The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Joseph LaBate | C/LW

b3.

Okay okay guys, I know you're waiting for it so I'll be that guy and just get this over with.

SHOULD'VE DRAFTED JOHNNY HOCKEYZZZZ!!!!! :bigblush:

Seriously though, kinda hurts that Gaudreau was drafted only three spots lower than Labate. But I'm not going to rip Gillis for it because I can't say that I saw this coming either.

Okay okay guys, I know you're waiting for it so I'll be that guy and just get this over with.

Seriously though, kinda hurts that Gaudreau was drafted only three spots lower than Labate. But I'm not going to rip Gillis for it because I can't say that I saw this coming either.

Nobody expected Gaudreau to be anything more than a 3rd line scorer.

A year later, I raised my expectations of him and thought he could become a decent 2nd liner or 3rd liner. Then, all hell broke loose when TSN, CBC or some other freaking sport-broadcaster gave him the nickname of Johnny Hockey.

He then rips it up in the World Juniors.

Rips it up in his Boston College team. 40 points over a PPG.

Last year, he scores a goal against us in his first game in the NHL. Everyone thinks he's the next Patty Kane now.

This year, he's ripping it up at 21 years old and looks like he's going to be a 1st liner.

Looking to become a Theo Fleury type player for the Flames. Drafted by the Flames as well. I don't know, but is Calgary really good at developing players under 5'8? Or is just a coincidence?

Whatever the case, nobody expected Gaudreau to be something like this and we took Labate as he was the best player available at that time.

I can already see the disappointment

on his agents face when he realizes he can't trademark 'Johnny Canuck'.

4th round draft picks emergence as a top 9 (top 4 D) player once every 5-10 years.

Looking at it right now, the candidate with the most odd to play a significant role with the Canucks is Subban, and he's still a long shot. Every year we pick a Labate type of player, they can't all pan out.

Also we have Cassel who's a third rounder who seems to be developping well. We can't be too upset that Labate will probably never play for the Canucks lol

A year later, I raised my expectations of him and thought he could become a decent 2nd liner or 3rd liner. Then, all hell broke loose when TSN, CBC or some other freaking sport-broadcaster gave him the nickname of Johnny Hockey.

Last year, he scores a goal against us in his first game in the NHL. Everyone thinks he's the next Patty Kane now.

This year, he's ripping it up at 21 years old and looks like he's going to be a 1st liner.

Looking to become a Theo Fleury type player for the Flames. Drafted by the Flames as well. I don't know, but is Calgary really good at developing players under 5'8? Or is just a coincidence?

Whatever the case, nobody expected Gaudreau to be something like this and we took Labate as he was the best player available at that time.

He's top 3 in scoring for the Flames and has good numbers in his rookie season. He's already a top 6 scorer or atleast very close to it.

He's top 3 in scoring for the Flames and has good numbers in his rookie season. He's already a top 6 scorer or atleast very close to it.

The context of TOC was that when Gaudreau was first drafted, expectations for him were quite low. Some people above were going why didn't we select gaudreau instead of labate...well quite honestly both were considered longshots at that point, by no means did any of us think Gaudreau would break out the way he did and turn out to be such a stud now.

Was at Nando's lastnite and they actually had U of Mich/UofW playing.

Labate is a tall dude and was somewhat noticable. Tall, NHL body. Didnt excite me and made me wonder if he gets signed and assigned to Utica or we let him walk. I really know nothing of the guy nor have I followed his Career other than his yearly stats. It sucks to have these guys in our system for so long and Im sure Joe has had a few visits and phone calls from Smyl and other developement Staff. Curious to see what he turns out to be after a year or 2 of AHL action.

