The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks name Quinn Hughes as captain

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

They are buddies off the ice. 

Who cares if they are buddies off the ice.  No one cares whos buddies with who.  You're fans are paying to watch you win hockey games.  I feel like so many fans are distracted by the off ice lovey dovey crap that they dont even care if we win or not.   

I certainly hope there arent any more excuses this year with this core.  We go into every year with the same optimism and the core just lets the fanbase that is actually sick of losing down. 

• Huggy Bear 1

26 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Sorry that doesn't bother me at all.  I'm a little tired of the leaders we've had on this team since Linden.   I'm sure Miller would have toned his stuff down if asked.    A couple things and he's somehow not a good leader is a bunch of BS.   Or made a good Captain.  Aren't you a little bit sick and tired of watching guys walk down the tunnel with their heads held down?   Know Miller confused Delia but it wasn't like he didn't scream at it him to leave before starting to hit the net with his stick, and yes it was his mistake too, which you can bet he knew right away and was trying to help.   Got him moving didn't he?  Don't confuse pissed off for sulking either.   Better then smiling and saying "well there is is always next game".   Miller is the only reason this team isn't blown to smitherings.   If we kept that pick, I doubt we'd be talking about any of this right now.   JT Miller is both our curse and our saviour, without him i'm pretty sure both EP and QHs would be on other teams already.    They weren't ready.   And Horvat certainly wasn't going to score 99 points and put the team on his back. 

What the heck did EP do when Miller was keeping the team relevant?   Not enough.  

I don't think Miller was nearly as bad as things were blown into.   Nobody seemed to mind watching him name the starting lineup in the bubble.   And personally, i've been waiting a long time to see some sort of passion from this team.  Jovo was probably the last guy to show any like that, maybe Bieksa or Kesler as far as guys with obvious leadership goes.   Why can't we have good things and just appreciate it when we have it?    

37 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Myself I've always preferred even keeled leaders over reactive ones to begin with. But you are right with this market everything he does would be scrutinized 10x. He is a good leader though overall. 

Never said he's a bad leader. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Who cares if they are buddies off the ice.  No one cares whos buddies with who.  You're fans are paying to watch you win hockey games.  I feel like so many fans are distracted by the off ice lovey dovey crap that they dont even care if we win or not.   

I certainly hope there arent any more excuses this year with this core.  We go into every year with the same optimism and the core just lets the fanbase that is actually sick of losing down. 

Nodding or smiling at your bud in a pregame warm up is one thing ,no one can accuse either tkachuk or Hughes of lacking compete when the puck actually drops. Further to the point these little incidents aren’t contributing to losing as much as the lousy preseason and some unfortunate injury’s early on last year. If it wasn’t for those 2 things the late surge in wins late last season  it would have put them in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Wait.

Quinn once smiled at a friend on the ice?

Strip him! bastard. Useless...how could we make such a mistake...we'll never win!

didnt just smile.  his team was literally in a battle with the other team, and he was playing pattycake with Tkachuk like nothing was happening.  

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

9 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

didnt just smile.  his team was literally in a battle with the other team, and he was playing pattycake with Tkachuk like nothing was happening.  

you should go punch your best friend in the face over a children's game and see how it goes. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

THOU HAST HEARD WHAT HAS BEEN CHIRPED, THOU SHALL LOVE THY TEAMMATE AND HATE THY FLAMES. BUT QUINN SAY TO YOU, LOVE YOUR TEAMMATES, LOVE THY FLAMES, AND SCORE MAD SNIPES FOR THOSE WHO PERSECUTE YOU

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

You got me at pattycake.  It's exactly what they were doing but much older. 

45 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Vedder know I tease you about Brock, and that your criticism is legit too.   But this is a very honest, correct reaction to the picture.   And the team.   Wonder how Tochett would react to something like that taken when he was playing?   Crunch it up into a puck, and score on Broduer. 

25 minutes ago, tas said:

you should go punch your best friend in the face over a children's game and see how it goes. 

I've punched my best friends in the face for less.    And of had the same back.  This isn't a children's game, it's a sport.  And when I'm playing a sport, that's part of it.   Boxing, martial arts it's just fine.  Hockey isn't badminton or golf.   

• Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I've punched my best friends in the face for less.    And of had the same back.  This isn't a children's game, it's a sport.  And when I'm playing a sport, that's part of it.   Boxing, martial arts it's just fine.  Hockey isn't badminton or golf.   

stick and ball sports are children's games and as a society we shouldn't be encouraging mindless meatheadism. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tas said:

stick and ball sports are children's games and as a society we shouldn't be encouraging mindless meatheadism. 

Mathew and Brady beat the crap out of each other all the time.   The world you're growing up in, is not the same as competitive sports.   Do you think the Hughes brothers never had a go? 

4 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Hmmm, good points. OK, I accept that.

I'm trying hard to get over the Miller not being captain...just felt like the right fit for a team trying to shed the easy to play against image.

The Canucks wanted the poster boy. Image is important.  Hughes is a lot easier to market as captain than Miller. Petey would have been good image wise as well but he didn’t want the captaincy. 

Hughes will be a good captain and I think he may attract free agents to come here. Aquilini is trying to wipe the stain off this team. Slowly he is accomplishing that. Rutherford, Allvin, Tocchet, Foote and Gonchar all have the cups. Hughes is now the captain and poster boy of the team. He’s clean cut and speaks well. Just what they want in a captain. 

They even are doing all the necessary renovations at Rogers Arena. That new scoreboard along with brand new seats will help the viewing experience and get more fans in the rink.

The only thing left now is the team needs to perform on the ice.  We really need to make the playoffs this year and go from there. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

The biggest task Hughes and the leadership group have is to bring the room back together. We all heard the rumours under Bo that the room was divided and “clique-y”.

Good teams have a close knit group of players that bond on and off the ice. Everyone has to feel included and that they are an important part of the team. It’s up to him to organize team dinners and functions. That’s how you build a winning team off the ice.

If there’s one thing Henrik can tell him it’s that. Apparently the Sedins were very good at making sure every guy on the team was included, especially the young guys. You can’t get the buy in you need if certain guys feel like outsiders on their team. You need all 23 guys pulling together on the rope to win.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The biggest task Hughes and the leadership group have is to bring the room back together. We all heard the rumours under Bo that the room was divided and “clique-y”.

Good teams have a close knit group of players that bond on and off the ice. Everyone has to feel included and that they are an important part of the team. It’s up to him to organize team dinners and functions. That’s how you build a winning team off the ice.

If there’s one thing Henrik can tell him it’s that. Apparently the Sedins were very good at making sure every guy on the team was included, especially the young guys. You can’t get the buy in you need if certain guys feel like outsiders on their team. You need all 23 guys pulling together on the rope to win.

Yes..."he mixes with everybody".

• Vintage 1