The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*Official* CBA Negotiations and Lockout Thread

:huh:

Not too long ago?   For the past quarter century I would say NFL ratings / viewership has always been higher. At least as a teenager I remember seeing stats that key regular season NFL games got more viewers than World Series games (which at the time I was surprised to see).

This is pathetic. Anyone who says this doesn't know jack. This is exactly what you want to get rid of hockey. The only reason you say this is because he isn't North American. If he was Canadian and followed the same exact same career path as Hamrlik, we'd have a different situation. People are just throwing guys like him into the stereotypes.

Erik Cole saying that Hamrlik might as well stay in Czeck. Hey kid, talk about having some respect. Hamrlik has played a hell lot more in the NHL than Cole has.

But as i said a week ago, every day we'll hear from a new player. Perhaps a different perspective and this is good. I hope some players, unlike Cole, decide to speak out and not "say nothing" out of "respect", aka "not know anything" but unite just because you feel like you have to.

OK guys lets relax with this MLB and NFL comparison to NHL.

My high school in the US was completely sports oriented. If you were good in sports you were someone. A complete lunch including milk and fruit was $1.25 and if your family is poor then it was free. Going from a Canadian school to an American school it felt like I went from grade 9 to college. The kids were huge and the whole school was all about sports.

We had a football team, baseball team, basketball team, soccer team, volleyball team, golf team etc etc etc. Seemed like we had a team for every sport ever played. The whole town would come watch base ball and foot ball games. Soccer was more popular with the Hispanic community and the games would be packed with Mexican Americans.

Obviously we did NOT have a hockey team. But here's the kicker.

During Gym class in grade 10 our teacher introduced the class to hockey. As a Canadian kid who had recently moved to US I could not believe that none of the kids in my gym class had ever held a hockey stick before. I'm serious when I say none of the kids had ever held a hockey stick. I couldn't believe it.

Being a Canadian and having had played hockey all my life it seemed like I was playing with a bunch of Kindergarten kids. The whole school talked about how I was an awesome hockey player, the football coach even asked me to join the team. Which regrettably I didn't.

I can say one thing from my experience. To compare NHL to other major sports in the US is ludicrous.

The Yankees charge $2500 per seat for the best seats. That's the price of a season ticket for the NYR.

No I don't see how it doesn't make sense. When the league had 6 Canadian teams, Canadian teams made up for over 1/3 of the revenue. If/When the CAD comes down NHL revenue will take a hit. Simple as that.

1/5 of the league accounts for 1/3 or revenue.

$3 billion/ 3 = $1 billion. Reduce that $1 billion by 25% leaves you $2.75 billion. See how easy that is?

It would be stupid of any one to think so black and white. Of course the NHL has grown. The NBC deal is proof of that. But the value of CAD is a huge reason for increased revenues. Bettman and Fehr both know that and they both know CAD will come down once US economy recovers. That's why guarantee players seek is such a contentious issue in these negotiation.

Elvis15 only made a logical deduction in reply to YOUR assertion that the rising CAD was the driving force of NHL revenue. Then you got all pissy and said he's wrong. He has nothing to be wrong about. His logic is obviously fine. I think you're just so lost in this debate that you don't realize that the subject matter you disagreed with wasn't his to begin with, it was yours. You're arguing with yourself.

I think you need to rethink your attitude. Elvis15 said 21 NHL teams have average attendance above 16,304 (KHL's new record). If PHX is averaging 12K (and is indeed far worse off than other clubs which is why it still doesn't have an owner), it would stand to reason that Elvis15 was correct that ~2/3 of the league has attendance higher than the KHL's record. Moreover, it can be read right here: http://espn.go.com/n...nce/_/year/2012

Your dismissiveness is unfounded and, combined with an inability to draw insight from the numbers, highlights that you're failing to keep up in this discussion. If you can't be polite and can't work with the facts presented, stop wasting people's time with petty insults.

My statement, which I noted was my opinion, had nothing to do with Hamrlik's origin. It had to do with his involvement in internal conflict in Montreal and his subsequent uninspired play on the ice. Not to mention his salary demands, which sure, every player has the right to go for as much cash as possible...or wait the owners have all the power right?

C'mon Poetica. The CAD has gained approx 25% vs the USD since the last lockout. All revenues are calculated in USD. Common sense dictates if 33% of league revenue is collected in a currency that appreciated by 25%, the revenue is affected.

Obviously the league has grown apart form the rise in CAD. NHL has more lucrative TV deals and people had more disposable income to spend on NHL games and merchandise. The business has been growing since the 1940's. There are a number of reasons for revenue to increase but the recent rise of CAD in a huge factor.

I would sympathize with the players if they were asked to make less IF they were making $70k a year. The fact of the matter is, they are playing a sport and being compensated handsomly for it. Not only that, but being compensated playing a sport that virtually nobody in the states cares about.

Since that rule only goes into effect in the 2nd year of the new CBA, the share requirement will be based on lockout damaged revenue. The effects from the lockout will almost certainly be upfront and then diminish with time. There's no reason I can think of that revenue would return to normal and then drop out of spite in 2 years. There certainly could be years where growth isn't as high as projected, but under the PA proposal players aren't guaranteed any increase from year to year, only that their share will not drop from year to year. As far as I know, NHL revenues have never gone backwards, even during some of the worst economic conditions in decades. Even after the last lockout, profits increased year to year.

Also, I believe the PA used the exact year-to-year projections the NHL made in there "see how far apart we are" charts for their last proposal (which is 2.5% growth of last year's revenue for the 2013/14 and then 5% growth for every year after that).

Now you got a long time NHL pro who has been through every lockout speaking his mind. He is sick of Fehr and his crap.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410028

At this point the union has a choice. Same as I have stated all along.

They either try to defend Fehr''s EGO as a negotiator and make a whole pile of guys waste an entire year of their already short careers...........

Or they fire Fehr or have him step down and get a hockey guy to step up to the plate with Bettman to hammer a fair deal out.

There is no other choice. Nobody in their right mind honestly thinks hiring Fehr was worth it anymore. The most the union can hope for is to try to salvage some credibility for the next CBA down the road.

Cut your losses now and live to fight another day.

OK guys lets relax with this MLB and NFL comparison to NHL.

My high school in the US was completely sports oriented. If you were good in sports you were someone. A complete lunch including milk and fruit was $1.25 and if your family is poor then it was free. Going from a Canadian school to an American school it felt like I went from grade 9 to college. The kids were huge and the whole school was all about sports.

We had a football team, baseball team, basketball team, soccer team, volleyball team, golf team etc etc etc. Seemed like we had a team for every sport ever played. The whole town would come watch base ball and foot ball games. Soccer was more popular with the Hispanic community and the games would be packed with Mexican Americans.

Obviously we did NOT have a hockey team. But here's the kicker.

During Gym class in grade 10 our teacher introduced the class to hockey. As a Canadian kid who had recently moved to US I could not believe that none of the kids in my gym class had ever held a hockey stick before. I'm serious when I say none of the kids had ever held a hockey stick. I couldn't believe it.

Being a Canadian and having had played hockey all my life it seemed like I was playing with a bunch of Kindergarten kids. The whole school talked about how I was an awesome hockey player, the football coach even asked me to join the team. Which regrettably I didn't.

I can say one thing from my experience. To compare NHL to other major sports in the US is ludicrous.

The Yankees charge $2500 per seat for the best seats. That's the price of a season ticket for the NYR.

Archived