The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread (Keep all discussion here)

Roberto Luongo looking over the shoulders of Panthers goalies Clemmensen and Theodore

"It's been a tough summer, not knowing what's going to happen,'' said Luongo, 33, while changing in the cramped visitor's locker room a few feet from where several Panthers, including goalie coach Robb Tallas, were skating in an unofficial practice.

"It's tough to not know what your future is going to be with your family and everything. There were a couple of stressful moments, but we're still here and everything's good.

"[The Panthers] makes sense for myself, for my career and my family,'' added Luongo, who still has 10 years at $5.33 million per remaining on his deal. "That being said. There's obvious other options as well. This is a preferred location for obvious reasons but I'm not shutting the door on other possibilities if it comes up.''

Meanwhile, neither Theodore nor Clemmensen, both 35, are overly concerned with Luongo looking over their shoulders because both are under contract, plus Theodore has a no-trade clause.

Theodore, who had an outstanding comeback season, going 22-16-11 with a 2.46 goals-against average, has played for four teams in the last five years, so he's more than ready to establish roots for himself and his family. He wouldn't say if Tallon has asked him to waive his no-trade clause.

"At this point there's no use talking about speculation,'' Theodore said after a morning skate last week. "It's been a quiet summer for me. I didn't have to make any tough decisions on where to sign or where to go, a good quiet summer. I didn't really follow what went on. I was back home just relaxing and working out with my personal trainer.

"I want to retire here for sure. All the players were part of the process last year and it was a good start. I feel like I've got a lot more years in front of me and this is the place. I like the fans; I like where the team is going, the organization, so obviously, I want to be part of that process.''

Clemmensen, who enjoyed one of his finest seasons, going 14-6-6 with a 2.57 goals-against-average, is also wants to remain with the Panthers.

"It's useless energy wasted on speculating what might happen with him,'' Clemmensen said of Luongo. "We pretty much have the same lineup that we had last year, as far as goalies are concerned. I feel like we did a great job last year, the three of us who played at this level anyway. I feel confident and very excited to be in the same kind of scenario.''

Luongo, still the Panthers all-time leading goalie in games played (317), victories (108) and shutouts (26), said he hasn't spoken with Gillis recently, but he believes that his boss is waiting for the best deal. One thing Luongo knows for certain is that he isn't ready to be a backup, despite his less-than-sterling playoff results in recent years.

"Obviously, I want to start. That's a given,'' said Luongo, an avid cyclist who often rides to Palm Beach and back to his home in Parkland as part of training regimen.

"You're dealt different situations in life. You've got to handle them the right way. I don't know what's going to happen this year. The only thing I could do is work hard and have a positive atittude. At the end of the day, I'm sure everything is going to work out.''

just read this quote from Lu on his current situation.

"You're dealt different situations in life," said Luongo. "You've got to handle them the right way. I don't know what's going to happen this year. The only thing I could do is work hard and have a positive attitude.

"At the end of the day, I'm sure everything is going to work out."

Woah, I think I'm actually going to beat VC in posting this:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=404511

CORAL SPRINGS, Fla. -- Roberto Luongo says it just "makes sense" for him to return to the Florida Panthers.

The Vancouver Canucks goaltender, who is awaiting a trade after losing his No. 1 job to Cory Schneider, skated near his off-season home on Tuesday and made it clear during an interview with the South Florida Sun Sentinel that his preference was to return to the Panthers.

"(Florida) makes sense for myself, for my career and my family," Luongo told the paper. "That being said, there's obvious other options as well. This is a preferred location for obvious reasons but I'm not shutting the door on other possibilities if it comes up."

Luongo spent five seasons in Florida between 2001 and 2006, when he was dealt to Vancouver. He and his wife return to the area every summer with their young children.

The 33-year-old has 10 years remaining on his contract at a cap hit of US$5.33 million and holds a no-trade clause.

Luongo posted a 31-14-8 record last season with a .919 save percentage and 2.41 goals-against average. He's dealt with speculation about his future in Vancouver for the past two seasons and it reached a new pitch when Schneider took over the No. 1 job during a first-round playoff loss to Los Angeles in the spring.

Luongo, who backstopped Canada to gold at the Vancouver Olympics, maintains that he wants to be in a position where he gets the majority of starts. The veteran is willing to be patient while the Canucks look for a trade that makes sense.

"You're dealt different situations in life," said Luongo. "You've got to handle them the right way. I don't know what's going to happen this year. The only thing I could do is work hard and have a positive attitude.

"At the end of the day, I'm sure everything is going to work out."

I'd compare him more to a Neely type player (fingers crossed). Having seen some of his goals on youtube this is a guy that scores frequently by crashing the net, taking guys off the puck and he still has a fantastic wrist shot. He's a for sure NHLer which is why Gillis has to pull the trigger on this kid.

Regarding the defenseman UFA pool, I'd take a guy like Hainsey in a heartbeat. He's big, physical and has had productive seasons despite being condemned to Atlanta.

VAN

Bjugstad

Something else

FLA

Luongo

He needs to shut his mouth. He's handcuffing this team. If a deal for Schneider comes up and it is just not refusable, he's putting extra pressure on himself.

There's an unwritten rule in sports where you don't talk about possibilities like that. In a sense, Luongo can be said to be tampering.

He needs to shut his mouth. He's handcuffing this team. If a deal for Schneider comes up and it is just not refusable, he's putting extra pressure on himself.

There's an unwritten rule in sports where you don't talk about possibilities like that. In a sense, Luongo can be said to be tampering.

Archived