The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Is Hansen Our Most Expendable Asset?

Kack Zassian

Hansen and Kassian are the only natural right wingers on the Canucks roster - Burrows is a natural left wing playing the right side, Raymond is as well - aside from all the positives things in Hansen's game, the actual depth on the roster also makes moving Hansen quite a bad idea, although it's become popular on CDC lately to throw him into proposals as if a replacable spare part.

Hansen is heavily underrated. I don't know if anyone in the league can do his job as well as he does it. I feel like he'd be nearly impossible to replace. Trading him would be incredibly stupid.

I understand your question and point but the answer is simply no, he is not expendable. Why? Well your logic is a bit flawed because you are not factoring in things that he brings to the table other than points and the importance of his role on the team.

Hansen is one of our most versatile fwds, he can slot into a 1 or 2 in a pinch and plays the 3rd to perfection. He is one of the best players in the league on the forecheck and causes numerous turnovers. He is a terrific defensive player and has decent hands.

Having depth on your third line in terms of scoring ability is a big key to winning the cup. Not to mention he has a motor that doesn't quit. He in my mind is a poor man's Burrows.

Our first is the best in the league with the Sedins/Burrows

Our Second could be better but can also be better just from improvement of the players on that line. Kesler can bring more and will once he's healthy, Booth has to bring more and hopefully can, and I actually like Higgins up there vs 3 because there is chemistry between the three players.

Our third line is one of the best in the league if you have Hansen, Lappy, and Higgins or Kassian. A big part of that is Hansen. Take him out of the equation and the dynamic changes.

Don't agree with Nospeak - you are ignoring chemistry, you can't measure that in a trade. Right now this team / player fits well and enhances the chemistry of the team there are players that don't and those are expendible. Below are the guys that are core and chemistry builders and those that are not. Those that are cannot be traded.

Core Starters /Chemistry

Fwds

Sedins, Burrows

Kesler/Higgins

Hansen, Lappiere

Expendable Starters

Booth

Manny

Raymond

Defense Core/Chemistry

Edler

Bieksa

Hammer

Expendable

Ballard

Tanev

So, any package for Lou if it needs sweeteners can include any of the expendable guys but none of the core. Pretty simple.

I agree with most of what you said, I still don't think he would be easily replaced, but with players like Jensen, Kassian, Higgins, Raymond, he may be expendable. Most of the people commenting in this thread fail to realize that although Hansen is great at what he does, the Canucks still need to improve in different areas, e.i. second line winger and third line center, and the gain in the aforementioned positions would overcome the loss of Hansen, because of players like Higgins, Kassian and Jensen.

Honestly, I think Burrrows is a more likely chip than Hansen at this point......Burr's game is going to start to decline soon and he's going to want a payday for this accomplishments (and rightly so) over the past few years, but MG might not want to be the one to give it to him.........Burrows is pretty well known and his value, amongst GM's, is probably pretty high still

Hansen, on the other hand, is on his way up..........he's what Burr was in 2007, but he's a pretty unknown entity in the league..........I think MG probably realizes that he would not get the value back for Hansen that he's worth to the Nucks

If we can get a sweeter deal by adding Hansen into the mix, DO IT GMMG! The Hansen fans on this discussion board never cease to amaze me - you're as dedicated as Brent Sopel fans. But Hansen will never have soft enough hands to be a regular contributor - he lucked out first half of the season being on CoHo's line - and scored like 2 goals for the second half of the entire season.

He doesn't fight, and he doesn't have great open-ice hits - he's a low-class grinder, who isn't afraid to get in dirty areas. He IS EXPENDABLE. Guys like Burrows, Lappy, those are the more complete players with greater potential.

So theoretical question.

In a Luongo trade lets say MG can get a package from Toronto centered around Kadri

Or

A package that sends Luongo and Hansen to Florida, but Bjugstad is the center piece.

What would you rather see?

If we can get a sweeter deal by adding Hansen into the mix, DO IT GMMG! The Hansen fans on this discussion board never cease to amaze me - you're as dedicated as Brent Sopel fans. But Hansen will never have soft enough hands to be a regular contributor - he lucked out first half of the season being on CoHo's line - and scored like 2 goals for the second half of the entire season.

He doesn't fight, and he doesn't have great open-ice hits - he's a low-class grinder, who isn't afraid to get in dirty areas. He IS EXPENDABLE. Guys like Burrows, Lappy, those are the more complete players with greater potential.

Archived