The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks’ Rick Tocchet on what he wants to see from Vasily Podkolzin and Nils Höglander next season

Rate this topic

The Arrogant Worms

I think Hoglander will easily make the team - he brings that sort of forecheck Tocchet will love to see. The only reason he didn't stick around last time was his poor defensive play and then inconsistent scoring, but I think he brings a lot of energy like Garland/Hansen once did.

As for Podz, I worry he'll be trying too much, just like with his training, gripping his stick and go through long dry patches. Again, although he's supposed to be a top-10 pick powerforward, I think he should try and play like Hoglander - grind and forecheck first, defend well second and score third.

There's around 4 winger spots available for the likes of PDG, Hoglander, Podkolzin and Studnicka, Dries and (maybe) Pearson and that includes competing with Beauvillier and Garland. PDG finished last year strong but who knows how he plays next year. You'd expect Aiden McDonough to play in Abby but you never know, he's a solid body and 23 and looked good last season with the Canucks. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think Hoglander will easily make the team - he brings that sort of forecheck Tocchet will love to see. The only reason he didn't stick around last time was his poor defensive play and then inconsistent scoring, but I think he brings a lot of energy like Garland/Hansen once did.

As for Podz, I worry he'll be trying too much, just like with his training, gripping his stick and go through long dry patches. Again, although he's supposed to be a top-10 pick powerforward, I think he should try and play like Hoglander - grind and forecheck first, defend well second and score third.

There's around 4 winger spots available for the likes of PDG, Hoglander, Podkolzin and Studnicka, Dries and (maybe) Pearson and that includes competing with Beauvillier and Garland. PDG finished last year strong but who knows how he plays next year. You'd expect Aiden McDonough to play in Abby but you never know, he's a solid body and 23 and looked good last season with the Canucks. 

Down and Under…

Podz has the same trajectory that a lot of Power Forwards get into with a surge and then crash then figure out what they can and the next time some figure it out and then the others Virtannen.

I see the work ethic and thinking that some power forwards lack and never gain.

Reps will ease players into things better than any other cure.

If he is shredded already, by the interview, it sounds like Tochett isn’t worried about the things most coach’s worry about with their players, the work is being done.

‘Podz, go out a party a bit, just not too much.’ Is basically what Tochett said…

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Finally, a coach who demands effort and accountability.  I'm not sure any of the players really took to heart when Desjardins and Green spoke. Boudreau was just having a good time, watching the Canucks every other night from the best seat in the house. He didn't demand anything though. Torts was too over the top and players probably hated him (instead of respecting). AV was great, but that was 10+ years ago.   

Tocchet is the guy that will get them there, and if players aren't willing to do what they have to do, they'll be gone. Really like this new management/coaching regime. They were brought in to build a championship team and I feel confident they will. 

image.gif.e6ada4053f9b0f1f3c5377c32fa2bc42.gif

Pointing Up Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He's not really big though.  He's pretty hard nosed, but he's not going to over power many NHL players.  He plays a north south game, but he's going to have to rely more on skill than brute strength at the NHL level.  Luckily, I think he's a highly skilled player

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

When you're coach tells you to chill a bit more in the offseason that must really speak to the physical shape Podz is in right now and the work being done. If he makes the big club next year that is great, but I'm fine with him being our top winger in Abby too if needed. I'd want to see him rack up points. 

Good on him and congrats to his wife and him on the baby! 

Also I love Hoglander and hope he makes the team next year. 

• Cheers 2