The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

General Hockey Questions

Rate this topic

Does anyone know how playoff positions are going to be decided this year?

Especially given that there are more teams in the east now.

The top three teams from each division make the playoffs. The next best two teams from the conference also make the playoffs as wild-cards. The wild card teams may cross-over divisions, but not conferences. The top team from the conference plays the lesser of the two wild cards. 2nd place plays 3rd place within the division.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/the-explainer-new-nhl-playoff-seeding-format-1.1871216

Not quite sure where to post this, but I was wondering why we cant see how many points earned per game and what players earned what points.we have always been able to see before but not this year. I really enjoyed seeing points for everything and wish it was brought back please. I know a lot of other ppl that play do as well

Not quite sure where to post this, but I was wondering why we cant see how many points earned per game and what players earned what points.we have always been able to see before but not this year. I really enjoyed seeing points for everything and wish it was brought back please. I know a lot of other ppl that play do as well

not sure what you mean

the main scoreboard with all the stats is below

http://www.nhl.com/ice/scores.htm?navid=NAV|SCR|League

You can see the game log for each player's season so far. Like this:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8467876&season=20132014&view=log

Can the Devils trade for a first round pick this year? I've asked this question before but I can't remember the answer?

I don't know the answer but I can't see why not. The penalty for the Kovy deal was to forfeit their own first round pick. Shouldn't stop them from trading something for a first rounder

• 2 weeks later...

Basically, if any player tries to gain an unfair advantage in the face-off circle (not necessarily the guy taking the face-off) then your face-off taker gets tossed out.

Here's the official explanation from the NHL...

76.3 Procedure – As soon as the line change procedure has been completed by the Referee and he lowers his hand to indicate no further changes, the Linesman conducting the face-off shall blow his whistle. This will signal to both teams that they have no more than five (5) seconds to line up for the ensuing face-off. At the end of the five (5) seconds (or sooner if both centers are ready), the Linesman will conduct a proper face-off. If, however:

(i) One or both centers are not positioned for the face-off,

(ii) One or both centers refrain from placing their stick on the ice,

(iii) Any player has encroached into the face-off circle,

(iv) Any player makes physical contact with an opponent, or

(v) Any player who lines up for the face-off in an off-side position,

the Linesman shall have the offending center(s) replaced immediately prior to dropping the puck.

In theory, a defenseman could take his place, but defensemen don't normally practice taking face-offs, so they aren't very good at it.

• 2 weeks later...

Basically, if any player tries to gain an unfair advantage in the face-off circle (not necessarily the guy taking the face-off) then your face-off taker gets tossed out.

Here's the official explanation from the NHL...

In theory, a defenseman could take his place, but defensemen don't normally practice taking face-offs, so they aren't very good at it.

Found out tonight that D-men occasionally DO take faceoffs. Jay Bowmeester was 1 for 2 on faceoff attempts. I believe it most often happens when the center gets thrown out of a faceoff when the team has 3 skaters in a 5 on 3 or 4 on 3 situation. Just an update!

• 2 weeks later...