53 replies to this topic

#1 Strombone1

Strombone1

GDT Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

surprised not to see this posted already...

While the NHLPA fights for the players’ right to sign a contract longer than five years, Canucks forward Daniel Sedin admits that he and his twin brother, Henrik, may commit one year at a time once their current deal runs out at the end of the 2013-14 season.

“We’re already taking it year by year right now,” Daniel said this week, as per The Province. “We have a year and a half on this current contract and then mentally I think it will be easier if we go year by year after that.

“Mentally, when you get to this age, to be able to perform, you have to be there. I really believe if you sign a long term deal it will be tougher to perform on a nightly basis.”

The Sedins turned 32 in September. In 2011-12, the top eight scorers in the NHL were all under 30.
For Vancouver, the Sedins on year-to-year deals would probably be a good thing. As long as the Canucks are Stanley Cup contenders, the twins will almost certainly want to stay with the organization that drafted them and in the community in which they’ve become so involved. It’s hard to picture a scenario where the amount of annual salary comes between the two sides.

If on the other hand Vancouver falls out of contention, the club may not want to dedicate a significant amount of cap space to a couple of aging stars that, in turn, may wish to pursue their Cup dreams with a team that could actually make those dreams come true.

One thing’s for certain: the Canucks’ current core doesn’t have many seasons left to win the franchise’s first championship.

As it stands, Vancouver doesn’t have a single major contributor under 26 years old – not surprising given the club’s regular-season success that’s negated its ability to stock up on elite prospects at the draft.

In fact, the Canucks haven’t had a draft pick from 1-9 since they selected the Sedins No. 2 and No. 3 in 1999.

http://prohockeytalk...st-next-season/

Edited by Strombone1, 24 November 2012 - 02:31 AM.

Commissioner of 2014-2015 Shapheat Fantasy Hockey League

Player of the Game - Wall of Fame
2014-15 GDT Registrations

#2 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,910 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

POPULAR

It will be a very sad day when the Sedins retire.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#3 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

POPULAR

I have no problem with this, they wouldn't want to play anywhere else other than Vancouver anyways.

#4 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,155 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

I think this is a good idea, it will keep them playing at there best longer, and they won't want to leave unless some unforeseen disaster happens so it should be a good thing.

zackass.png

#5 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,283 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

They'll probably sign a 3 year deal minimum if they have a big year next season.

Subbancopy.jpg

#6 PlayStation

PlayStation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,237 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

Shows these guys arent about the money (nor should anyone of assumed before, as they've donated generously, taken discounts, ect.)

So many stars sign those mega deals, in fact demand them or else threaten to leave.
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#7 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

Sounds like they have already thrown in the towel, mentally speaking. Trade em for picks I say.

“We’re already taking it year by year right now,” Daniel said this week, as per The Province. “We have a year and a half on this current contract and then mentally I think it will be easier if we go year by year after that.

“Mentally, when you get to this age, to be able to perform, you have to be there. I really believe if you sign a long term deal it will be tougher to perform on a nightly basis.”

They are only 32! Weak

Edited by scottiecanuck, 23 November 2012 - 08:15 PM.

#8 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

Hmm interesting tactic but I can see why they are doing this.
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#9 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,231 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

Sounds like they have already thrown in the towel, mentally speaking. Trade em for picks I say.

They are only 32! Weak

I seriously hope you're kidding.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#10 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

Interesting, they're still young IMO. I'm sure, in some senses, that makes Gilis nervous. Not knowing yr after yr if they'll be back, tough way to build a long term plan. Either way, they're my 2 favorite people in hockey, want them wearing Orcas for a long time.

#11 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

As long as they keep coming back for another 5+ years I'll be happy.
Posted Image

#12 morrissex95

morrissex95

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

Hopefully we can get Kassian, Schroeder, Jensen and Gaunce moving before the Sedins decide to leave, otherwise we'll be in the basement for a while.
Posted Image

#13 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,155 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

POPULAR

They are only 32! Weak

Makes sense... It's not like there are our franchise players or anything.. :picard:

zackass.png

#14 Wheels22

Wheels22

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

How can someone hate the Sedins. They are the classiest guys I've ever seen besides Sami Salo..

