The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Predators Match Offer Sheet To Captain Shea Weber

Weber guaranteed he makes a boatload of money before likely changes to the CBA would make deals like this against the rules.

He made the choice that he wanted to ensure he got the big payday - it was a good financial decision.

If he's unhappy there, he can always push Nashville to trade him once a year has passed. Just like Nash just did to get out of Columbus.

See what happens when you're greedy Shea?

All parties lost on this one

Philly loses out on Weber

Canucks lose out on Weber

Nashville gets Weber but pays 26million in one year alone and will be cash strapped.

Weber is stuck now for 14years in Nashville when he wanted out.....well i guess he has 110 million reasons why he should be happy.

This has to be fixed in the new CBA

I still think Weber comes out the winner in this one. He basically gets the biggest contract he could have ever hoped for.

And there`s still a good chance that Nashville will wanna trade him next summer. And if there`s a NTC included that means he even gets to choose where to go.

We didn't make a serious longer term offer, because the end result was obvious: Nashville matches. The one year, massive offer sheet approach was never going to work, because of the expiring CBA.

The only option was to hope for the best next year as a UFA. It never came to that because Weber wanted a deal under current CBA terms. Who could blame him really? Philly just sealed the deal for Weber and Nashville.

So here's a question: if Nashville decides to trade Weber in August 2013, could the team acquiring him somehow retroactively pay the signing bonus he's due next July 1st? I know teams can't trade cap space or pay extra salary, but does that also apply to signing bonuses?

If Nashville is indeed stuck paying $27M over the next 12 months, there's absolutely no reason to trade him until June 2014 at the earliest, just before his next $13M cheque is to be written.

That's the best part about this for me.

Holmgrem basicaly tried to bully Nashville into giving up Weber with his owners bottomless pockets, and he lost.

I really hope this is the end of these ridiculous offer sheets too.

Weber won. He gets PAID. He can handle playing in Nashville, and if he really wants to push for a trade in a year, he can.

Philly didn't get the player, but they lose nothing.

Bettman wins. This deal will be centerstage in arguing that these sort of deals hurt the league and need to be gone in the new CBA.

Nashville won because they kept their star. And apparently NHL teams like to lose money, so what's the difference?

We didn't make a serious longer term offer, because the end result was obvious: Nashville matches. The one year, massive offer sheet approach was never going to work, because of the expiring CBA.

The only option was to hope for the best next year as a UFA. It never came to that because Weber wanted a deal under current CBA terms. Who could blame him really? Philly just sealed the deal for Weber and Nashville.

Archived