The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2013 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships

AriGold

Subban didn't think there was anything wrong with his goals. Two of them at least looked like he probably could've saved them. Defense looks mediocre, offense was awful. I'm more kind of surprised RNH looked like.. invisible. It doesn't look like we really have an impact player, but it's still weird to see him for the msot part really not look that great. Usually when you watch him he makes things happen himself, regardless of linemates.

They are getting some game action playing together which has a lot to do with their success down the road. Toughess adjustment is on the d-side knowing where your partner is likely to go. A lot of penalties on both sides. Finland had real nice size.

The outrage in the east was hugh when Sutter and the WHL went five straight. Ever since they took control the results, not so good.

RNH? Ritchie? Even Danault has been bringing alot of offense.

I think there are more than that, but we have to wait and see, can't go over board after a pre-tourny lose.

Our team has alot of talent, and a good mix of everything, it does look like the terrible choices Canada made (Cutting Corrado and Brossiot) is coming back to haunt them however.

The Canadians need to go get their acts together. Spott needs to reign them in. Way too undisciplined. Despite all the would-be "NHLers" on this roster, it won't be a cakewalk. Finland will be even better. Sweden, even without Zibanejad, Brodin and Klefbom looked good. USA is underrated. Russia is Russia.

I'd like to see this lineup:

Huberdeau - RNH - Scheifele

Rattie - Strome - Ritchie

Danault - Jenner - McNeil

Drouin - Mackinnon - Camara

Lipon

Clear number one line. Secondary scoring line. The ultimate WJC checking line and a tertiary scoring line to go, play with energy and swing momentum in our favor if the game is not going well. Mix of skill, speed and grit on each line. Scoring ability all throughout and might as well take advantage of built-in chemistry.

Harrington - Hamilton

Reinhart - Ouelette

Reilly - Wotherspoon

Murphy

Obvious, big-bodied, number one shutdown pair. Also capable of offense. Harrington can sit back farther and let Dougie roam. 2nd pair has two players that are solid in both ends of the ice. 3rd pair has one offensive/one defensive player dynamic. Let Rielly skate whil Wotherspoon can stay back. Murphy goes out for the powerplay.

Subban/Binnington

Goal has been a weakspot lately for team Canada. Hopefully one of them can put it together for two weeks and get hot.

Wow, I'm watching the rebroadcast Of the Sweden/USA and it seems Per Djoos's son Christian is in the team Sweden lineup!

That's pretty dadgum cool eh! The younger Djoos is Washington Capitals property.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=33201

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/christian_djoos/

Finland is looking like the team to beat so far. I know it's early, but you can tell this is one of the better teams Finland has iced.

They're tenacious fore-checkers and they've got a surprising amount of skill. Barkov is also a great player.

It's pre-tournament. They've also been on home ice for both games. They have a great team and I'll be happy for them if they place, but if I were a betting man I wouldn't bet on them winning a medal.

Biggest surprise for me this game is how invisible Galchenyuk has been. US as a whole hasn't been great but my expectations were highest for him.

We did not appear dynamic in an underwhelming win; but some positives.

Better goaltending by Binnington.

Huberdeau and Scheifele both looked like they could steal the puck anytime they hounded a Swedish D with the puck.

Pretty goal by Drouin.

Strome looked more active, maybe he will improve again when line mate Ritchie comes back from injury...

And the wonder as to whether Jenner will be suspended, or whether they bring up someone else in case he does? It was certainly a late play, but I am curious what broke his ribs. Did he hit him with his stick?

The game was again disappointing. Far to many penalties and the team looked flat again. To be fair they played the whole game with less than 11 forwards and a period and a bit with just 10 forwards. Binnington looked pretty solid but how did Wotherspoon get on this team?????????? He's awful. The whole Jenner incident was just bizarre. The hit was late but not overly violent. The Swedish player had a lot of time to prepare for the hit but just looked out of it before he even got hit. There must not be enough hitting in European leagues. In North America you'd be expecting that hit.

I`m going to say this now, before the actual tournament starts...but I think the Canucks should try and trade for some of the boys on Team FINLAND. Ristolainen looks like he would be a perfect future d-partner with Edler. Both are big,mean and can hit. Edler is offensive, while Ristolainen is a tenacious fore-checking DFD.

Both Markus, and Mikael Granlund look to be future studs, with Markus maybe coming at a lower cost to obtain.

Joel Armia is a beasty power-forward who could really add size at Centre position in the future.

Both Barkov, and Ristolainen would be traded for as draft picks and hopefully still be available when we picked. TOR would probably be the easiest trading partner to obtain a top 5 pick. The other would proabably need to be a top 10 pick, or even top 15 to secure Ristolainen.

Long story short,

I`m hoping the Canucks snag a few of these Talented young Finn`s who I see going very far in this year`s WJC.

Archived