The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Q&A: Tocchet on Canucks’ off-season moves, leadership and Pettersson’s future

Rate this topic

The Arrogant Worms

4 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

If that's a winning formula, then I'm all in. Tired of losing out year after year. And what is more boring, playing a tight defensive game and winning or playing a wide open Boudreau style that bleeds goals and piles up losses? I'll take tight defence and let whatever happens happen because what they've been doing for the last 12 years clearly hasn't worked.

4 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

If that gets us winning consistently, more disciplined, more responsible ... so be it. On the flip side, fans also need to embrace the uncomfortable.

Tocchet says this earlier in the interview ... 

"Getting Cole and Soucy, Blueger and Suter ... these guys are very good penalty killers. They're grittier guys. They're willing to block shots. They don't let pucks through them, they knock pucks down. That's what good penalty killers do."

That's the type of uncomfortable and sacrifice it takes to win.

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

The inspired pond hockey didn't get us anything, as entertaining as the games were. 
We may get some boring hockey games, but if we can win them, its a step up. 
Not every game under AV was entertaining (some were calling for him to be sacked). But it gave is a memorable run...

Wasn’t saying was a bad thing. Can clearly see that is what most of the newer guys are aimed toward as well as some of the players like Mik that they added last year. Getting Mik and Podz into our top 6 would make a very different looking team with a microscopic bottom 6. 
Not sure Podz will be there next season or not. 
work in progress but still doesn’t really seem like the right forward core to suit Tocchet’s style. 

• Cheers 2

43 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Wasn’t saying was a bad thing. Can clearly see that is what most of the newer guys are aimed toward as well as some of the players like Mik that they added last year. Getting Mik and Podz into our top 6 would make a very different looking team with a microscopic bottom 6. 
work in progress but still doesn’t really seem like the right forward core to suit Tocchet’s style. 

The top 6 needs some ruthless aggression.   All for podz working his way in there.  Mik would look best with suter on a 3rd line but dont mind him in top 6 either.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

If they can keep working on Podz to become more physical, improve his board battles, be harder to play against, while also giving him the freedom offensively, that will improve his confidence significantly. I love how he's coachable and willing to put in the work. I'm guessing Tocchet loves that as well. If Podz can really learn from Tocchet, he'll up his value in the lineup as he matures. 

The nostalgia in me wants to see this happen...

Aqualini's buy the Pacific Coliseum and make that the Canucks practice facility. They upgrade it obviously and if possible build an addition that would give the players their fancy new gym, sauna/therapy rooms, pool and hottub with all the fancy best features for the players. Maybe allow fans to come to some of the practices where families can watch for cheap compared to attending an actual game. Season ticket holders get to see some practices I think...not sure maybe you can attend some practices already I really don't know!!!

This likely never happens but would be cool if it did imo...

40 minutes ago, -Viking said:

Aqualini's buy the Pacific Coliseum and make that the Canucks practice facility. They upgrade it obviously and if possible build an addition that would give the players their fancy new gym, sauna/therapy rooms, pool and hottub with all the fancy best features for the players. Maybe allow fans to come to some of the practices where families can watch for cheap compared to attending an actual game. Season ticket holders get to see some practices I think...not sure maybe you can attend some practices already I really don't know!!!

why do they need an entire stadium to practice? 

43 minutes ago, -Viking said:

The aquas are hurting and cash strapped.  Id probably bet they sell the team within the next 3 yrs.

36 minutes ago, hammertime said:

They don’t.

And buying a dilapidated stadium that was built with public funds would just be bad optics.

The Aquilinis want it built across the street I’m pretty sure they’ve had their eye on that land for awhile. They need to be able to sell it to the city and and the province though in order for them to kick in funds.

Gotta wonder if the 2030 Olympic bid that was dead and then wasn’t plays into that.

Edited by DeNiro

39 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Like I said it was my dream not the reality. But for the sake of it, they do buy the stadium then they charge to view a certain amount or dare I say all practices at a cheaper rate that is affordable for young families who are not in school yet and or practice is held on a weekend. Would bring in revenue for owner, but they would limit how many people and maybe have nobody in the lower bowl, just suites if they even exist I can't remember and maybe the entire upper bowl or the center on both side of the upper bowl at least.

