The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joseph LaBate | C/LW

b3.

There's a million player like him..we can just hope that the Canucks kid can sperate himself from the rest. Be nice if he turns out to be the sleeper in the draft....but in all honesty he isn't putting up great number even in the NCAA.

PPG in the NCAA is solid, not dominating the league, but solid in a tougher league to score in compared to junior. He isn't expected to be an offensive catalyst when he turns pro, but a solid 2 way guy who can use his size

Labate scored the game winning goal tonight. He now has 6 points (3G, 3A) in 8GP.

For anyone that thinks that being almost a point a game player in college hockey isn't impressive, in comparison at the same age Blake Wheeler scored 38 PTS in 44GP and he was a top 5 pick. David Backes put up 40 PTS in 38GP and he's one of the best powerforwards in the game.

Labate is doing quite well for his age, and plays in the highly competitive big 10 conference.

• 2 weeks later...

Labate scored the game winning goal tonight. He now has 6 points (3G, 3A) in 8GP.

For anyone that thinks that being almost a point a game player in college hockey isn't impressive, in comparison at the same age Blake Wheeler scored 38 PTS in 44GP and he was a top 5 pick. David Backes put up 40 PTS in 38GP and he's one of the best powerforwards in the game.

Labate is doing quite well for his age, and plays in the highly competitive big 10 conference.

Thought this was an interesting tid bit in the recent Canucks Army article

Ryan Lambert points out a good rule of thumbfor evaluating NCAA prospects, those who are averaging 2 SOG/G are above average while those at 3 SOG/G are considered excellent. Keep that in mind when evaluating the NCAA prospects.

Another comment worthy of note

Corey Pronman@coreypronmanFollow

Nicklas Jensen for VAN also has some good flashes, but clearly needs work at the AHL level. Tommernes stood out tonight among VAN guys.

entire article

http://canucksarmy.com/2013/11/27/canucks-weekly-prospect-report-27-november-2013

recorded the game last night, watching it now, Labate got a goal, which was originally credited to him, then credited to someone else, then credited back. i grabbed a vid of it, sorry for the bad quality, i was recording it with my phone off my screen and holding my baby at the time (you can hear her drop her soother at the end and then whine about it. :P

• 4 weeks later...

He reminded me of Higgins last time I saw him play, similar skillset with strength/speed/puck handling along the boards except in a 6'5 frame. I've been really high on him since the draft and I look forward to seeing him in Utica next season or later this year. Hopefully the Comets are more organized after their inaugural year and we dont see so many prospects with rough starts again.

Archived