The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Olli Juolevi with Coyotes

On 9/13/2023 at 9:43 PM, wildcam said:

All fairness Juolevi was ranked # 5 --

It was a draft the Canucks were suppose draft #3 am I correct? Canucks moved back to #5?

I think Dubois would of been there guy but Columbus picked him #3..

I was honestly hoping for Chychrun went #16 ...

So many great players in 2016 draft..

Umm.   Was he though?  Where  did ISS and THN rank him.   And where was he ranked pre and post WJ's?   OJ was seen as the defenseman that was most likely to make the NHL, with the highest floor, but was not even close when it came to upside.   Chychrun a year before his draft year, was considered as a number one contender.   Injuries lowered his draft slot.    Agree Dubois was our guy, JB basically said his name a half dozen times pre-draft.   HE was supposed to go at 5.   PLD moved up to 3, and bumped MT who was supposed to go 2-3.     OJ was ranked 9-11 by TN /ISS, considered a safe but not sexy or flashy pick in his write-ups.   Wasn't at the same level as the guys who were supposed to go at the top of the draft. 

It was for sure a surprise pick, given a slam dunk fell on our lap.     Didn't even consider MT, because he wasn't supposed to be available.    

OJ posted mediocre offense in a loaded London team.   Bouchard out performed him draft plus one.    Then he went to Finland.     Only Laine had a decent career so far out of those WJ winners.    It should be a case study, as to why not to weigh one tournament and not also consider the body of work.   Sergachev, Chychrun and OJ.   Of the 3 whom plays the right side?    McAvoy wasn't ranked high enough to consider. 

We basically let CAL pick a second overall, that fell on our lap.    MT's stock was always high, top 2-4, and it went way way up, during their memorial

cup run.   What was it again?  A goal a game pace.   

There is no way to defend the pick.   We definitely didn't go BPA.   It was an organizational need pick, and he blew that too.  All 3 were more or less interchangable depending what lists you look at.   Didn't pick the guy with the most upside, or the man sized ready to play right away guy either. 

Only thing is, MT would have made the roster, and picked higher EPs draft.   And if we were ahead of NYR, we would have missed out.   QHs ... on him too.   Things worked out ok. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Umm.   Was he though?  Where  did ISS and THN rank him.   And where was he ranked pre and post WJ's?   OJ was seen as the defenseman that was most likely to make the NHL, with the highest floor, but was not even close when it came to upside.   Chychrun a year before his draft year, was considered as a number one contender.   Injuries lowered his draft slot.    Agree Dubois was our guy, JB basically said his name a half dozen times pre-draft.   HE was supposed to go at 5.   PLD moved up to 3, and bumped MT who was supposed to go 2-3.     OJ was ranked 9-11 by TN /ISS, considered a safe but not sexy or flashy pick in his write-ups.   Wasn't at the same level as the guys who were supposed to go at the top of the draft. 

It was for sure a surprise pick, given a slam dunk fell on our lap.     Didn't even consider MT, because he wasn't supposed to be available.    

OJ posted mediocre offense in a loaded London team.   Bouchard out performed him draft plus one.    Then he went to Finland.     Only Laine had a decent career so far out of those WJ winners.    It should be a case study, as to why not to weigh one tournament and not also consider the body of work.   Sergachev, Chychrun and OJ.   Of the 3 whom plays the right side?    McAvoy wasn't ranked high enough to consider. 

We basically let CAL pick a second overall, that fell on our lap.    MT's stock was always high, top 2-4, and it went way way up, during their memorial

cup run.   What was it again?  A goal a game pace.   

There is no way to defend the pick.   We definitely didn't go BPA.   It was an organizational need pick, and he blew that too.  All 3 were more or less interchangable depending what lists you look at.   Didn't pick the guy with the most upside, or the man sized ready to play right away guy either. 

Only thing is, MT would have made the roster, and picked higher EPs draft.   And if we were ahead of NYR, we would have missed out.   QHs ... on him too.   Things worked out ok. 

if we gotten MT we might moved up the standing and won the lottery or we might have been just as bad.. i mean NJ Dallas and philly all leap frog us.. so maybe we won't get EP.. but ends up with hirschier Heiskanen or even Makar.. or maybe we are dumb enough and took patrick.. the 4, 5th and 8th worse team won the lottery that year.. so we mighta landed 1 of the 2 norris caliber defenceman instead of EP.. and honestly i doubt MT would make a difference in the standing.. the overall team roster was pretty bad.. he might get us an extra win or 2 which would slide us into the 4-8 spot for a chance at the top 3 pick instead haha

• There it is 1

10 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

if we gotten MT we might moved up the standing and won the lottery or we might have been just as bad.. i mean NJ Dallas and philly all leap frog us.. so maybe we won't get EP.. but ends up with hirschier Heiskanen or even Makar.. or maybe we are dumb enough and took patrick.. the 4, 5th and 8th worse team won the lottery that year.. so we mighta landed 1 of the 2 norris caliber defenceman instead of EP.. and honestly i doubt MT would make a difference in the standing.. the overall team roster was pretty bad.. he might get us an extra win or 2 which would slide us into the 4-8 spot for a chance at the top 3 pick instead haha

This is it exactly. With the top pick a club has to choose BPA and it was clear to everyone at the draft and watching on TV that MT was BPA when we picked. Benning did a Benning and it cost us big. We’ve all read the stories about Benning trying to overrule the scouts at the Petey draft too (he preferred Glass) and linden had to step in. 
Drafting OJ was a crippling mistake to our franchise. 

