The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] Hughes’ partner 23/24 season

Rate this topic

Ted Lasso

Hughes’ partner - 23/24 season  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to see get a long look as Hughes’ partner?

2. 2. Who do you EXPECT to get a long look with Hughes this season?

3. 3. What type of player should we acquire to play with Quinn?

• Elite shutdown (eg. Pesce)
    • Aging shutdown (eg. Tanev)
    • Younger project (eg. Peeke)
    • Unproven prospect (eg. Korczak)
    • Ethan Bear
    • None
  4. 4. What type of player do you EXPECT us to acquire to play with Quinn?

• Elite shutdown (eg. Pesce)
    • Aging shutdown (eg. Tanev)
    • Younger project (eg. Peeke)
    • Unproven prospect (eg. Korczak)
    • Ethan Bear
    • None

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/12/2023 at 02:00 AM

4 hours ago, Ted Lasso said:

Depends on the player…think they’d have to have a better pedigree or NHL experience than our current players to take them. 

RHD are widely regarded as the toughest position to fill (following C if you're talking about signing or picking them up).  Juulsen for instance does have 1st round pedigree from 2015 and played an average of 15 minutes, with a high of 19 minutes.  That said it'd be great if we could find that diamond in the rough.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

RHD are widely regarded as the toughest position to fill (following C if you're talking about signing or picking them up).  Juulsen for instance does have 1st round pedigree from 2015 and played an average of 15 minutes, with a high of 19 minutes.  That said it'd be great if we could find that diamond in the rough.

All good points, and I picked Juulsen for who I wanted to get a long look with Quinn FWIW.

Wouldn't mind trading for a player like Korczak to increase our chances at finding an inexpensive, young partner for Hughes.  Agree it’s less likely via waivers, but players like Bahl took a big step last year, and it’s possible we could get lucky and find the next one.

Edited by Ted Lasso
  • Cheers 2

I believe a Hronek / Hughes pair would be dynamite! Not sure it leaves enough strength in moving the puck behind on depth pairs. Cole could be interchanged sometimes, when size could be a key match up.

I really, really hope we don't try to acquire an elite defensive D by trade!  Even an aging defensive D.  I just don't see us close enough to be blathering away assets as free gifts. The time to spend assets on nice things is when we have so many, its possible without damage.  Or are one step from a cup. 

I don't mind a decent to elite defensive D UFA next summer; when Pearson & Myers are off the books.

Related we also need to trade a winger.  One, even two of Boeser, Garland or Beauvillier.  Ideally Beauvillier?  In a pinch Mikheyev.

A  ) To move cap

B  ) To make space for Podz & Hogz.

We need Hoglander & Podkolzin, in our line up!  Increased speed, agility and size in Podkolzin's case. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

Pretty sure the pairings they will go with are:

QHs Hronek

Soucy Cole (Cole the vet to stabilize the extra minutes)

Irwin Myers 

Wallinder is going to be groomed for QHs partner.   Hronek will get a good shot at proving he's a good fit. 

If things don't work out:

QHs Cole 

Soucy Hronek 

Irwin Myers 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

15 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

We tend to throw someone in to play over their head and let Q carry them. 
Imagine if we threw a really good d who complements Q. 
Hronek has a great shot and is RHD. Q is an amazing passer. Hronek likes to lug the puck out of the zone, Q does everything and anything to get the puck out at elite level.  Hronek is the closest in talent and compliments Q the best. Only issue is they both lack size but lack of size doesn’t hold Toews and Makar back.  Put the 2 best D together especially since Hronek is our only true RD other than Myers.   We can have a Soucy Cole second pair for a hard shutdown, force everything to the outside pairing that still moves the puck fairly well. 

This is what they likely will try first.   Soucy is the guy they will use Cole to insulate and are hoping will run with the chance as a top four.   

If they find QHs and Hronek get owned in their own end, then I see them splitting it up, putting Cole (Schenn 2.0) on his line and moving Hronek down to play with Soucy.   Personally feel they will lean heavily on the top pairing.   QHs finishes the season with 26 plus minutes a game.  Hronek 24ish. 

Soucy and Cole  20-21.

Irwin Myers ... 15-18 Myers with the extra minutes because when he's needed will also move up and down a little. 

Also see Brisbois and Wolanin getting games in the Irwin spot.   But to start, it's Irwin's to lose. 

Edited by IBatch

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I believe a Hronek / Hughes pair would be dynamite! Not sure it leaves enough strength in moving the puck behind on depth pairs. Cole could be interchanged sometimes, when size could be a key match up.

I really, really hope we don't try to acquire an elite defensive D by trade!  Even an aging defensive D.  I just don't see us close enough to be blathering away assets as free gifts. The time to spend assets on nice things is when we have so many, its possible without damage.  Or are one step from a cup. 

I don't mind a decent to elite defensive D UFA next summer; when Pearson & Myers are off the books.

Related we also need to trade a winger.  One, even two of Boeser, Garland or Beauvillier.  Ideally Beauvillier?  In a pinch Mikheyev.

A  ) To move cap

We need Hoglander & Podkolzin, in our line up!  Increased speed, agility and size in Podkolzin's case. 

I do agree they likely start with QHs and Hronek.   Not sure it will work, but they will give it a go. 

