The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 Young Stars Classic Thread

-Vintage Canuck-

Impressed with? Hard to think of a guy that didn’t impress, but special cases? McWard, McDonough, Sasson, Raty ( in the last two periods), Johansson. Tolopilo pretty much only got half a period of work. Guy that surprised me the most was Mynio - scarcely a wrong move all game. I have to say the entire Canucks D was impressive. We didn’t even play Kudryavtsev, who was our best D last year.

• Cheers 1

I think we've got something in Bruskewitz and Mynio, they looked very calm and poised with the puck, it will be fun to watch them develop.

Hirose and McWard looked NHL ready. I see them both competing for a spot on the opening lineup. 

I said before the game that I expect Mcdonough to dominate and he did. he looked so confident out there and looked kinda faster than last season.

Tolopilo looks like another Ian Clark gem. 

Klim/Raty/Bains could play some games in the NHL this season as call ups, I'm pleased with their development. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Trebreh said:

I think we've got something in Bruskewitz and Mynio, they looked very calm and poised with the puck, it will be fun to watch them develop.

Hirose and McWard looked NHL ready. I see them both competing for a spot on the opening lineup. 

I said before the game that I expect Mcdonough to dominate and he did. he looked so confident out there and looked kinda faster than last season.

Tolopilo looks like another Ian Clark gem. 

Klim/Raty/Bains could play some games in the NHL this season as call ups, I'm pleased with their development. 

Did the Cowpies have even one guy as good as our tenth best player? Their prospects are Benning bad. 

2 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Dominant performance by the Canucks. Have to give credit to the JR/Alvin organization. They inherited one of the weakest prospect pipelines in the NHL and did not even have a full set of draft picks and somehow have built up a solid pipeline with quite a few guys who have the potential to be useful NHL players.

The Canucks have added in guys like Bains, McWard, Hirose, Tolopilo, Bloom and others without needing to draft them.   

And let's keep in mind that 4 of the top 5 prospects are not even here (Willander, Lekker, Silovs, and DPetey).

And, developmentally, the Canucks made a lot of progress last year with guys they inherited who were underpeforming, like Woo and Klim. 

JR's approach in Van reminds me of what he did in Pittsburgh -- build a lot of good value - low-cost depth around a few elite players.

OK, maybe I am overracting to the first game of a young stars tournament but this is a great start to the season.  

No, I think your thesis is right. I think maybe JB was responsible for a couple of these guys: Zlodeyev and Plasek? I really liked Zlodeyev’s game tonight.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Our owner should write a letter of apology to the fans for v hiring and keeping Benning for those eight years. It’s nice to have smart (Gillis the great like) management again. 

We could get him back to find Jurassic age free agents for us and give him full access to write contracts.

20 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Impressed with? Hard to think of a guy that didn’t impress, but special cases? McWard, McDonough, Sasson, Raty ( in the last two periods), Johansson. Tolopilo pretty much only got half a period of work. Guy that surprised me the most was Mynio - scarcely a wrong move all game. I have to say the entire Canucks D was impressive. We didn’t even play Kudryavtsev, who was our best D in last year’s tourney.