The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Justin Schultz to Oilers

He's where he should be... I don't wish the guy ill will or anything... it was his choice to make and he made the choice he thought was best for him.... Be happy for the kid, he got what he wanted.

On a side note, he hasn't even played a game in the NHL. What if he came here and couldn't adjust to the NHL game???

There is a reason that pretty much every team wanted him. There is also a reason why the Ducks were so desperate to sign him that they even offered him an extension the night before their last game of the season so he would burn a year off his ELC and could get a big raise next summer as a RFA.

Everyone is in agreement that he's a 22 year old that is NHL ready. He plays a man's game. Maybe he never becomes a top pairing Dman but he's almost a lock to be a top 4 guy and guys don't come around for free very often.

They'll hate us even more if we get Parise or Suter ;)

There's about 0.1% chance Suter is signing with Vancouver.

Its widely speculated that he'll sign to Detroit or Pittsburg with his buddy Parise.

Yeah we'd all like to acquire the services of Mr.Suter but it ain't happening.

1. yes...because the "committed" owner threatened to move the team if the taxpayer didn't build them one.

2. Every team has 4 top defencemen or they would only have a bottom 2!! The caliber is the question. Edmonton have no top caliber D. Schultz will be their "Weber".

3. Dubnyk will be a middle of the pack goalie his entire career. Cory has already played more pressure-packed games than Dub and has shown he will be a top tier goalie.

4. What's your point? Revolving coaches is still a fact.

5. Having wealth doesn't mean you're willing ot spend it...quite often it is the opposite. Despite the Oiler's horrible performance the last few years, has the owner gone to FA to try and attract seasoned, quality players to improve the team? No...he has relied on placing last to draft through the lottery.

6. Ask Chicago about FA and the impact on a team that plans short-term for a cup run. It sure dos make a difference how you structure your team with "stars" mid-range and support staff.

1. The statement from Katz was the Oilers would not be sustainable in Edmonton without a new arena.

2. I agree that Edmonton doesn't have any top pairing defencemen.

3. We'll see. Schnieder plays infront of a good team which helps him look better as a goalie.

4. If Krueger goes anytime soon, so does Tambellini.

5. The UFA market is a horrible place to get players. Teams end up spending big money on average players.

6. Chciago was hooped because of a few reasons. One is that Tallon didn't submit the qualifying offers in time. Another one is that Toews and Kane were on their final year of their entry level deals and were already extended to 6.3 mil contracts. Since Chicago won the cup, Toews, Kane and a few others received bonus performances that were pushed to the next season making it even harder for them to retain their players.

Guy would rather be given ice time than earn it. Wouldn't be a good fit here with AV.

Yeah, cuz AV gives ice time based on seniority. Even if Kesler and Bieksa are playing like crap.

5 top 4 d-men????? since when!??!?! did they sign weber and suter when i wasn't looking?? because that would only bring them up to 2 top 4 d-men.... and player hitting FA at the same time REALLY does matter, ASK CHICAGO!

its nice that you numbered your points so everyone can tear them apart one by one... maybe you should just put more thought into your next set of bold statements, especially the 5 top 4 d-men the oilers haven't had in decades.

Do you know what a top 4 defenceman is?

It's a defenceman who plays either 1st of 2nd pairing, usually getting 20+ minutes a night that can take a regular shift even strength and play on at least one of the special teams.

Not gonna bash the kid. But I am going to question Canucks ability to recruit players .... again.

Last summer they let their PP quarterback go, and could only attract 4th liners and Sturm. This summer, it was rumored GMs around the league thought Canucks were front runner for Schultz. Now he signs with a different team.

I hope Gillis has a plan. There is a grant total of 1 PP quarterback on the market this summer, they don't become available very often - Gillis has already failed to sign 2 of them. Nucks also have 4 other massive holes to fill (top 4 d-man to play w/ Edler, 3rd line cetnre, playmaker for Kes and backup for Cory). I just hope there's a plan.

There is a reason that pretty much every team wanted him. There is also a reason why the Ducks were so desperate to sign him that they even offered him an extension the night before their last game of the season so he would burn a year off his ELC and could get a big raise next summer as a RFA.

Everyone is in agreement that he's a 22 year old that is NHL ready. He plays a man's game. Maybe he never becomes a top pairing Dman but he's almost a lock to be a top 4 guy and guys don't come around for free very often.

Time will tell, top 4 dman?? on the Oilers? sure, but he still needs to prove it. Thats why i believe the Canucks would've been a wiser choice so he can ease his way in a to become a top 4 defenceman rather than have top 4 ice time handed to him and not live up to the expectations.

Also: If AV is so terrible (and he ain't my favorite coach) - why do most of his players go on to have record years under him?

Thank you. Every time i hear fans bashing on AV for Hodgson, Grabner, etc. I always think about when he split up Kesler and Burrows a duo (much like the Sedins) that at the time were considered perfect for each other and inseperatable. Now look at them, top 6 players being great and key for the team. Before AV they were 3rd liners at best. Obviously you could argue they have matured but much of that has to do with AV's trust in them for their top 6 roles when the team was in that horrible slump (4, 5 years ago?)

Do you know what a top 4 defenceman is?

It's a defenceman who plays either 1st of 2nd pairing, usually getting 20+ minutes a night that can take a regular shift even strength and play on at least one of the special teams.

Well, you have to slot in anyone on those spots... For an example, if your defence is weak, and you have no better option than Aaron Rome, you slot him in on a top4 role, that doesn't really mean Rome automatically becomes a top4 d-man. That says more about the team than Aaron Rome.

GMMG made a huge booboo re-signing AV,

I am thinking the same thing. No skilled young player would want AV deciding his role on the team. AV himself was a marginal NHL player who survived on toughness and experience. He expects other players to do the same and has a hard time with high skill young player who might, gasp, be able to slot quickly into a top 4 role on defense or a top 6 forward role.

AV loves guys like Rome and Lapierre. Those kind of guys are valuable, but you still need the high-skill guys.

I hope MG can sign a tough experienced free agent D -- someone who might be willing to play for AV.

I am thinking the same thing. No skilled young player would want AV deciding his role on the team. AV himself was a marginal NHL player who survived on toughness and experience. He expects other players to do the same and has a hard time with high skill young player who might, gasp, be able to slot quickly into a top 4 role on defense or a top 6 forward role.

AV loves guys like Rome and Lapierre. Those kind of guys are valuable, but you still need the high-skill guys.

I hope MG can sign a tough experienced free agent D -- someone who might be willing to play for AV.

All AV asks is for players to be defensively responsible and not make dumb plays. Is that really too much to ask out of a player?

The ones who have done that have all excelled under him.

Archived