The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

27 minutes ago, Dral said:

If he has 3 more years left why would he be a healthy scratch for 4? I think my prediction is much more realistic then yours

Burrows  should only have 4 more games as a canuck in his career

4th line plugs are not needed at his age or contract

2 hours ago, Kurtenbach said:

I have been a fan of Burrows for a long time.  However, we all know it is time for him to move on.  Hopefully it happens for our sake and his.

Being a fan is not mutually exclusive  of the belief that his time on the team is done - for both his and the team's sake. 

10 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Burrows  should only have 4 more games as a canuck in his career

4th line plugs are not needed at his age or contract

Wow.....such disrespectful talk for the greatest success story in Canuck history. We need to sign him up for a few more years as an apology.

Edited by clam linguine

Alexandre Burrows Comments on NTC

AlexBurrows3

There was a little back and forth regarding Alex Burrows’ status as a potential trading chip over the course of Saturday’s broadcast. Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reported during the Saturday Headlines segment that Burrows would definitely be willing to waive his No Trade Clause in order to allow Canucks management to facilitate a potential trade if that was the direction that they decided they wanted to go in. However, when he was pressed for details after Saturday night’s game, he denied the claim and told reporters that he had never said he was willing to waive and further confirmed his desire to remain a Canuck. Sunday morning he even told reporters that he the last time he had spoken with his agent, it was to wish him a Merry Christmas. So what’s going on here?

There hasn’t been a lot of talk regarding potential trades with Burrows as the focus, primarily because of his age, the remaining length of his contract, and his overall decline in the last few years from his 20+ goal scoring seasons. He has 7 goals and 9 assists for a total of 16 points in 53 games so far this season, and is a -10 overall. He has one year remaining on a four year, $18 million deal and is owed $3 million in salary next year. He’ll be 35 this April. He remains an effective utility player, as he can slot in almost anywhere on any line if he’s asked to, and he is still one of the team’s top penalty killers, but his age and salary make him fairly unpalatable to other teams.

There’s also the fact that most of the rest of the NHL absolutely hates Alex Burrows – St. Louis, Boston, and Chicago are just a few examples of teams that you have to assume automatically just wouldn’t want him based on history alone.

He’s also, ironically, one of the very few fan favorite players left on this team. Roberto Luongo, Eddie Lack, Kevin Bieksa, and, to a lesser extent now, Ryan Kesler are just a few examples of personalities that were responsible for much of the character that the team enjoyed over the last few years that are now gone. Alex Burrows, the Dragon Slayer, is going to be one of the most difficult players to say goodbye to when the time comes. You almost can’t imagine the Canucks without him, which says a lot about the impact he’s made and what he’s meant to the team over the course of the last ten years.

All that being said, if a team called to express interest and was willing to offer something of value, you have to make the deal. Vancouver isn’t going to be bad enough for long enough to acquire enough new talent through the draft the way that some teams have been in recent years *COUGH*Oilers*COUGH* and free agency isn’t the best way to build a team. The best assets never make it there and the ones that do cost too much. The Canucks simply cannot afford to allow declining assets to either walk away for nothing or sit around until all value is gone. If you can get a draft pick or a prospect of some kind for Alexandre Burrows, you take it – even if it means retaining salary, which it certainly will.

As far as where the truth lies in this situation, you have to consider the source. Elliotte Friedman is not someone who has a reputation of just throwing something out there for the sake of having a conversation and taking up airtime. But, as far as management goes, this is a tricky, delicate situation involving a veteran, fan-favourite player who commands a lot of respect for the career he’s had and the contributions he’s made – not unlike one Dan Hamhuis, who is in a similar situation. Jim Benning and Trevor Linden wouldn’t approach a subject like this without an awareness for the sensitivity necessary for it not to become a circus when the team is already struggling enough as it is. So taking that into account, you may believe he honestly hasn’t been asked about it.

I think if it really came down to it and management approached Burrows and said, “Listen, we have an deal on the table. What do you want to do?” then he would waive. Not because he doesn’t want to stay, but because it would be what was best for the team. And if you could ever only say one thing about Alex Burrows, it’s that he puts the team first. Always. It’s how he made his career in Vancouver in the first place, and it sadly may be how he finishes it.

http://lafayettespost.com/2016/02/15/alexandre-burrows-comments-on-ntc/

• 2 weeks later...

Played the least out of any Canuck this game.

No Hansen, no Vrbata You'd think Burr would get a chance with the Twins. They went with Etem, who looked great, and then he got in a fight and I figured he would get a look on their line, but they went with McCann instead.

At first I thought they were just going to play rookies with them, and then Desjardins put out Dorsett with the twins.

Looks like the Twins and Burr experiment is a thing of the past, which is both a shame and a good thing, but I'd say there's a 50/50 chance at best he'll be back next season. I don't even know what their plans are for him this season with more callups to come.

1 minute ago, Spotted Zebra said:

Played the least out of any Canuck this game.

No Hansen, no Vrbata You'd think Burr would get a chance with the Twins. They went with Etem, who looked great, and then he got in a fight and I figured he would get a look on their line, but they went with McCann instead.

At first I thought they were just going to play rookies with them, and then Desjardins put out Dorsett with the twins.

Looks like the Twins and Burr experiment is a thing of the past, which is both a shame and a good thing, but I'd say there's a 50/50 chance at best he'll be back next season. I don't even know what their plans are for him this season with more callups to come.

End or an era for burrows.  Been  a  very useful player on a club.  I am not a fan of his conduct on the ice all the time but i acknowledge his will to win was strong.

Sorry to see his decline in skill. 

NHL has become a quicker younger game. Not compassion to older players that have lost a step.

See you Alex and thanks for your contributions over the  years.  

Could his contract be bought out or will he be sent down to Utica to start next year. 

• Upvote 1

On October 3, 2008 at 0:34 PM, clutch said:

I know allot of people are going to scorch me for this but I fail to see the reason why nobody questions his ability to play in the nhl. Every game i watch with him in the lineup(all of them) I find myself screaming at the tv because of the stupid stuff the guy does. Personally i'd rather have any of the guys that are fighting for a spot on the team rather than burrows. Everyone's #1 reason they like this guy from what I read on this forum "He's great on the pk. Who cares! Anyone can do this thats fighting for a spot. He can't score and i'm tired of kesler carrying this guy on his back night after night, I'm tired of him losing the puck, falling down everywhere seriously this guy falls down a hundred times a night can't he skate its ridiculous, stupid penalties its endless. "He plays with grit" is another common description tossed out when his name comes up. That ok sure he pisses off guys but fails to do really be able finish that job off by being able to fight because he can't. IMOP he's an embarrassment to the team. Please Gillis let this guy go keep Krog or Pettinger or Brown whoever. let er rip.

I agree, Burrows was a great player for the Canucks but his heart just doesn't seem to be in it this year. He's good on the penalty kill but with only 7 goals and 16 points and a -14 rating this year... thats pretty sad. And at $4.5M a year for one more year he is overpaid and a sure goner next year. 

• Upvote 1