As long as they stay with the Canucks the entire time they are in the NHL, I'm happy....

#15 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

Year to year sounds very bad for us... Hope they sign at least a 3 year deal. :shock:

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#16 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 68,249 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

Interesting. Hope we can win the cup before they retire!

307mg00.jpg

#17 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,639 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

It works for Selanne. Whatever they wanna do I'm fine with. I just hope they've got another 6 years or so in them. :)

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#18 tingleydane

tingleydane

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:43 PM

i cant beleive were already talking about the sedins retireing, it seems just like yesterday i was cheersing the buds over the 5 year 6.1 deal . f*ing windows

#19 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

They are only 32! Weak

Without them, the Canucks are just the Flames with a better defense.

Posted Image

#20 honey badger36

honey badger36

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

I hope they do take it year by year and when they can no longer perform a first line role retire. Return to Sweden as hero's and play for Modo while they can still really tear it up. Mentor a bunch of young swedes that the canucks could then draft :bigblush: . That is what i would do.

#21 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,357 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

They are only 32! Weak

You are doubtless not worthy of packing there gear to the rink! .. begone, cretin!! .. :rolleyes:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#22 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

The best thing for the Canucks to do is trade them for a boatload of elite prospects before they expire. If Luongo didn't crap the bed 2 years ago and the twins got their cup, this would have been the best time to unload them.

Anyways, give em one more year to try for the cup. Then invest on top 5 picks by using the valuable twins as trade bait.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#23 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

It could be a good thing because they won't know if they will play the next season and give all their effort to make sure their "last" NHL season is a success.

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#24 tingleydane

tingleydane

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

look at burrs though he's 31 and still looks like a kid in the candy store out there . thats why among many, i think he's a great line mate for them.

#25 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,910 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:05 AM

The best thing for the Canucks to do is trade them for a boatload of elite prospects before they expire. If Luongo didn't crap the bed 2 years ago and the twins got their cup, this would have been the best time to unload them.

Anyways, give em one more year to try for the cup. Then invest on top 5 picks by using the valuable twins as trade bait.

Somebody would have to have a brain the size of a walnut if they think the Canucks will trade the Sedins.

Scratch that. They'd actually have to have no brain at all to think something that absurd.

Edited by Steven Stamkos' Mullet, 24 November 2012 - 12:05 AM.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#26 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:08 AM

Somebody would have to have a brain the size of a walnut if they think the Canucks will trade the Sedins.

Scratch that. They'd actually have to have no brain at all to think something that absurd.

Gretzky?
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#27 16nucks

16nucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:45 AM

I don't see the Sedins playing for anyone else but us, however, I think most would feel more comfortable if they signed a 3 year contract.
...and the thought of the Sedins retiring is absurd!

16nucks

#28 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,472 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:08 AM

Gretzky?

Just because anyone can get traded, does not mean they should get traded.

Pineapple_jumps.gif9rpqmc.jpgPineapple_jumps.gif

Thanks to Blueberries for the awesome sig!

#29 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:30 AM

I think that's fair. At a certain point there has to be some caution in signing long-term deals. I was not a fan of the length of Luongo's deal at all. By year 6 or 7 who knows how his body will be doing and how his mindset will have changed. No use being tied down to a contract.

It's really sad with the Sedins - potentially losing two full seasons of hockey due to the lockout. Their windows of peak-performance play are fading fast.

I hope they retire here though. No bullcrap like with Naslund - sign for one year somewhere else and then retire. Let them do it here as Canucks. It's the only thing that fits.
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#30 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:46 AM

The day the Sedins aren't in Canuck uniforms anymore is the day that the Canucks will start rebuilding for the next five or so odd years... Hopefully by then, we wouldn't be like the Flames and have a good enough prospect pool within those five years to be able to supplement the loss of our star players

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.