Again its a dream, owner just needs to build a rink on a piece of land and have a nice off ice area for the players to train/relax/eat/treatments etc...We are the only or 1 of 2 NHL teams that do NOT have their own practice facility. In today's day in age what these athletes make and how much tickets cost Aqualini SHOULD build a practice facility for the players. 

Maybe then we can win a Stanley Cup!?

Most teams who win the Cup do...

Players and picks traded from the Canucks during Jim Benning's Tenure:

— Jared McCann

— Gustav Forsling

— 9th overall pick (became Dylan Guenther)

— 20th overall pick (became Shakir Mukhamadullin)

— 2nd rd pick (became Rasmus Andersson)

— 2nd rd pick (became Filip Gustavsson)

— 2nd rd pick (became Rasmus Asplund)

— 2nd rd pick (became Theodor Niederbach)

— 2nd rd pick (became Hunter Haight)

— 2nd rd pick (became Roland McKeown)

— 3rd rd pick (became Hugo Alnefelt)

— 4th rd pick (became Ethan Del Mastro)

The remaining pieces from those deals:

— Conor Garland

— JT Miller

— Tanner Pearson

— Jack Studnicka

Jim Benning must have absolutely hated the idea of Vancouver being a successful team.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

— Jared McCann

— Gustav Forsling

— Conor Garland

— JT Miller

— Tanner Pearson

— Jack Studnicka

Jim Benning must have absolutely hated the idea of Vancouver being a successful team.

Interesting .... How many of those players/picks are still on that team though.

Allvin has done well with personnel this off-season but now we need to coach and implement them in the right way. The big thing for me will be how we use Soucy and Cole to support Hughes and Hronek. We could have a great combination of defencemen there and Myers could even thrive on a bottom pairing role. We also could have a disaster, as neither Cole or Soucy have played bigger responsibilities like this (especially Soucy).

When you look at the division, we're not cracking the top 3 of Vegas, Edmonton and LA, or heck even Seattle to be fair (although they may not be as great a regular season team as a playoff deep team). So then we're looking at contending for those wild card spots against Calgary, Nashille, Winnipeg, Minnesota and maybe St. Louis. I think we can be better than all of those teams for sure.

No secret that our season really rests of our stars Petey, Miller, Hughes (I'd throw Hronek in there too) and most importantly - Demko. If he's healthy and plays the way he can, we're easily in the playoffs. He's a top-5 NHL goalie. If we get a major injury to one or two of our stars I think we're finished - we don't have the elite depth to back it up really. 

Special teams is obviously huge, we'll have a decent top-10 if not top-5 powerplay with those stars, but our PK has ruined our seasons for the last few years. Don't want to say single-handedly, but it's been close, and really a combination of poor coaching and bad defensive personnel. Now we've hopefully fixed them, let's see what they can do. Just don't be bottom-10 on the PK and we've got a chance I'd say.

For me I give us a...60% chance of making the playoffs next year, but under the condition that our stars are mostly healthy for most of the year.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

— Jared McCann

— Gustav Forsling

— Conor Garland

— JT Miller

— Tanner Pearson

— Jack Studnicka

Bit of patience would have been needed but you've got a pretty decent squad there around McCann and Guenther, Mukh and Forsling and Andersson. Pretty much pissed away a better top-4 defence than we've had for years.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Bit of patience would have been needed but you've got a pretty decent squad there around McCann and Guenther, Mukh and Forsling and Andersson. Pretty much pissed away a better top-4 defence than we've had for years.

Potentially, yes a better top 4, but Mukh hasn't even played in the NHL yet.  So can't really count him.  Also McCann and Forsling were both gone from the teams that acquired them.  

11 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Not to mention this is the type of hockey that gives you wins in the playoffs. Maybe that  why we have Presidents trophies but no Stanley Cups?::D

Very likely...

I'd love to see us have another run like that one, but with a different outcome in game 7. 
Time to kick some ass...

8 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

so much optimism here.  

few more changes need to be made to the roster before we get a sniff at the post season.

Sure, why not...

Plenty of time to be disappointed. Life is too short. 
Drop the damn puck and lets see what happens next. 

• Cheers 1