The one guy I DID notice in that game was Dylan Larkin.... Man-O-Man is that kid going to have a phenominal career ahead. E is involved in every play and is all over that puck. Like a taller version of Parise. Im confident that he will be the Red Wings captain one day soon. If last years draft was tomorrow, In curious as to where Larkin would be selected. Personally I wouldve drafted him over Sam "chin-ups" Bennett or Draisaitl

that Marty St. Louis kid turned out pretty good too

The one guy I DID notice in that game was Dylan Larkin.... Man-O-Man is that kid going to have a phenominal career ahead. E is involved in every play and is all over that puck. Like a taller version of Parise. Im confident that he will be the Red Wings captain one day soon. If last years draft was tomorrow, In curious as to where Larkin would be selected. Personally I wouldve drafted him over Sam "chin-ups" Bennett or Draisaitl

I'm very high on Larkin as well. He is proving to be more than just a reliable 2-way centre. He has very high hockey IQ, speed to burn and clearly a willingness to play the game in all 3 zones. Unfortunately, whenever a player doesn't display top-end offensive production from a young age, they need to prove it at every level before it becomes widely accepted. Dylan will be the same; people will question his ability to play in a scoring role in the NHL until he proves it.

I have no doubt he will prove it.. and to prove it to all of you, I will now pick him up in my keeper league and ride the long-term wave to success!

Nobody expected Gaudreau to be anything less than a 2nd line scorer if he were to make the NHL.. The guy simply does not have the size for the bottom 6. Gaudreau was a top 6 or bust pick due to his size.

LaBate was a guy with great size with some offensive promise - if he actualized even half of his potential offensively, he had a chance at turning into a bottom 6 forward. LaBate was the safer pick due to his size and potential to turn into a bottom 6 forward even if he didn't maximize his potential - Gaudreau was a guy that had to maximize his potential to overcome his size deficits.

Was at Nando's lastnite and they actually had U of Mich/UofW playing.

Labate is a tall dude and was somewhat noticable. Tall, NHL body. Didnt excite me and made me wonder if he gets signed and assigned to Utica or we let him walk. I really know nothing of the guy nor have I followed his Career other than his yearly stats. It sucks to have these guys in our system for so long and Im sure Joe has had a few visits and phone calls from Smyl and other developement Staff. Curious to see what he turns out to be after a year or 2 of AHL action.

LOL Bennett would destroy Larkin every day of the week.

I loved Larkin's game at the WJC too but to say he's better than Bennett is flat out ignorant.

LOL Bennett would destroy Larkin every day of the week.

I loved Larkin's game at the WJC too but to say he's better than Bennett is flat out ignorant.

well I beg to differ....i fail to see how Chinups would "destroy" Larkin anyday of the week. Both play a similar gritty game. Larkin has slight height/weight advantage. Both are speedsters. Both have hockey iq. Larkin was selected further down the totem pole simply due to the fact we was selected out of NTDP and not the flashier OHL.

What is YOUR arguement?

well I beg to differ....i fail to see how Chinups would "destroy" Larkin anyday of the week. Both play a similar gritty game. Larkin has slight height/weight advantage. Both are speedsters. Both have hockey iq. Larkin was selected further down the totem pole simply due to the fact we was selected out of NTDP and not the flashier OHL.

What is YOUR arguement?

Larkin was also playing second fiddle to Jack Eichel in the NTDP and was expected to play both a secondary scoring and shutdown role for the team. While i'm not here to say which of Bennett or Larkin will have the greater career, I will say that Detroit must surely love the value they got from the 15th overall pick versus Calgary having to watch their #4 overall miss a year of development.

If the draft was redone today, please believe Larkin would've gone in the top 10, maybe even top... 6 :ph34r:

Larkin was also playing second fiddle to Jack Eichel in the NTDP and was expected to play both a secondary scoring and shutdown role for the team. While i'm not here to say which of Bennett or Larkin will have the greater career, I will say that Detroit must surely love the value they got from the 15th overall pick versus Calgary having to watch their #4 overall miss a year of development.

If the draft was redone today, please believe Larkin would've gone in the top 10, maybe even top... 6 :ph34r:

maybe even #3....he is exactly the player Edmonton needs, but no...go with the flashy pick suggested by TSN and all other media.....its ok

What is YOUR arguement?

Sam is far more skilled than Larkin while playing an equally impressive gritty two-way game. No contest.

• 1 month later...

Archived