The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Olli Juolevi with Coyotes

1 hour ago, Citizen Erased said:

I thought he had retired.

He doesn't retire until first day at camp. Then he passes out on the ice....

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Such a disappointment... I think it's more disappointing how Juolevi turned out than how Virtanen did.

Not to me. Juolevi just wasn't ready to begin an NHL journey. Ultimately he wasn't skilled enough, and clearly was not in good enough shape. The only extra disappointment here is that I was happy we drafted a blue chip defenseman because we really needed that boost from the back end and it never came.

Virtanen, on the other hand, HAD the tools; he was always on the cusp of breaking out. Yes, he also came to camp out of shape but if he just committed himself, he would have been fine and would have had an NHL career. Instead, he f'd around and found out. To me, that's far more disappointing to see a guy throw his career away than a guy who was destined never to have one in the first place.

Either way, those are two *major* flubs which made it that much harder to become a competitive team again. If we made difference choices in a parallel universe, we could have had:

Kuz Pettersson Mik

Fiala Miller Boeser

Beauvillier Suter Podz Garland

Joshua Blueger Podz

Hogs, DiGiuseppe

Hughes McAvoy
Cole Hronek

Soucy Myers

Wolanin, Hirose

Cest le vie

Edited by kloubek

23 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Not to me. Juolevi just wasn't ready to begin an NHL journey. Ultimately he wasn't skilled enough, and clearly was not in good enough shape. The only extra disappointment here is that I was happy we drafted a blue chip defenseman because we really needed that boost from the back end and it never came.

Virtanen, on the other hand, HAD the tools; he was always on the cusp of breaking out. Yes, he also came to camp out of shape but if he just committed himself, he would have been fine and would have had an NHL career. Instead, he f'd around and found out. To me, that's far more disappointing to see a guy throw his career away than a guy who was destined never to have one in the first place.

Either way, those are two *major* flubs which made it that much harder to become a competitive team again. If we made difference choices in a parallel universe, we could have had:

Kuz Pettersson Mik

Fiala Miller Boeser

Joshua Blueger Podz

Hogs, DiGiuseppe

Hughes McAvoy
Cole Hronek

Soucy Myers

Wolanin, Hirose

Cest le vie

I was never very high on Virtanen, that might be why I feel more disappointed with Juolevi.

When I look at Virtanen with the Hitmen, I saw a player that was physically more mature than his peers, and so that made a difference in him producing in the WHL.  But when you actually look at his production, he had that 1 good season of 45 goals in 71 games, and a PPG.  The other seasons he was at most a 30 goal scorer ... in the WHL.  Not sure why people expected him to score 30+ goals in the NHL.  I figured 20 to 25 goals would be his absolute ceiling, but he didn't even reach those numbers.

With Juolevi, I saw a #1 defenceman that anchored the blueline for the Knights and the Finland teams.  He had all the tools to be that bonafide #1 anchor defenceman.  He simply couldn't translate it to the NHL (injuries had a lot to do with it).  I felt Juolevi's ceiling was much higher than Virtanen.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • elephant 1

30 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Kuz Pettersson Mik

Fiala Miller Boeser

Joshua Blueger Podz

Hogs, DiGiuseppe

Hughes McAvoy
Cole Hronek

Soucy Myers

Wolanin, Hirose

Cest le vie

Without going down the rabbit hole that is the butterfly effect, wouldn't that roster be about $15m over the cap?

But yeah Virtanen >>>>>>>>>>> Juolevi in terms of disappointment on and off the ice.

Edited by Biff Tannen
(Also I worry that third line is going to draw a lot of Too Many Men on the Ice penalties)

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I was never very high on Virtanen, that might be why I feel more disappointed with Juolevi.

When I look at Virtanen with the Hitmen, I saw a player that was physically more mature than his peers, and so that made a difference in him producing in the WHL.  But when you actually look at his production, he had that 1 good season of 45 goals in 71 games, and a PPG.  The other seasons he was at most a 30 goal scorer ... in the WHL.  Not sure why people expected him to score 30+ goals in the NHL.  I figured 20 to 25 goals would be his absolute ceiling, but he didn't even reach those numbers.

With Juolevi, I saw a #1 defenceman that anchored the blueline for the Knights and the Finland teams.  He had all the tools to be that bonafide #1 anchor defenceman.  He simply couldn't translate it to the NHL (injuries had a lot to do with it).  I felt Juolevi's ceiling was much higher than Virtanen.

That's why I'm not keen on dumping on him, some of how things went was simply beyond his control, injuries stalled his development 

Canuck luck at work, could have happened if we'd drafted anyone else 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's why I'm not keen on dumping on him, some of how things went was simply beyond his control, injuries stalled his development 

Canuck luck at work, could have happened if we'd drafted anyone else 

I HATED the pick at the time - I thought Tkachuk was going 3rd, and I would have been ok with Dubois but I had Sergachev and Chychrun as the two guys I really wanted. The clips and reports I read/saw on Juolevi didn’t get me too excited and he seemed like a guy who got way overrated from the WJC who had a powerhouse team and also he had some insane talent in London. That said I expected him to at least be an average player. Sergachev and Chychrun both seemed to have far higher ceilings, unique elements, and had their stocks actually drop because of the WJC which IMO gets waaaaay too much credit. To me I saw Juolevi as a guy that would have gone late 1st round on average teams. 

Virtanen I pegged as a physical 15 type, like a Raffi Torres. I didn’t think his upside was very high. But we still had a hangover from the Bruins series and there was a hate toward the Mason Raymond type players. I thought a 15 goal Virtanen would be a lot more popular in Vancouver than a 50 point Ehlers or Nylander. That said Ehlers was BPA, Nylander had top line center potential, and as big power forward types go I thought Ritchie had much more upside. He was a bust as well though. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Without going down the rabbit hole that is the butterfly effect, wouldn't that roster be about $15m over the cap?

Well, yes, of course. But that's always the way the NHL goes. If you are a team fortunate enough to keep drafting legit players, eventually you're going to have to move on from them due to cap space, but they end up getting replaced with solid picks to keep the joy going. So no, we wouldn't ACTUALLY have that lineup. But if we had to trade, you'd hope they'd trade for a younger asset or draft pick who would (over the course of development) turn into a solid player which could be played on an ELC for 3 years. I only added those names as an example of what kind of assets we could have amassed if the right picks were made.

50 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I also considered the fact he was physically more developed, but I don't think that actually turned out to be a problem for him. Even in the NHL he WAS still quite strong, speedy, and could throw a hit... but all only when he wanted to. Which is to say, rarely. He lacked a bit of skill and a LOT of hockey IQ required to hold down a key role, but I thought a 2nd line role was at least possible, and at WORST, I thought he'd be able to hold down a 3rd line role as a guy who doesn't score a lot, but is a bitch to play against. He became neither.

In the end, I think it's a good example that 110% effort and dedication are required when reaching this level... regardless of one's toolbox. And coincidentally why as much as my 11 year old son has some skill and talks about the day he's an NHL player, I know deep down he doesn't have the personality and mindset to make that a possibility...

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Agreed 100%. Juolevi wasnt a bad pick. no way we could have seen the injuries coming. Feel bad for the guy honestly. 

• Cheers 1