236 replies to this topic

#151 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,727 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

Kevin Epp, Weber's agent is on Prime Time right now. He says he will ask the Preds to add a NTC , NMC to Weber's contract. There are conflicting reports on if this provision can be added, Friedman says there might be something on page 36 of CBA that allows NTC, NMC to be added.

If it is doable both Weber and the Preds would have to agree to this. If I am the Preds I do NOT agree to add this provision to Weber's contract.

WTF? Are they serious?

Poile should tell them to go f themselves.

No way he gets a NTC. Is the money not enough?

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#152 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:49 PM

Expected, but you've gotta feel for Weber, being stuck in Nashville until the end of time.

Weber can cry all he wants, the underhanded, cowardly crap he pulled was pathetic, strip him of the "C" and sew on "G" for greed.

The have you by the sack now you big dumb goof.

And stuck on a team that still makes the playoffs as is today at the cap floor?
How is this not one of the best managed teams in all of pro sports.

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#153 OrrFour

OrrFour

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

It just shows the greed of players to me.
They want these ridiculous 15 year contracts knowing that there's no way they'll be worth the amount they're being paid for the majority of the contract. Instead of being paid what they're worth.
In the new CBA 5-7 contract max may actually be a good thing.

Really? Greed of players?
Weber is being paid what he is worth under the current CBA.
The canucks and a few other high revenue teams would've paid it too because they think he is worth the money in their quest to win a cup.

Max 5-7 year contracts would be great for low revenue teams. All the stars would be equally distributed among the teams because the top players would want max length and max salary. It would level the competitive playing field for the league. Parity would be the rule.
I'd prefer a CBA that allows the canucks to use our considerable resources (from high ticket prices, sold out games, jersey sales, etc.) to sign long term, front loaded contracts for top players.
I really don't care what shea weber, christian bale, sid crosby, justin bieber, peyton manning, kobe bryant make.
Just win us a cup!

#154 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

Lol no way they add a NTC NMC. Weber basically went and negotiated a way overpriced contract without the side that has to pay it. Now wants them to throw in a NTC? Good luck with that..

I don't blame him for signing the contract, but get real lol

My prediction.. Nashville lets these other young stud dmen develop and then trades weber down the road for all the upfront scoring power they want.

#155 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

He'll be traded when the opportunity arises, no way he stays in Nashville now. At least NSH will be able to get something decent out of him
Posted Image

#156 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

Holmgrem basicaly tried to bully Nashville into giving up Weber with his owners bottomless pockets, and he lost.

If Holmgren lost, so did 28 other GMs. Philly's no worse off than they were a week ago.

#157 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,533 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

Good chance he gets traded. Nashville can get a much bigger return than the 4 draft picks through a trade.

#158 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

Really? Greed of players?
Weber is being paid what he is worth under the current CBA.
The canucks and a few other high revenue teams would've paid it too because they think he is worth the money in their quest to win a cup.

Max 5-7 year contracts would be great for low revenue teams. All the stars would be equally distributed among the teams because the top players would want max length and max salary. It would level the competitive playing field for the league. Parity would be the rule.
I'd prefer a CBA that allows the canucks to use our considerable resources (from high ticket prices, sold out games, jersey sales, etc.) to sign long term, front loaded contracts for top players.
I really don't care what shea weber, christian bale, sid crosby, justin bieber, peyton manning, kobe bryant make.
Just win us a cup!

The irony here is that Kobe Bryant has been underpaid his entire career relative to the lesser lights in the league. The problem with the NBA lately has been the ridiculous contracts dished out to the middling players whereas superstars like Kobe and LeBron are capped at $20 million per year.

I agree with your entire post. Players get whatever the market will bear. No one's paying to go and see Nick Spaling in NSH. Weber gets them gate money, and he enriches that gate because NSH get more playoff revenue with him in the line-up.