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This is it exactly. With the top pick a club has to choose BPA and it was clear to everyone at the draft and watching on TV that MT was BPA when we picked. Benning did a Benning and it cost us big. We’ve all read the stories about Benning trying to overrule the scouts at the Petey draft too (he preferred Glass) and linden had to step in. 
Drafting OJ was a crippling mistake to our franchise. 

busting on OJ virtanen giving up and trading away mccann for gudbranson may very well have doomed the canucks witht he current core.. ive always bitched about his drafting since the virtanen pick i hated it.. i always hated players that were dominating the juniors because of their size coz it doesn't really tell the story.. he's bigger and faster than others hence he's dominating and looks good.. but when everyone in the nhl is big and fast.. he's no longer dominating like he was.. and if he hit on 1 or 2 2nd rounders in 7-8 years worth of drafting.. maybe it won't look so bad.. but reality is he didn't.. even the podkolzin pick is starting to not look that great with caulfield boldy newhook all still available. boldy was my pick at 10 he had top line talent written all over him and would have been a great winger for EP. kuz and boldy as ur 2 wingers on the top 2 line with EP and miller centering 1 each is pretty nasty in terms of offence. Podkolzin never striked me as a top 2 line talent and i think of him as a 3rd line hard nose checking grinder that have some offence.

Edited by wai_lai416
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Kid scored 48 points right after the draft playing 14 minutes a night, that's what Miller did in TB with first unit PP time before we traded for him.   JV never came close to that.    Like I said, maybe, maybe not as far as drafting EP.   But for sure we wouldn't have QHs.    Right now, he's considered one of the best players in the league (THN ranked him 7, EP at 24, any position).   Not many kids can go right into the NHL and make an impact, he would have passed Daniel Sedin as the best LW.   MT Horvat Brock, would have been so much better than what we had.   Have no doubts we would have moved up the standings.   Could be even worse, we might still have JB a running the show. 

Only the Rangers were interested in EP.   Would we have moved up that far?  Maybe.   For sure the following draft, we'd likely be drafting Bouchard instead.   Maybe Dobson or another small winger who knows.  And who knows if MT wouldn't do the same thing with us and bolt.    We for sure can't say with any sort of certainty, that we'd have both EP and QHs and MT right now.    However, if we'd drafted Chychrun or Sergei instead, yes much better chance.   They both took time to get there. 

Edited by IBatch

11 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Kid scored 48 points right after the draft playing 14 minutes a night, that's what Miller did in TB with first unit PP time before we traded for him.   JV never came close to that.    Like I said, maybe, maybe not as far as drafting EP.   But for sure we wouldn't have QHs.    Right now, he's considered one of the best players in the league (THN ranked him 7, EP at 24, any position).   Not many kids can go right into the NHL and make an impact, he would have passed Daniel Sedin as the best LW.   MT Horvat Brock, would have been so much better than what we had.   Have no doubts we would have moved up the standings.   Could be even worse, we might still have JB a running the show. 

Only the Rangers were interested in EP.   Would we have moved up that far?  Maybe.   For sure the following draft, we'd likely be drafting Bouchard instead.   Maybe Dobson or another small winger who knows.  And who knows if MT wouldn't do the same thing with us and bolt.    We for sure can't say with any sort of certainty, that we'd have both EP and QHs and MT right now.    However, if we'd drafted Chychrun or Sergei instead, yes much better chance.   They both took time to get there. 

again MT might have moved us up the standings instead of finishing 2nd worse to maybe 4th-8th worse.. and based on that year that means we had a chance of winning the lottery if they finished 4th 5th or 8th. MT is good but 1 player ain't gonna turn this team from 2nd worst to 10+ this team up and down the lineup was still bad along with the aging twins.. MT was also playing a lot with gaudreau and monahan during that 1st season along with dougie hamilton.. those players are country miles better than horvat boeser and twilight year sedins. horvat boeser sedins are all super slow and i don't think compliments tkachuks game.. so i doubt he's scoring 48 points with the canucks. 

i mean sure if we have MT we might not have QH or heck EP.. but it could also mean we have MT and heiskanen or makar or whomever.. we wouldn't know.. but we'd definitely be drafting high in the EP and QH draft regardless if we have MT or not.. coz the team benning iced is bad

• 2 weeks later...

I recall the amount of heat I took when I called out OJ for lying down on the ice.  I was routing for the kid and understood he had COVID, but that was the second thing I didn't like about him.  The first thing......he did an interview after the draft telling the media that he had the ability to make the NHL right out of the draft.  I like confidence but that just showed a complete lack of self awareness and some entitlement.  I can tolerate that with a hard worker but then he hit the ice like he'd been paralyzed.