Pearson back means Hogs is waived.  Not the end of the world.   Just don't see a spot for him.   Unless he has a crazy pre-season.   Doesn't mean he's getting picked up either.   It's also likely Podz starts the season in the AHL.   Although his game, would work on the fourth line.   Until we move a winger, or someone is injured, those guys likely won't be on the team, both of them anyways.   Unless we do something radical like waiving Garland.  No way Tochett approves that.  Why would he?   Same with Beau.   Same with Brock.   Even Studnicka, he's our only RHC.   Bluegar and Suter are locks.   Joshua is likely safe too.  Pearson for sure is safe, he gives Tochett the option to create a 3rd shutdown line with Suter and Mikheyev.   Or add him to the top six.   There is no way Hogs is going to bump Pearson.   And Podz doesn't need waivers. 

Edited by IBatch

A  ) To move cap

Agree we need Hogs and Podz in the line up for reasons you mentioned + cap hit...

But firstly we need them to prove themselves. 
Places shouldn't just be handed out but earned. 
Still wish Jake had been made to earn his place in the line up. Maybe that would have changed his attitude, where everything comes easy...

A  ) To move cap

Allvin needs to find a GM with a garden that needs a gnome and will pay to take ours. 
He also needs to find a GM with a zoo! 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Lol what you described is essentially Juulsen (I don't think Myers and Hughes are a quality fit).  Unless teams like LA or CBJ have RD without waiver exemption (e.g. if they happen to not want Peeke anymore) then maybe they would move someone who would be an improvement on a #6?  But even then I'd say don't keep your hopes up, either they don't pan out or you're just looking for your run of the mill right-handed muscle that can move some and not be a defensive liability but it's probably gonna be slim pickings (highly doubt any well respected prospect will slip through another organization's cracks without them trading them first).  Props to Allvin and the crew if they have such a fine tooth comb to spot a value flyer.

Yeah I get it but why wouldn't you keep your eyes open and look for an upgrade if an opportunity presents itself? Otherwise just go with what we have. I think there are a number of guys that could fit on the team better than the rubbish Benning collected in his tenure. We have at least one starting position that is completely up for grabs.

In my mind that's what teams should be doing every year. Looking to upgrade around the fringes if possible. With such a crap group of defenceman it's something we should have done in the past but JB was locked in to his garbage collection. 

• Huggy Bear 1

The number 1 need for this team is finding a top 4 d-man to be a long term partner for hughes

Pesce is the guy we all hope for and I don’t know if CAR has the money to keep him around but he is American and may not be so keen on paying those Vancouver/Canadian taxes 

hughes-pesce

soucy-hronek

hirose-cole

brisebois-irwin

now that’s a blueline that can compete against any team in the show 

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

But firstly we need them Hoglander / Podkolzin to prove themselves. 

I don't disagree, in fact i completely agree!

Its just my opinion they are NHL ready, capable & will. But also need the right roles / system. Which was lost in Bruce's game plan. Or lack thereof? At least with his personnel. He let too many guys play a loose, creative game. As soon as opposing coaches caught on; they focussed match ups to create errors from guys not up to it? Among the reasons he was fired.  I sense Tochet will have a better idea how to deploy them.  

All NHL players are good athletes.  Hoglander & Podkolzin are more Elite than most in terms of fitness, training, agility, power. Ability to play with energy. Do hold credible hockey skills. The best of which might be to go in to a corner, or on the forecheck & come out with the puck? Based on brute athletic ability. Arguably, not as high on puck smarts? Bruce emphasized creativity more than structure. Coming out of the corner, team mates were not always in set positions or plays. And they made more mistakes trying to go wide, or beat a guy one on one? Than, say, Miller or Petey. Tochet will always have a player in position, a structured cycle game for them to make a play to... 

Reign creativity, make simpler North / South plays, chip plays, get in deep, win the puck & lock it in. Start that cycle, hold off and beat guys physically. For most pairs and lines. Still leaving a license? More creative rope for key pairs & line combinations of Hughes, Kuzmenko, Petey, the power play. 

New coaching should help Hoglander & Podkolzin. Also Garland, Mikheyev who compete their asses off. Beauvillier, just my opinion, might be a casualty? Not as much a puck winner. Not quite productive enough. When gifted / given time with our elite guys, Barzal on the Island. Boeser will either have to keep up with the big guns & their puck smarts, or also win pucks. He might, perhaps both? He did when healthy & had young legs. My guys will kill it with Rick behind the bench!

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Willander.   My bad. 

If that is the plan, we need a short term solution for 2 seasons. Seems like vets (Schenn/Cole) and prospects (Juulsen) are the low cost solutions. 

Pesce could fit the timeline also, sliding to the 2nd pair as he declines around 32/33, and Willander is ready

Forget about Pesce.

He would cost Willander plus, probably another 1st on the trade market & a 3rd piece. A cost controlled 6'3'' 210lb D capable of top pair minutes & matchups? Is the #1 trade chip in the market as soon as he actually becomes available. It makes zero sense to trade for him in our position.

Plus Carolina lost out on the Karlsson sweepstakes. Have no need to clear cap. Plus Plus they are the #1 power ranking rated team by some sources. Trading Pesce is counter productive in terms of them actually winning a cup after not putting enough in the last few years. 

I too, would love Pesce!

There is only one way.  We have as highly positive a year as possible. Hughes has 80 points, Kuzmenko 90, Petey 115. We outplay expectations.

We are seen as a positive destination, and he signs next UFA in the range, perhaps above what other defensive D signed for.  Ryan Graves, a 6'3'' lefty signed for 6 x $4.5M in Pitt to play with Crosby, Letang, the likelihood of Karlsson.  Being even better, and an in demand righty, that might be $6.5M.

Having added only Soucy & Cole, those chances are seen as modest by pundits? In reality we also added Hronek, and a renewed Demko. Demko being big, Hronek a solid chip. As long as Myers is off our PK? I think we're a chance to surprise!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1