The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Shane Doan's agent said the Canucks are one of the teams.

Q: he is 35. Would we want to give him a 3 year deal? If he retires he is still on the books.

Q2: would he take a 1 year deal?

Q3: is he worth the risk of a long term (3 year) deal anyways?

From me: Yes, No, Yes...

Same here. But I'm just going to go ahead and throw caution to the wind and believe that he wants to be here.

The thing I don't get is why people keep putting Doan on the 2nd line, when he clearly belongs with the twins.

3 year deal = No NTC

2 year deal = NTC

I'd be happy with either. We'd get, if he stayed healthy, a good 2 years out of him, possibly even 3....or we could always trade him back to PHX or WPG if he chose to go back 'home' to retire.

I believe I read somewhere that he's not looking for a 1 year deal at all. This minimum would be 2.

3 year deal is worth the risk, imo. In fact he'd be a great mentor for Jensen, Kassian, Gaunce, etc in his 3rd year. He may be old in age, but he's still been very effective on the scoresheet, and in the locker-room. While the stats may come down over the next 3 years, the locker-room presence probably won't...in fact, it may even grow as a player for the Canucks.

I would be very happy to see him choose VAN as a destination to win a Cup. I hope Gillis and Gillman pull out all the stops to bring him here.

Great news.

I think it all depends on how much he is willing to sign for. Does he expect the same 4.5m he has been making even though the last couple of years has seen a 20 point reduction in performance? If so, perhaps a shorter contract is in order. I am not sure if the reduction is due to his age, his linemates, or both.

If he's willing to make less, then I think a 3 year contract is fine. We'll may get the best value in the first one or two years, but even after that point I think he will still be a decent presence on the ice and his cap hit (3.5-4?) wouldn't really be all that bad when then cap ceiling is some 10-15m higher.

According to his agent, (quoted on Sportsnet) Doan could start looking at deals tomorrow (Tuesday). He is still waiting to htear if the citizens group collecting signatures has been successful and if the sale of the Yotes could be in jeopardy.

Looks like he is still keen to re-sign with the Yotes but isn't willing to wait out a 2 month court battle with the added uncertainty.

My guess is that even if he decided to move on from Phoenix, it will take at least a couple weeks for him to digest the offers and meet with the teams' management.

This will become J Schultz version II.

Maybe trade May Ray for Yannik Weber? He could become a good top 4 some day and he is young and RD

Sedin-Sedin-Doan

Booth-Kesler-Burrows

Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

Volpatti-Malhotra-Weise

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Garrison

Ballard-Weber

Schneider

Archived