[PROPOSAL] Vancouver and Carolina Blockbuster Trade

To Carolina: 

Thatcher Demko

Anthony Beauvillier 

To Vancouver:

Brett Pesce

Frederik Andersen 

2024 2nd round pick 

Cap numbers work. We get our partner for Quinn Hughes. Carolina gets their #1 goalie for a cup run this year.  Andersen will be our starter until Silovs is ready. We also open up $1.7 million in cap space so we should be fine on opening night. 

I would only do this deal with a Pesce extension in place. 6.5x6. Gives us time to properly develop Willander and not rush him. Once Willander is ready to play with Hughes then Pesce can play on our 3rd pairing in 3-4 years. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Good proposal. 

However, I do think it hinges on how good Silovs can handle NHL's number 1 duty in the coming years. Demko is one player that we can use as a great trading chip if he can get back to his normal only because Silovs looks ready to step in this or next year if needed. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

To Carolina: 

Thatcher Demko

Anthony Beauvillier 

To Vancouver:

Brett Pesce

Frederik Andersen 

2024 2nd round pick 

Cap numbers work. We get our partner for Quinn Hughes. Carolina gets their #1 goalie for a cup run this year.  Andersen will be our starter until Silovs is ready. We also open up $1.7 million in cap space so we should be fine on opening night. 

I would only do this deal with a Pesce extension in place. 6.5x6. Gives us time to properly develop Willander and not rush him. Once Willander is ready to play with Hughes then Pesce can play on our 3rd pairing in 3-4 years. 

So we trade top 10 goalie Demko 28 Dec-- 3 yrs @ 5 million

Beauvillier 26 - 4.1 @ 1 yr UFA

Pesce 6'3 RD - 29 November -- UFA July 1st - Demand 6 million X 6 yrs ?

Anderson 34 October -- Better days behind him 2 yrs @ 3.4 million -- Hurt lots..

Vancouver are way better keeping Demko top 10 goalie..

Carolina would have to sweeten deal

1. Hughes  2. Hronek will demand 5.5--6 million --1 yr @ 4.4   RFA

I don't make this deal doesn't make sense? Make deals for players under 27...

57 minutes ago, TopChed said:

Hell to the Naw. That's putting all your eggs in Silovs basket. The kid looks good but I'm not betting the farm on him just yet. This would be a terrible idea. Pesce wants too much money or Carolina wouldn't be shopping him. 

Remember how good the WCE era team was it didn't matter they couldn't do squat in the playoffs with Clouts between the pipes. 

Trading Demko would be foolish. 

He's adding Andersen. But why would Carolina want a goalie who is only semi-durable? Even if Hughes is the bait.

Pesce isn't the answer. In addition that leaves a gaping hole on our left side defence.

So you are strengthening one side and weakening the other.

Edited by Ghostsof1915

Carolina has a bigger winger surplus than we do.

According to Daily Faceoff they've got a player like Teravainen playing on the 4th line.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/carolina-hurricanes/line-combinations

Even if/ when the cap goes up we can't keep paying 6mill for a d- man who plays on the 3rd line.  

That's not good cap management. 

Next year we are paying a player who is playing for Florida nearly the equivalent of Luke Shenns new salary to play for them

For 2 years after that we are paying him a mill under current Gavrikovs salary not to play for us.

And for 2 years after that we are paying him what in reality is what a team that manages their cap competently pays their third pairing d- man. 

We have to start managing our cap properly.

Edited by Ilunga
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

While I do think Pesce is a borderline $8M level of player at the moment, the way he is trending should concern you.  He is already showing small signs of decline.  I know Canes fans are hesitant about him because he's got serious injury history and they've also noticed his game slip up just a bit.  Obviously they'd like to keep homegrown talent like Pesce but they're also afraid of Waddell throwing a blank cheque at him.

Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Chart, Face, Head, Line Chart

Could contain: Chart, Gantt Chart

He is still a beast on retrievals and entry defense, but the offense has already started to taper off.  That 6x$6.5M contract is gonna turn into another albatross much faster than you think.

Edited by Bob.Loblaw
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

10 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Carolina has a bigger winger surplus than we do.

According to Daily Faceoff they've got a player like Teravainen playing on the 4th line.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/carolina-hurricanes/line-combinations

Even if/ when the cap goes up we can't keep paying 6mill for a d- man who plays on the 3rd line.  

That's not good cap management. 

Next year we are paying a player who is playing for Florida nearly the equivalent of Luke Shenns new salary to play for them

For 2 years after that we are paying him a mill under current Gavrikovs salary not to play for us.

And for 2 years after that we are paying him what in reality is what a team that manages their cap competently pays their third pairing d- man. 

We have to start managing our cap properly.

That's what we're pretty much doing now with Myers. It's got to stop. 

And like you say, this management has to get the salary cap under control. 

• There it is 1

7 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

On a lighter note, @Elias Pettersson just because we manifested our Suter dreams into reality doesn't mean it'll work again.

But you can try.