#159 OrrFour

OrrFour

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

The irony here is that Kobe Bryant has been underpaid his entire career relative to the lesser lights in the league. The problem with the NBA lately has been the ridiculous contracts dished out to the middling players whereas superstars like Kobe and LeBron are capped at $20 million per year.
I agree with your entire post. Players get whatever the market will bear. No one's paying to go and see Nick Spaling in NSH. Weber gets them gate money, and he enriches that gate because NSH get more playoff revenue with him in the line-up.

Yes true about the top stars in the nba. The ones that sell tix don't get actual value, but at least most get amazing shoe endorsement money. Not so much in the nhl. lol
Who's nick spaling?

#160 Shoreline74

Shoreline74

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

Expected.

PHI was stupid and tried to force NSH hand. Weber got want he wanted = $$$. NSH has it's captain and #1D (Norris trophy candidate every year) for the next 10-14 yrs. NSH just needs to upgrade the forward scoring depth. They will be scary if they ever get some legit snipers there.

Semin's still available :emot-parrot:

#161 Bauer1337

Bauer1337

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

Unbelievable!! Just rebuild already, they could have just shopped the 4 first round picks for better players, or kept them and pulled a Pittsburg or Edmonton and build through the draft.

I feel bad for Weber too, he obviously wanted out, now he's stuck for atleast another year if not more. He can always demand a trade but who would take that contract?

philly

#162 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,115 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

Weber can cry all he wants, the underhanded, cowardly crap he pulled was pathetic, strip him of the "C" and sew on "G" for greed.

Where are you coming from with all this vitriol? Weber knew that there was a good possibility that Nashville would match.

And greed? Tell me you wouldn't have signed that offer sheet.
(shiznak@Jun 17 2008, 08:00 PM)
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

I doubt Kesler would ever break 15 goals in his career again.

#163 Starfruits

Starfruits

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:07 PM

Thanks a lot Philly... -_- I hope you never win the Stanley Cup for the next 10 years...

#164 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:28 PM

Who's Nick Spaling?

I rest my case. :lol:

Left Wing

77 games

10g 12a 22 pts

Edited by Barry_Wilkins, 24 July 2012 - 04:29 PM.

#165 Venom52

Venom52

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:36 PM

Unbelievable!! Just rebuild already, they could have just shopped the 4 first round picks for better players, or kept them and pulled a Pittsburg or Edmonton and build through the draft.

I feel bad for Weber too, he obviously wanted out, now he's stuck for atleast another year if not more. He can always demand a trade but who would take that contract?

The Flyers obviously.

Posted Image

#166 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:38 PM

No more complaining about Gillis... He couldn't have done any better then that offer.

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#167 King_Canuckian

King_Canuckian

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

I don't have a problem with any of this. I'm sure Weber had plenty of offer sheets to choose from. Weber and his agent probably looked over all of them and discussed the future implications of what would have happened if he took one over another, including the likelihood of Nashville matching. Based on the report that he wants a NTC/NMC, Weber basically wanted some sort of stability rather than going year to year waiting to see how many of the other 29 teams would make a pitch for him. He hit a homerun, is it Weber's fault Holmgren offered him an insane offer sheet?

#168 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

Weber chose the money and opportunity to be with a winning organization. I don't blame him for doing what he's done. But to come back to the Preds now and demand a NTC looks foolish on him. But hey...you don't get if you don't ask...so why not try.

It's funny though how CDC can turn on someone in an instant. A few days ago I had to sift through a hord of "Come home to BC Shea" threads...now he's a greedy, wining SOB who'll probably hear the boo birds next time he hits town with the Preds.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#169 cdubuya

cdubuya

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:52 PM

Was shea on the record as saying he wanted to leave? He obviously knew the repercussions of what would happen. I think from the outside looking in he just wanted to be compensated fairly and cash in on one of the last front loaded mega deals. Where did this idea that he wanted out come from? Maybe he said it but I haven't seen any postings. This is a team that lowballed the crap out of him last summer offering 4.5 mill. You think he wanted to go arbitration again? He may have gotten 8-9 mill from the arbitrator. I bet many teams woulda given him 14 mill for the year. Offer sheets are for the players to get them fair contracts. Good for Weber. I hope he got what he wanted and won't demand a trade.
Posted Image

#170 Vlas=d

Vlas=d

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

Weber asking for a NTC just shows that he had no intention of ever resigning with Nashville. He purely just wanted to cash in before the new CBA was put into affect and was willing to risk being stuck in Nashville for the time being if Nashville matched the ridiculous offer. Adding a NTC to the contract would just let Weber dictate where he would want to be traded to in the near future. That might help the Canucks were Weber to list them as one of them teams he would accept a trade to but it would likely decimate the return Nashville would get and end up being no different than not matching the offersheet.

