The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PROPOSAL] Vancouver and Carolina Blockbuster Trade

18 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Alright, let me adjust my earlier premise... If you think we can actually extend Pesce at 6x$6.5M, he'll probably live up to his value for most of his contract.  Do I... think it's realistic that a $39 million contract is the best offer he'll get on the market?  Hell no.  The cap is going up next offseason and Pesce knows some nutjob will be willing to throw $45-50 million at him.

As for Pesce's inevitable decline, it really should concern you that Canes fans/pundits have already begun to notice smalls signs even though he's only 28.  It should also concern you that Pesce has logged a ton of tough, physical, defensive minutes in his younger years, and has racked up quite a few injuries over the years because of it.  I think Pesce is an infinitely better player than Myers when he joined us in 2019, but he already has all the signs of a gradual decline and I'm not sure about spending that much money on someone whose best years are already behind him.

For posterity, here was Myers' WAR card in his last year with Winnipeg vs now.  Garbage.

Could contain: Text, Person, Number, Symbol   Could contain: Text, Person

Wow, was Myers really that bad when we gave him $30 million?  :o

We aren't getting a 24-25 year old top 4 RHD for Demko.  At the end of the day, if Silovs is the real deal then Demko has to go.  Are we going to sign Demko to a 6-7 year extension at 30 years old when Silovs is around?

Also, Pesce has only had one major injury to his shoulder.  And he rehabbed mostly in the offseason.  He played every game last year.  I mean Petey already has missed half a season with injury, plus had a concussion in his first season, so injuries can happen to anyone at any time.  I'm not too concerned about that.  

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wow, was Myers really that bad when we gave him $30 million?  :o

We aren't getting a 24-25 year old top 4 RHD for Demko.  At the end of the day, if Silovs is the real deal then Demko has to go.  Are we going to sign Demko to a 6-7 year extension at 30 years old when Silovs is around?

Also, Pesce has only had one major injury to his shoulder.  And he rehabbed mostly in the offseason.  He played every game last year.  I mean Petey already has missed half a season with injury, plus had a concussion in his first season, so injuries can happen to anyone at any time.  I'm not too concerned about that.  

We need an emoji to capture the feelings I'm expressing here:

Could contain: Formal Wear, Tie, Face, Head, Person, Portrait, Adult, Male, Man, Suit Could contain: Head, Person, Face, Smoke, Adult, Male, Man, Smoking

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Well looks like Hoglander's back to the minors again with Pearson coming back. We also have Di Giuseppe, Dries, Studnicka on standby. Harsh game.. some times you only get that handful of games to prove yourself. 

Hog will get picked up. Alvin has to move cap put his big boy pants on and fix his mess on the wing. 

16 hours ago, TopChed said:

Hell to the Naw. That's putting all your eggs in Silovs basket. The kid looks good but I'm not betting the farm on him just yet. This would be a terrible idea. Pesce wants too much money or Carolina wouldn't be shopping him. 

Remember how good the WCE era team was it didn't matter they couldn't do squat in the playoffs with Clouts between the pipes. 

Trading Demko would be foolish. 

While that was definitely true then, I’m not so sure now. Who was Vegas’s goalie again. Oh right, I forgot his name too…

48 minutes ago, Your Time Is Now said:

While that was definitely true then, I’m not so sure now. Who was Vegas’s goalie again. Oh right, I forgot his name too…

Yup. If a club like the Kings offers up a fantastic return for Demko Allvin has to put down the shine wax and get that trade done. 

• There it is 1

Refreshingly original proposal EP. Well done.

I prefer to keep Demko, and make multiple attempts at more affordable/less proven (and younger) players for Hughes’ partner.

That said, we need another top 4 D, and there’s something to be said for not messing around, and getting a premium shutdown D (albeit late) in his prime.

Like I said…solid proposal ::D

I like Silovs as a prospect too but I wouldn't go anointing him as the starter apparent just yet. I also question whether Carolina wouldn't simply give Pesce that deal themselves if he were willing to take it. Hard to say where they're at with him but I haven't read anything recent about him in a little while. 

Carolina's got some decisions to make on D but it's not as if Orlov has lengthy term. 

I question how Andersen would play here, you don't necessarily need a star tender to win games but he's played for one of the best defensive teams in the league. 

I would consider the deal if Carolina was open to it, mostly because the biggest asset we give up is Demko, but I question Beau's value to Carolina and Carolina's interest in Demko with Kochetkov in the wings. 

I question the goalie fit for us and question why they'd give us a 2nd on top of Pesce and Andersen, I also question their need for Demko, who's the biggest piece we'd be offering. 

Nope. 

First, a lot depends on this year. Speculation is that Petey wants to see how this year goes, and a lot of changes were made. If this season doesn't right the ship, this team will continue to be in the flux we've already been through for some time. A lot of things need to go right, and goaltending has proven to be key to the success of this team especially. 

Second is tied to the first, whereby strong goaltending is a must. A GM doesn't bet his teams future on a prospect or a maybe. He has a ways to go still before relying on him as our goalie of the future is a reasonable risk.

Pretty close to fair. I'd say maybe they need to make that 2nd a 1st (Demko is BPA here I'd say, granted hard to compare). 

But overall for Van I'd say no. Goaltending is such an annoying issue to have and we've really lucked out since the early 2000s when it was a disaster. Demko is our guy for now, if Silvos shows he's a #1 then we can trade Demmer. 

Until then it is his net to hold and this team needs to make the playoffs

On 9/9/2023 at 7:14 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

To Carolina: 

Thatcher Demko

Anthony Beauvillier 

To Vancouver:

Brett Pesce

Frederik Andersen 

2024 2nd round pick 

Cap numbers work. We get our partner for Quinn Hughes. Carolina gets their #1 goalie for a cup run this year.  Andersen will be our starter until Silovs is ready. We also open up $1.7 million in cap space so we should be fine on opening night. 

I would only do this deal with a Pesce extension in place. 6.5x6. Gives us time to properly develop Willander and not rush him. Once Willander is ready to play with Hughes then Pesce can play on our 3rd pairing in 3-4 years. 

Demko is far too valuable to this team. Pesce can be had without giving Demko up in a trade.