The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

Pretty hollow episode.

Almost no consequences for the major characters when they were in positions where they should have been killed. I would say the main difference between the show before and after they passed the book was just that - lack of consequences.

My God that ending was disappointing. Not at all satisfying after 8 seasons of build-up.

Where they hell does Arya even jump from? The Night King was surrounded by like 10 White Walkers and they did nothing. Those things are supposed to be these supremely powerful creatures. It's like they did it for cheap shock value.

What did Bran even do to help? Again, it seemed like he was built up to be something bigger? I mean the Night King risked everything to kill him after waiting thousands of years.

4 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I think so. Jorah mentioned that he and Lyanna were the last of their line the episode before. I'd imagine a new family becomes the lords of Bear Island or it gets absorbed by another house. 

Speaking of other houses, I'm interested to see what they decide to do about Robett Glover, now that they've beaten the Army of the Dead without the help of Deepwood Motte.

If I'm Dany/Jon, that's another holdfast with a new ruling family.

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what, like multiple episodes of 1000s of dead guys wasn't quite enough :P 

Man the budget decisions on this show must have been something... do we spend $1 million more on dead dudes, or on dragon scenes? 

I would have liked to see more of Ghost, TBH. The last thing I remember seeing was him running along beside Jorah....

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

thought the first half of the episode was really great and tense. continued to lose me as it went. too many contrived plot devices saving the right people at the right time, too much stuff that just felt cheap and empty - works sometimes, but after a while i find it tiring

does this ep confirm that the night king was a targaryan, then? with the fire thing

Agree with first part.

I don't think the Night King is related to the Targs. I think parts of the lore suggest he might have actually been a Stark. But the fire resistance is probably because he and the White Walkers are so cold that the fire can't do anything. 

6 minutes ago, Beluga Whale said:

Pretty hollow episode.

Almost no consequences for the major characters when they were in positions where they should have been killed. I would say the main difference between the show before and after they passed the book was just that - lack of consequences.

My God that ending was disappointing. Not at all satisfying after 8 seasons of build-up.

Where they hell does Arya even jump from? The Night King was surrounded by like 10 White Walkers and they did nothing. Those things are supposed to be these supremely powerful creatures. It's like they did it for cheap shock value.

What did Bran even do to help? Again, it seemed like he was built up to be something bigger? I mean the Night King risked everything to kill him after waiting thousands of years.

Wrong your wrong.

it was good ending.

if you look closely, of the White walkers hair blew , that was Arya running , thats when she jumped.

Bran gave the dagger dragon glass to Arya at the same spot Arya killed Night King. 

Now the real war begins. 

People need to realize that this wasnt even the finale. 

Now that White walkers are out of the way, the fight for the throne begins. 

1 minute ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

Wrong your wrong.

it was good ending.

if you look closely, of the White walkers hair blew , that was Arya running , thats when she jumped.

Bran gave the dagger dragon glass to Arya at the same spot Arya killed Night King. 

Now the real war begins. 

People need to realize that this wasnt even the finale. 

Now that White walkers are out of the way, the fight for the throne begins. 

I stopped reading at "your".

19 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I would have liked to see more of Ghost, TBH. The last thing I remember seeing was him running along beside Jorah....

yeah thats a good point.... maybe he's being saved for later? 

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I also didn't like the strategy. They send the Horde straight at the Army of the dead and then start using the trebuchets? They only got off a few salvos before they had to stop for fear of hitting their own guys. Why not rain fire for a half hour or so and then let the Dothraki have at them?

Gotta say though, the fiery arakhs was a cool effect when seen from Jon and Dany's viewpoint.....and pretty stunning to see how they were quickly extinguished from the Winterfell viewpoint. I'm wondering why Red Mel had such an easy time with those, but had to repeat the spell so many times to light the trench fire...:unsure:

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think it was alluding to what happens to her later on. Nothing left. 

I think maybe with the Dothraki, she didn't have a horde of white walkers barreling down at her. She seemed like she was distracted and under pressure which could cause more difficulties in focusing on the spell. It also wasn't the plan for her to light the trenches, so it was a desperation move.

7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I think maybe with the Dothraki, she didn't have a horde of white walkers barreling down at her. She seemed like she was distracted and under pressure which could cause more difficulties in focusing on the spell. It also wasn't the plan for her to light the trenches, so it was a desperation move.

Could be. It also might have been that the wood was so cold. We saw it basically extinguish fire arrows....

Mostly though, I think it was a way for the producers to build up suspense. Kind of like how guys always cut the blue wire, a second before the bomb is set to explode....

13 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Somebody posted a still from the trailer for next week's episode. Ghost is alive

image.png.1a337ba0d3f90f67939ce9db5808ba33.png

You can see him there behind Dany...

don't think I remember that scene from trailer on saw

Edit

just rewatched it
that clip is quick!

Edited by Shift-4

41 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Speaking of other houses, I'm interested to see what they decide to do about Robett Glover, now that they've beaten the Army of the Dead without the help of Deepwood Motte.

If I'm Dany/Jon, that's another holdfast with a new ruling family.

Why did they send that girl, I believe Lady Castark(sp?), along with Theon to Bran?  I guess Umber, Castark and Mormont are all but done.  Also what happen to that big guy from the Vale, Royce?(by the way I had no idea his son was one of the Crows killed in the pilot episode.)  

Is it wrong for me to say Hardhome and Battle of the Bastards did a better job of capturing the feel of an epic battle. I will rewatch it tonight but I thought most of the battle was too dark, murky and blurry. Still was an epic episode but there certainly was more left to be desired.