The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What to do with Keith Ballard

CanucksJay

The reason Ballard "struggles" here is the same reason Hodgson, Grabner, Shirokov, Wellwood, etc. "struggled"... they are being used incorrectly by a stubborn coach.

He likes pluggers or two-way players... may god help you if you aren't a grinder or a Sedin.

I hope Ballard gets a fair chance this year, at least on the PP. I am perfectly happy with a Ballard - Tanev 3rd pairing.

Not like he has much trade value anyways, and we don't have anybody who can eat ~15-17 minutes in his place.

Ya Rome did nothing, and Ya okay Edler, Bieksa, Garrison and Ballard, Hamhuis is good but I would give Ballard a shot.

As I said he was inconsistent but I think he deserves another shot, his skating ability is easily the best out of the defensemen & that can a huge asset on the PP. And I think he brings alot more offensive IQ than Rome and a bit more than even Hamhuis.

In my opinion he brings alot:

Pros:

- Great Skater; the best on our Blueline

- Good shot blocker; lead the league in Shots Blocked in 09-10

- Good Hockey sense/IQ; He can make good plays, and knows when to jump into the rush or get more involved in the play

- Passing; Good passer

- Checking; He has the big hip check of course but I think he is also a good hitter normally aswell, even though he is a bit undersized.

- Toughness/Grit; He isn't Kevin Bieksa but he is gritty, not afraid to drop the gloves and stand up for teammates, he's also very durable.

- Defensive game; I think he is very good in one on one situations, I didnt see him get beat one on one in the playoffs and he really was solid defensively.

- The Tanev Pairing; Him and Chris have formed a good pair, which not only helps Ballard but also help Tanev with his maturation and development.

Cons:

- Inconsistency; He has struggled at times and been great at times, I'm still confident he can find consistency

- Offensive ability; I think it is better than he has shown here, but during his time here he hasn't show that offensive ability I think he has.

- Descision making/risk taking; He does sometimes take risks he doesnt need too, or makes bad descisions, but so does Bieksa, and that was an area Ballard improved in this year so I think he can fix it up

There may be more I haven't got to but this is how I think he is, I'm still confident he can play the way he did and in the Playoffs and if so him and Tanev will make a very good, Reliable 3rd pair.

If the ability to upgrade on him is there via trade, then I hope it's explored.

The FA market won't yield us a better dman, so if we can't upgrade through a trade, then I am supportive of keeping him in an overpaid role on the 3rd pairing for now.

To his credit, he's been better as of late and was one of the bettern and safer dmen in the playoffs. Hopefully he continues to be so.

The reason Ballard "struggles" here is the same reason Hodgson, Grabner, Shirokov, Wellwood, etc. "struggled"... they are being used incorrectly by a stubborn coach.

He likes pluggers or two-way players... may god help you if you aren't a grinder or a Sedin.

I hope Ballard gets a fair chance this year, at least on the PP. I am perfectly happy with a Ballard - Tanev 3rd pairing.

Not like he has much trade value anyways, and we don't have anybody who can eat ~15-17 minutes in his place.

What are Keith Ballard’s greatest attributes and flaws?

I think the only reason why we should trade him is if we can get a significant upgrade on defence via trade. He shouldn't be a throw in on a deal or a cap dump.

So you'd take Hamhuis off the PP and replace him with Ballard? Do you remember last season when AV tried pairing Ballard with Bieksa? You have to take ice time away from Edler or Hamhuis to give Ballard "his shot". I can't see taking Edler off the the first unit in favor of Ballard. And Ballard/Bieksa just makes me shudder from last seasons experience.

As I said, when he was given "his shot" before he wasn't very good at holding the line and was guilty of bad pinches. That doesn't exactly help the PP. It really nullifies what his speed adds to the PP.

I'd rather see his contract moved to make room for that big physical crease clearer.

Because both Edler and Hamhuis are better than him. When he was given PP time he had trouble holding the line and was guilty of attempting pinches he had no hope of winning. Which is why, when it came down to it, AV put Rome out there ahead of him. At least Rome was decent holding the line and played a safe game.

I keep asking the same question and never really seem to get a logical answer.

The facts:

Ballard has been tried on the right side and has said he's not comfortable there.

Edler has played right side and has said he's not comfortable there.

Why would you break up Bieksa and Hamhuis? Numbers have been previously posted that they both perform better together than with any other D on the team. Although hammer was also tried on the right side with Edler and it didn't go that well.

So you have Hamhuis, Edler and Ballard all playing the left side. Edler gets the offensive ice time while Hamhuis gets the defensive ice time.

The question:

Who do you take ice time away from to give Ballard more ice time: Hamhuis or Edler?

It has NOTHING to do with AV not liking Ballard. It has everything to do with AV liking winning. The third pairing will always get the least ice time unless the game is a blowout.

Can you honestly tell me that AV has treated all the players he's had in his tenure here equally and fairly?

His obvious favouritism is sickening and often hinders our chances of winning (ex: the amount of chances Raymond gets).

I'm going to go WAY out on a limb here and make a suggestion that probably sounds completely whacked and will get me flamed for the rest of the summer....

Ok.....everybody ready......here goes......

We wait and see what he does in Training camp and how he fits with the new revamped group!

:shock:

You can also argue that Raymond gets the chances he does because of the player he can be. It's an attempt to get him out of his funk. To find his game. The best way to do that is obviously by playing. And this team is good enough to succeed for some time despite his shortcomings.

Archived