The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Flames to retire Miikka Kiprusoff‘s No. 34

Rate this topic

Howdy boys, last year was a sh**show and fans are pi$$ed! Treliving messed things up so bad, hopefully he'll continue to do that in Teranna. I reckon we need to give the fanbase a boost, get things kicked off on the right footing this season. We need a feel good story fast.  Think boys, think!

13 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Congratulations Kipper but his jersey going up before Fleury is ridiculous.

It's one thing for the Hall of Fame to do Fleury dirty but the Calgary Flames organization shouldn't.

Meh. Fleury has been a polarizing figure going back to his playing days.  His attitude, history of substance abuse (he used his own infants sons urine  to cheat drug trsts) and problematic politics just don't make him a likeable enough guy to want to celebrate. Yeah. He was a point a game player during the firewagon period of hockey. Lots of guys were.  But I don't think he ever won any individual awards. 

• Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Meh. Fleury has been a polarizing figure going back to his playing days.  His attitude, history of substance abuse (he used his own infants sons urine  to cheat drug trsts) and problematic politics just don't make him a likeable enough guy to want to celebrate. Yeah. He was a point a game player during the firewagon period of hockey. Lots of guys were.  But I don't think he ever won any individual awards. 

Don't care AT ALL about his politics.  Take his substance abuse and put it against his sexual abuse survival and he comes out way ahead or at least he should in people's eyes.  He was top five for the Hart Trophy twice.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Don't care AT ALL about his politics.  Take his substance abuse and put it against his sexual abuse survival and he comes out way ahead or at least he should in people's eyes.  He was top five for the Hart Trophy twice.

Main reason why I'm willing to cut him a little slack no matter how bat**** crazy some of his political opinions are.  I can't say I'd end up "normal" if I had to go thru what he had to go thru.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Cool. But retiring a number is as much a PR move as it is a celebration of the player's accomplishments. You're celebrating the person. He's not deserving of that honour 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Cool. But retiring a number is as much a PR move as it is a celebration of the player's accomplishments. You're celebrating the person. He's not deserving of that honour 

PR move isn't a very good reason to retire a jersey in my opinion.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Welcome to the world today. 

Optics over results.  Enjoy.

Let's not celebrate perhaps the greatest small player in NHL history, an inspiration to anyone around his height that it's not completely impossible to make it, a First Nations player, probably the greatest of all time other than Trottier, also a guy who could have won the Masterton Trophy for what he overcame in junior (either the sexual abuse OR the arm nerve injury), a guy who was also a builder and invested in the Calgary major junior hockey team...because you don't like what he thinks about COVID?

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Thanks 1
  • There it is 2