The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks’ Rick Tocchet on what he wants to see from Vasily Podkolzin and Nils Höglander next season

Rate this topic

The Arrogant Worms

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

When Podzilla “lets it hang” entire buildings are toppled…

Oh man I was at a Rangers game awhile back and I saw him posterize a guy against the glass in our end. Was ah-maz-ing. He was letting it hang that night. Great hit.

• Cheers 1

Curious to see where these two young bucks end up playing if the make the big club.  The only presumed locks should be Kuzmenko and Mikheyev, since I'm still of the belief management would shed any of Boeser/ Garland/ Beauvillier for the right price to free up cap (though Brock's gonna get his chances to show himself after his personal situation last year, and Beauvillier's gonna be playing for another contract so he should be ready to go; Garland's good but might be the odd man out of the top-6, so he'll appear "overpriced" again), so perhaps these two can earn roster spots as the first man in, as Tocchet would want for them.

Personally I'd want Hoglander - Miller - Boeser // Garland - Blueger - Podkolzin to be the middle 6 lines, since I think this deployment can help each of them do well (Hoglander and Miller can both dangle and shoot off the rush, and Boeser's an underrated playmaker from behind the net who can find Hoglander in tight, where he can deke in a phone booth; the Garland line will have lots of speed and Teddy's more playmaker at this point, while Garland's fed Podkolzin for several snipes in his career thus far).  

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Soucy doesn’t have prior experience playing for Tocchet, but it’s clear the Canucks coach is excited to have a player of his profile on the roster. He described the 6-foot-5 blueliner who signed a three-year contract as “a long defenceman” and “aggressive.”

Oh No Mood GIF by Saturday Night Live

He's six foot five measured.  He's got a good looking body.  It's what you want.

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Should be ample opportunity for Pods if he can cut loose a little.

Well, he's been working so hard
And punching his card
Eight hours, for what?
Oh, tell us what he's got

I've got this feeling
That time's just holding Podz down

He'll hit his ceiling
Or else fans will tear up this town

This season, he's gotta cut loose ...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

But but but, some people here say he’s a complete waste of oxygen useless convict :bigblush:

...and bingo was his name-o!

Nah, he`s not a waste of oxygen. Just a nepo-hire losing headcoach that was gifted a great group of players.

Hope it works out but he has a lot to prove. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Most shocking part of the article for me was seeing Halford and Brough described as a “noted National radio program.” I didn’t even realize they were part of regular programming coast-to-coast on Sportsnet Radio. Always thought of them as local Vancouver radio guys, but I just checked and it’s actually true that they’re on the schedule in major markets across the country, including in Toronto. I don’t really listen to sports radio much these days, other than in the car, but it’s nice to know that there are people in Toronto flipping on their radio and having to listen to two Vancouver based Canucks reporters discuss the day’s sports.

• Haha 3
  • There it is 1

On 7/11/2023 at 12:50 PM, Strawbone said:

Podz is a big strong guy, I just want to see him stop overthinking things and drive to the net at every opportunity. The Canucks don't have enough guys with the tools to do that. Reminds me a bit of Virtanen, maybe 5 times a year he would drive hard to the net and good things usually happened. But then he'd go weeks skating around the periphery trying to make a nice play, only to inevitably give the puck away.

Crash the net!

Even better we can have a new stat for Podz. Call it the something that calls into mind that it sucks to be a defender. The stat goes like this.

Every time you bring the puck in, or someone else does, it gets dumped to the corner, and Podz job is to destroy the defender that dares to pick it up.

That when it works will create chaos that will make it impossible to think, though "go to the net" is the next step in a pinch, but it will definitely eliminate squezzing the stick (because you barely even need it for that move)  and it with the chaos it creates it will eliminate the time to think.

For the offseason, to support that, just skate, do squats, and hang out with the baby.

On 7/11/2023 at 1:01 PM, Phat Fingers said:

some figure it out and then the others Virtannen.

Soo like you mean improve each season for 4 consecutive seasons?

Could contain: Text

oh I guess I could mention his point totals that increased each season as well… but anyway… 

how bout that TOI to go with production?Could contain: Text, Number, Symbol

Could contain: Text, Chart, Plot

Virtanen Greened the f*** out.

Little to no PP1 time

very limited ice time

less ozone opportunities

yet he still produced and increased his totals until Green absolutely buried him with plugs, a much heavier dZS% and reduced TOI.