmenko Petterson Mikeyhev

Garland Miller Boeser

in your top 6 and imo upgrade on either Garland/Beau or Boeser if possible. That gives a more realistic and even distribution of salaries with opportunities available on the wings. Meanwhile the young players are also able to contribute while striving to play higher up in the line-up. Like Tocchet says, if they can bring some enthusiasm and play the game the right way with energy it be a huge benefit for us. Of course, those two would have to be able to pot some goals.

4 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Hoglander has staple top 6 potential.  Hes probably the most naturally skilled player young player we have.  Its imperative for this club that he and Podz breakthrough this year. 

Yeah some of our plans directly involve both so that would put it to rest but both are still young and even some more seasoning would be ok but not optimal but we need them both at top form and learned consistency, we definitely need to know sooner than later...

It is kind of strange waiting to see how prospects will work out, most of our franchise years had next to nothing usually, let alone 2 who could impact our team plus other prospects as well. 

I hope it keeps up, we need to reverse our forever history of $$$ FA's... 

On 7/11/2023 at 1:45 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think Hoglander will easily make the team - he brings that sort of forecheck Tocchet will love to see. The only reason he didn't stick around last time was his poor defensive play and then inconsistent scoring, but I think he brings a lot of energy like Garland/Hansen once did.

As for Podz, I worry he'll be trying too much, just like with his training, gripping his stick and go through long dry patches. Again, although he's supposed to be a top-10 pick powerforward, I think he should try and play like Hoglander - grind and forecheck first, defend well second and score third.

There's around 4 winger spots available for the likes of PDG, Hoglander, Podkolzin and Studnicka, Dries and (maybe) Pearson and that includes competing with Beauvillier and Garland. PDG finished last year strong but who knows how he plays next year. You'd expect Aiden McDonough to play in Abby but you never know, he's a solid body and 23 and looked good last season with the Canucks. 

On 7/11/2023 at 1:50 PM, Strawbone said:

Podz is a big strong guy, I just want to see him stop overthinking things and drive to the net at every opportunity. The Canucks don't have enough guys with the tools to do that. Reminds me a bit of Virtanen, maybe 5 times a year he would drive hard to the net and good things usually happened. But then he'd go weeks skating around the periphery trying to make a nice play, only to inevitably give the puck away.

Crash the net!

Podz is such a good 2 way player. I would be happy if Podz didn't even think about points but only about being better than the opposing line. 

If he could be a guy  that matches up against other top lines and really limit their chances while chipping in offensively and let guys like Petey do the scoring, I'd be happy. 

He's the type of player that will create more chances than he gives up so if he can do that against another team's top 6, we'd win more as a team regardless of how many points he puts up individually 

On 7/12/2023 at 3:37 PM, AnthonyG said:

Little to no PP1 time

very limited ice time

less ozone opportunities

the conclusions you draw from this are hilarious and antithetical to reality. 

the reality is that, despite Jake's (microscopic) offensive improvements year over year, what he actually needed to figure out was the rest of the game. he clearly failed, as he lost the trust of Travis Green, a guy who had invested substantially in Jake on a personal level, trying to develop that project. as Jake failed to improve his effort level, conditioning, and ability to understand the defensive side of the puck, despite so many opportunities to do so, Green had no choice but to use the stick instead of the carrot and reduce his ice time. all Jake had to do to get more ice time and offensive zone starts was show he was devoted to playing the game the right way, and he never succeeded in doing that. 

because he's mush between the ears. 

2 hours ago, tas said:

the conclusions you draw from this are hilarious and antithetical to reality. 

the reality is that, despite Jake's (microscopic) offensive improvements year over year, what he actually needed to figure out was the rest of the game. he clearly failed, as he lost the trust of Travis Green, a guy who had invested substantially in Jake on a personal level, trying to develop that project. as Jake failed to improve his effort level, conditioning, and ability to understand the defensive side of the puck, despite so many opportunities to do so, Green had no choice but to use the stick instead of the carrot and reduce his ice time. all Jake had to do to get more ice time and offensive zone starts was show he was devoted to playing the game the right way, and he never succeeded in doing that. 

because he's mush between the ears. 

Then why was Virtanen on for so few goals against? And had plenty of takeaways?