If Nashville adds a NTC fire Poile on the spot. If he were so concerned about a NTC then he should of waited a year or resigned with Nashville.

edit: I also think Weber is going to pull a Nash in 2-3 years and say he is "tired" of losing and wants to be traded which is why he needs the NTC.

Edited by Vlas=d, 24 July 2012 - 05:10 PM.

#171 butters

butters

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

everybody loses. Weber for being a douche and not signing a 1 year offer sheet and testing the free agency next year,

that makes him a douche?

#172 butters

butters

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

nerd rage!

Clearly if he was a straightforward, brave guy he would have forced a trade to Van and played for the league minimum.

#173 Ghostdivision

Ghostdivision

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

everybody loses. Weber for being a douche and not signing a 1 year offer sheet and testing the free agency next year, Philly for being Philly and losing out, and Nashville for not having dealt him (or Suter) when they had ample time all last year and prior to trade deadline, draft, or July 1.

Why are people trash talking him like he really screwed himself, he likely understood their was a good chance they would match. His main priority was to get a long term contract before the cba, this much should be obvious by now, he was not interested in a 1 year offer. This was a brilliant business move for him to maximize his value long term. And should his numbers dip this season without suter, his worth is at an all time high right now. After that he can push for a trade much like nash did if he really wants out. Gillis said the same thing yesterday weber wanted a long term contract before the new cba, he knew all possibilities and all outcomes by signing that offersheet, he did not screw himself, or do anything he didnt expect could happen, he wanted to get paid long term.

For weber a long term contract before the new cba trumped freedom to play wherever he wanted next year. He got what he wanted, and if hes unhappy, he will ask for a trade next offseason, he was a predator with nashville another year anyway even if he did not sign the offer sheet.

I feel bad for posters who think he screwed himself.

Edited by Ghostdivision, 24 July 2012 - 05:27 PM.

#174 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

If Holmgren lost, so did 28 other GMs. Philly's no worse off than they were a week ago.

That's a lie. There was a good possibility that he was going to become a UFA and they would have had their chance than. Also the two teams were in trade talks, now Weber can't be traded for another year. Get real.

#175 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

Carrie Underwood probably help pay for Weber's contract.

#176 Karlsson`s Flo

Karlsson`s Flo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

This situation in Nashville could get ugly really quick. Poile will probably give him the NTC to keep him happy. He's the face of their franchise.

#177 ChiTownNuck

ChiTownNuck

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:45 PM

edit: I also think Weber is going to pull a Nash in 2-3 years and say he is "tired" of losing and wants to be traded which is why he needs the NTC.

It'll be mighty tough to use that excuse as Nashville has made the playoffs 7 out of the last 8 years, while the nucks only 6/8.

Total points since 2003-04 season - Van 817, Nsh 789, only 28 pts over 8 seasons (3.5 pts/season),

Whether you like their game, city, or whatever they're successful. Or look at it this way, both of us have zero cups so we're both unsuccessful

#178 MikeGillis58

MikeGillis58

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,440 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:55 PM

I bet Shea Weber is now kicking himself. Should have waited until UFA to sign a lifetime contract.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#179 butters

butters

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

I bet Shea Weber is now kicking himself. Should have waited until UFA to sign a lifetime contract.

They are likely going to put term limits on contracts in the next CBA, so he may never have gotten the chance.

#180 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,792 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

Ummm, not sure if your aware of one little fact...umm they made it to the second rd of the playoffs this year, so technically...They did more winning then our team did. I mean we won the presidents trophy and that's dandy and all but they did more winning when it matters than we did....just sayin...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.