The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Alex Galchenyuk

Can someone explain terminating a contract in the NHL?

Buyouts I get.

Is termination, you've done something like Kane and his gambling etc. Do you have to do something that's not a part of the code of conduct on your contract?

I've seen more terminations in this offseason than I've ever seen before. I would imagine the NHLPA does not like the idea of mutual agreements to terminate contracts.

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Can someone explain terminating a contract in the NHL?

Buyouts I get.

Is termination, you've done something like Kane and his gambling etc. Do you have to do something that's not a part of the code of conduct on your contract?

I've seen more terminations in this offseason than I've ever seen before. I would imagine the NHLPA does not like the idea of mutual agreements to terminate contracts.

There are mutual terminations when both sides agree to split.  Anyone can do that any time.

This appears to be the team terminating the contract without an agreement from the player.  That is an entirely different thing and the NHLPA will become involved as their holy grail is guaranteed contracts.  They don’t want teams to be able to drop players under contract.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Man, the 'chuk has really moved around. One has to wonder what his deal is, and in this case, why Arizona of all teams pulled off a hire and fire.

SImply put: The guy is washed up. Was a pretty good player back in the day, but has become pretty irrelevant for years now.

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Hey Coyotes,

You are getting one big injury away from being below your minimum salary.

Could we interest you in Brock Boeser, or Garland, or Beau?

Injuries count against the cap - ie it can't drop them below the floor.  They are above the floor already and can fill the rest of their roster with league minimum players.  

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, mll said:

Injuries count against the cap - ie it can't drop them below the floor.  They are above the floor already and can fill the rest of their roster with league minimum players.  

Could we just interest you in Brock, Beau or Garland and not want a high return? :lol:

• Vintage 1