At some point, Allvin is going to read CDC and make the trade proposal to the other team and it's going to happen.  The more trade proposals I make the better chance I have that one of mine is the winner.  Like buying a lotto ticket...

• RoughGame 1

12 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

While I do think Pesce is a borderline $8M level of player at the moment, the way he is trending should concern you.  He is already showing small signs of decline.  I know Canes fans are hesitant about him because he's got serious injury history and they've also noticed his game slip up just a bit.  Obviously they'd like to keep homegrown talent like Pesce but they're also afraid of Waddell throwing a blank cheque at him.

Could contain: Adult, Male, Man, Person, Chart, Face, Head, Line Chart

Could contain: Chart, Gantt Chart

He is still a beast on retrievals and entry defense, but the offense has already started to taper off.  That 6x$6.5M contract is gonna turn into another albatross much faster than you think.

Pesce will get a 6.5x6 deal from someone.  I mean we gave Myers a 6x5 deal at the same age 4 years ago.  Pesce is still playing at a high level.  He's not rapidly declining like Parayko.  If Silovs is the real deal, then we are back to Luongo/Schneider or even Markstrom/Demko.  One of them has to go.  We kept the older goalie in Luongo, but then kept the younger goalie in Demko.  I guess we could always trade Silovs if he lights it up this year.  But my hunch is Demko will be the one to go in the next two years prior to him becoming a UFA.  Pesce for Demko is a fair deal for both parties, I even threw in a 2nd round pick.  The other players are only in the deal for cap reasons. 

Demko isn't going to have a huge trade value on the open market.  Most goalies don't.  if you can get a top 4 RHD for Demko who is under 30 you can pull the trigger...

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

At some point, Allvin is going to read CDC and make the trade proposal to the other team and it's going to happen.  The more trade proposals I make the better chance I have that one of mine is the winner.  Like buying a lotto ticket...

If that’s true, keep pushing a Myers for Crosby trade.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pesce will get a 6.5x6 deal from someone.  I mean we gave Myers a 6x5 deal at the same age 4 years ago.  Pesce is still playing at a high level.  He's not rapidly declining like Parayko.  If Silovs is the real deal, then we are back to Luongo/Schneider or even Markstrom/Demko.  One of them has to go.  We kept the older goalie in Luongo, but then kept the younger goalie in Demko.  I guess we could always trade Silovs if he lights it up this year.  But my hunch is Demko will be the one to go in the next two years prior to him becoming a UFA.  Pesce for Demko is a fair deal for both parties, I even threw in a 2nd round pick.  The other players are only in the deal for cap reasons. 

Demko isn't going to have a huge trade value on the open market.  Most goalies don't.  if you can get a top 4 RHD for Demko who is under 30 you can pull the trigger...

Don't be silly. Goalies don't grow on trees. When you have an elite one you hang on. Don't trade Demko for a soon to be over paid Pesce. It's just an all round bad idea. 

I'd consider maybe selling high on Kuzzmenko for a long term solution D partner for Hughes. 

I have a bigger blockbuster but the Islanders would be crazy to agree.

Demko

Hughes

for

Dobson

Sorokin

Calle Odelius

Samuel Bolduc

Trade #2

Nils Hoglander

To anyone for a 4th round pick.

Weakens the Left Side but we strengthen our goaltending to a truly elite level.

But it will never happen.

2 minutes ago, TopChed said:

Don't be silly. Goalies don't grow on trees. When you have an elite one you hang on. Don't trade Demko for a soon to be over paid Pesce. It's just an all round bad idea. 

I'd consider maybe selling high on Kuzzmenko for a long term solution D partner for Hughes. 

Vegas won the cup with Adin Hill.  Colorado won the cup with Philip Grubauer.  We had a hall of famer in Luongo and still couldn't win the cup.  Rangers can't get to the final with the best goalie in the world in Shesterkin.  Rangers couldn't even beat New Jersey last year who had a rookie goalie in net.  What the Canucks really need to do is put a defensive structure in place so that we don't need to rely on a goalie to win games.  That's exactly what Tocchet is trying to do...

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Alright, let me adjust my earlier premise... If you think we can actually extend Pesce at 6x$6.5M, he'll probably live up to his value for most of his contract.  Do I... think it's realistic that a $39 million contract is the best offer he'll get on the market?  Hell no.  The cap is going up next offseason and Pesce knows some nutjob will be willing to throw $45-50 million at him.

As for Pesce's inevitable decline, it really should concern you that Canes fans/pundits have already begun to notice smalls signs even though he's only 28.  It should also concern you that Pesce has logged a ton of tough, physical, defensive minutes in his younger years, and has racked up quite a few injuries over the years because of it.  I think Pesce is an infinitely better player than Myers when he joined us in 2019, but he already has all the signs of a gradual decline and I'm not sure about spending that much money on someone whose best years are already behind him.

For posterity, here was Myers' WAR card in his last year with Winnipeg vs now.  Garbage.

Could contain: Text, Person, Number, Symbol   Could contain: Text, Person

Edited by Bob.Loblaw
  • Cheers 3