The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Payback is a …..

Hypothetically speaking   

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With the Rangers only having 2m of cap space left and still need to re-sign Lafreniere. Do make yourself a target by offering an offer sheet to Lafreniere in the 3-4m range?

The compensation would only be a 2nd round pick.

Edited by shiznak

3 minutes ago, shiznak said:

4m in LTIR.

One of Beauvillier or Garland would be gone, if a trade were to happen.

I don't think putting yourself in a position to take a massive loss is a good move, better to make the moves first to at least get near full value and at the very least not have to pay to move them.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Which 2nd round pick, praytell, would we be giving the Rags if they choose not to match?

Last I checked, the Chicago Bedards have our 2nd round pick for 2024.

Right, I totally forgot it was a 2024 2nd, not a 2023 2nd.

I’m also surprised no teams have even thought about giving him an offer sheet. I mean, there’s little risk to take on a 4m/1yr deal. 

Worst case scenario, he puts up 30-35 points.

Edited by shiznak
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Right, I totally forgot it was a 2024 2nd, not a 2023 2nd.

I’m also surprised no teams have even thought about giving him an offer sheet. I mean, there’s little risk to take on a 4m/1yr deal. 

Worst case scenario, he puts up 30-35 points.

Not sure any team he may sign with has 4 million and a second round pick to spare on a roll of the dice.

Beauvilier 50% retained for Laf straight up. Beauvilier takes that 3rd line spot on the NYR. Dip into the LTIR money to make Laff a 1-2 year deal around 1.2 per.Then we unload Garland magically and our forward group looks like.

Mik Petey Kuzmenko

Laff Miller Boeser

Hogz Blueger Joshua

PDG Aman Podz

extras: Stud, Dries, Kravstov,  (Pearson probably won't be healthy to start the season-LTIR)

Decent mix of speed, size, skill. Lots of young guys looking to prove they belong, playing hungry...letting it hang :frantic:

31 minutes ago, Caboose said:

The Canucks definitely need to give up more draft assets to acquire cast offs from other teams, its a proven method of success for them.

I think I’d gladly take a 30-40 points NHL player for a 2nd round pick that has less than a 40% chance of ever making into the league.

Also we’re not talking about a cast off, who is 24/25. He’s going to turn 22 this season. Still has the potential to be a star in this league. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Fen1010 said:

Not sure any team he may sign with has 4 million and a second round pick to spare on a roll of the dice.

Chicago been handing out 4m for over the hill players like Perry and Foligno, they could as could other teams...offer sheets just rarely happen and when they do usually there is payback from the team like Carolina and Montreal, Canucks and Blues back in the day. If we had cap space, it is worth the risk probably. I would trade Beau for a pick and consider going after Laf or try to trade for him first and if the ask is crazy then you could do an offer sheet if you really thought this player could turn it around and help us.

Big year ahead for Hog and Pod, they need to take the next step and be at worst top 9 contributors if not then going after Laf might be a thing of the past if he gets dealt or offer sheeted this off season or dealt at the 2024 TDL.

Canucks have too many wingers, need to try to move some but might have to wait till early 2024 or the TDL. Also, Laf was a C in junior was he not but only been playing wing in the NHL? Has more value if he is seen as a C vs W 

47 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Beauvilier 50% retained for Laf straight up. Beauvilier takes that 3rd line spot on the NYR. Dip into the LTIR money to make Laff a 1-2 year deal around 1.2 per.Then we unload Garland magically and our forward group looks like.

Mik Petey Kuzmenko

Laff Miller Boeser

Hogz Blueger Joshua

PDG Aman Podz

extras: Stud, Dries, Kravstov,  (Pearson probably won't be healthy to start the season-LTIR)

Decent mix of speed, size, skill. Lots of young guys looking to prove they belong, playing hungry...letting it hang :frantic:

Kravstov signed for two years in the KHL. We still own his rights.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not sure that the Canucks should take a flyer on this guy. 

He’s not a RT type player but maybe he can regain some magic under a coach who isn’t a tyrant and a douche canoe like Gerald Gallant was I would say Rick Bowness or even BB somebody who isn’t that tough on players.

ps: Gerard Gallant isn’t much of a players coach to say the least and this young fella probably had coaches who let him be a little less accountable on the defensive side of things.

Edited by CanuckleHorse

6 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

He’s not a RT type player but maybe he can regain some magic under a coach who isn’t a tyrant and a douche canoe I would say Rick Bowness or even BB somebody who isn’t that tough on players.

Fair enough. I don’t think he’ll really live up to his hype. 

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Fair enough. I don’t think he’ll really live up to his hype. 

I think some coaches destroy a player’s confidence when they don’t do what is expected this kid is a speed boat Gerard probably was trying to get him to play more of a complete game when he should be given a tiny bit a reign and let him run a bit.

Edited by CanuckleHorse
  • Vintage 1