The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Mallet Talk

Samk

I like mallet and hope he makes it with the team soon. Would rather him get some more time in the A with the comets before we makes the jump tho. He was skill, can play good d, win draws, and fight but would rather he not be pigeon holed into a 4th line grinder role. With weise, sestito, Richardson, Higgins, Hansen, santorelli let's not rush him unless he really stands out.

Well he's filed for arbitration, and we can't walk away from a ruling under 3 million (ish), so barring a crazy arbitrator, he'll be re-signed.

We can still walk away since Weise is the one who filed for arbitration. The team is only bound by the arbiter's decision when it comes to term and pay, whether we agree he is worth that and sign him or not is up to us. I think you're recalling the days when teams could take players to arbitration which is no longer in this CBA. Then it made sense, you couldn't take a guy to arbitration then say "Too much" and bugger off anyways.

I rather have him waived since there is no re-entry waivers because who is to say we will not get bombarded with injuries to the point like last year.

Pretty sure he'll get picked up if we send him down though.

Fast, somewhat skilled, solid penalty killer, hits hard, but sucks at fighting

I like mallet and hope he makes it with the team soon. Would rather him get some more time in the A with the comets before we makes the jump tho. He was skill, can play good d, win draws, and fight but would rather he not be pigeon holed into a 4th line grinder role. With weise, sestito, Richardson, Higgins, Hansen, santorelli let's not rush him unless he really stands out.

:huh: Huh!

Those things you are mentioning make him the perfect 4th line forward?

Until his over aged year in junior, Mallet was never a real offensive threat. That just suggested he did have the skills to make it.

Id be shocked if a 4t'h line grinder role was not EXACTLY what he was penciled in for from the very day he was drafted. But I would not be surprised at all to see him called up to play that role, when inevitable injuries hit this year? He's physically ready, Lain as well. If they were fully up to it, we would not have signed Santorelli and Richardson.

After 2 years;

Sedin's/Jensen

Burrows/Horvat/Kassian

Gaunce/Kesler/Shinkaruk

Higgins/Lain/Mallet

Which rookies make it after this year, and this for that matter, is just an issue of who forces themselves on the team...

:huh: Huh!

Those things you are mentioning make him the perfect 4th line forward?

Until his over aged year in junior, Mallet was never a real offensive threat. That just suggested he did have the skills to make it.

Id be shocked if a 4t'h line grinder role was not EXACTLY what he was penciled in for from the very day he was drafted. But I would not be surprised at all to see him called up to play that role, when inevitable injuries hit this year? He's physically ready, Lain as well. If they were fully up to it, we would not have signed Santorelli and Richardson.

After 2 years;

Sedin's/Jensen

Burrows/Horvat/Kassian

Gaunce/Kesler/Shinkaruk

Higgins/Lain/Mallet

Which rookies make it after this year, and this for that matter, is just an issue of who forces themselves on the team...

what happen to Hansen

what happen to Hansen

UFA next year. I expect we'll offer him a good extension part way through the year if he's on track for 40 or 50 points. He's a solid 3rd liner regardless of points. But we'll probably save both the dollars and roster spot for all our recent high draft picks who all happen to be forwards if not.

Edit: And if Hansen and the team are cranking this year; he'll get the extension and one of the prospects will probably by traded for a rental which keeps his spot open.

I doubt he ever achieves Weise's level of development. I still can't understand not drafting Damon Severson with that pick. Seemed like SUCH a no-brainer at the time.

Still would be? And wouldn't a RHD capable of moving the puck look good in our system right now?

Look Mallet is a chance? It was a money ball / fill needs immediately with a young guy pick. He was an over aged draft pick and physically capable of competing in the NHL (presumably) when we needed a depth centre. My guess is Gillis took a chance he could fill the 3 or 4 C soon after being drafted...

But he's taking standard development patterns and it was a risk counting on him; like Kassian. They'll probably be fine long term but certainly did not fit BPA philosophy. Nor have they been the immediate hit MG was probably looking for.

People can't credit MG for bold moves because his have not turned out. When he sticks to convention he fairs much better IMO.

UFA next year. I expect we'll offer him a good extension part way through the year if he's on track for 40 or 50 points. He's a solid 3rd liner regardless of points. But we'll probably save both the dollars and roster spot for all our recent high draft picks who all happen to be forwards if not.

Edit: And if Hansen and the team are cranking this year; he'll get the extension and one of the prospects will probably by traded for a rental which keeps his spot open.

I can't see us letting Hansen walk, you're underrating Hansen a lot.

At this stage, Mallet and Archibald are both basically competing against Sestito for a spot in the lineup. Mallet may amount to something better down the road, but to crack the lineup, he has to beat out Sestito imo. I'd give him a shot at it this year, and strong odds for next. All he needs to show is that he can hit, fight and play defense at around the same level, because his offense is probably already stronger.

At this stage, Mallet and Archibald are both basically competing against Sestito for a spot in the lineup. Mallet may amount to something better down the road, but to crack the lineup, he has to beat out Sestito imo. I'd give him a shot at it this year, and strong odds for next. All he needs to show is that he can hit, fight and play defense at around the same level, because his offense is probably already stronger.

Looking forward to watching both Mallet and Archibald in the Prospects Tourny. Archy doesn't have a new contract yet.

Looking forward to watching both Mallet and Archibald in the Prospects Tourny. Archy doesn't have a new contract yet.

Like you I'm looking forward to see this competition at camp, after all itsn't that what camps is all about. But I disagree it's Sestito that they're battling with. Sestito win or loose goes against the true heavy weights neither Mallet of Archibald can bring that...but Weise you better watch out boy Archies looking over you shoulder. the 4th line centre is a cats whisker from the grasp of either Mallet or Lain. It's what Tortorella has been talking about since he arrived here...push back and confrontation....any one remember the Rangers /Devils set to at the opening whistle a while back...Tortorella doesn't have th man power to do it here.....yet !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I expected Mallet to be further along at this point. He was drafted as a 20yr old in the 2nd round. Usually that means a fast development track.

The clash between the Wolves and Canucks for development last year hurt Mallet, but he has not done much in Utica this year. Hoping to see more of a well rounded game from him. There are spots to take in the bottom 6 at the NHL level right now.

I expected Mallet to be further along at this point. He was drafted as a 20yr old in the 2nd round. Usually that means a fast development track.

The clash between the Wolves and Canucks for development last year hurt Mallet, but he has not done much in Utica this year. Hoping to see more of a well rounded game from him. There are spots to take in the bottom 6 at the NHL level right now.

I think he's struggling with what kind of player he wants to be IMO.

Being a guy that simply grind, hits, and fights may be his best option to make the NHL at this point. Which is unfortunate because I thought he had some serious untapped offensive potential. It would be nice if he could show that.

Archived