The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

You gave your today for our tomorrow

Starbug

On November 11, 1999 Terry Kelly was in a drug store in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. At 10:55 AM an announcement came over the stores PA asking customers who would still be on the premises at 11:00 AM to give two minutes of silence in respect to the veterans who have sacrificed so much for us.

Terry was impressed with the stores leadership role in adopting the Legions two minutes of silence initiative. He felt that the stores contribution of educating the public to the importance of remembering was commendable.

When eleven oclock arrived on that day, an announcement was again made asking for the two minutes of silence to commence. All customers, with the exception of a man who was accompanied by his young child, showed their respect.

Terrys anger towards the father for trying to engage the stores clerk in conversation and for setting a bad example for his child was channeled into a beautiful piece of work called, A Pittance of Time. Terry later recorded A Pittance of Time and included it on his full-length music CD, The Power of the Dream.

• Upvote 1

I will answer in English, because everyone here should have a chance of understanding what we discuss here... I am not FOR the war in Afghanistan, definitely not. The whole thing was just meant to show the U.S. that we are on their side after 9/11 and has turned into another Vietnam. But: Should we not hope the best for our soldiers that they come back safe and healthy from their dangerous task? I do not wish them failure. (On a side note, I was absolutely against the war in Iraq and went on the street to protest against it. I myself did not go to the Bundeswehr, because I did not want to be involved in violent conflicts and deadly weapons and stuff. But you know, there are other things an army can do for your country. Remember how they helped the people, when some parts of our country were devastated by floods and heavy rainfall?)

I think i agree with this concept. The reason and politics aside, i want peace for the soldiers. And I support them and want them to come home.

My family has a fairly long military history but I singled out the two World War Two veterans in my family that I'm lucky enough to be able to spend most remembrance days with.

Recently a friend of my grandfathers found this photo he took of my grandfather and another friend in Sicily. My grandfather is the one standing . He served with the 2nd battalion through Sicily , Italy ,France ,Belgium and into Germany. He stayed in long enough to serve in Korea as well before leaving the army in 1955 after 16 years service. He was wounded twice and decorated with the Military Medal in 1951 for actions in Korea and was Mentioned in dispatches in 1943.

1740_538.jpg

In 1948 he married a woman who had come over after the end of the war. Interestingly she had a brother who had served in the army from 1937-45. He had seen combat from Poland, France,Belgium,Germany and Russia. He was defending Sword beach and spent almost the entire war as a fallschirmjäger. He amazingly managed to avoid being seriously wounded during the war though he did suffer 4 minor wounds. He was also nearly captured by soviet forces in Berlin after the fall of the city. He succeeded in evading soviet captivity and made his way to American lines were he surrendered and was ultimately released after which he too came to Canada.

He was heavily decorated receiving the Iron cross 2nd class , Iron cross First class ,German cross in gold , tank destruction badge , war merit cross with swords 2nd class, Para badge , general assault badge for 50 actions , close combat clasp in silver , Wound badge in silver , Krim shield and the Russian front 41/42 medal.

In this photo he is on the far right

2005286040140299842rs.jpeg?w=960

Edited by PPCLI
  • Upvote 1

• 11 months later...

2qlvdc1.png

Hopefully we as a species never have to go through something like WW1 or WW2 ever again. No matter how many times I've watched documentaries that depict what it was to be there, to give your all, your life, it still doesn't truly do justice. It's something akin to comprehending the scope of the universe. It's simply not fathomable. 

Edited by Green Building
I was actually looking for a thread like this yesterday, good stuff Poverty on a great 1st post!
  • Upvote 1

2qlvdc1.png

Hopefully we as a species never have to go through something like WW1 or WW2 ever again. No matter how many times I've watched documentaries that depict what it was to be there, to give your all, your life, it still doesn't truly do justice. It's something akin to comprehending the scope of the universe. It's simply not fathomable. 

nicely put.  Argue your strong opinion, and be so very THANKFUL you can.

• Upvote 1

2qlvdc1.png

Thanks. Long time lurker and usually remembered this thread being up around this time. It's got some great pics in the first few pages

I thank all our military men and women for their sacrifice so that others may live free... my great grandfather was a WW1 vet and I have known many who have served and are still serving their countries. Maybe one day the world will know peace over all lands and countries.....it is something to aspire to and work toward.

(This isn't Garth...his recording of this is hard to find unless it's been uploaded in a manner so as to circumvent copyright laws)

Edited by Cerridwen
  • Upvote 3

peables_on_the_beach.thumb.jpg.c3012585d

Pebbles with poppies painted on are seen on the beach of Saint-Aubin-sur-Mer on June 5, 2009 during a ceremony in memory of Canadian troops which landed in 1944 at the Nan Red point on Saint-Aubin beach. Each poppy painted by students represents a soldier killed here during World War II. Preparations are underway for the upcoming D-Day celebrations to mark the 65th anniversary of the June 6, 1944 allied landings in France, then occupied by Nazi Germany. (DANIAU/AFP/Getty Images) (from denverpost.com)

I dont know why but this photo really makes me think of the the forgotten and their ultimate sacrifice for our country,  our families and ultimately our future freedoms to live, love and express in peace.

Edited by Mr.DirtyDangles
  • Upvote 1