The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nurse who took prank call commits suicide

D-Money

The article says the DJs pretended to be royalty and they asked about the Dutchess' health, not sure why that is even part of the article.

Sounds to me like she must have committed suicide for another reason, too bad the article doesn't even attempt to explain why she did it, or even offer any guesses. I highly doubt she killed herself because she had to listen to someone asking how one of her patients was doing.

Why? They're not to blame for the suicide. How should they know that a harmless prank call (and yes - it was harmless) would result in this? They probably feel terrible. But they should not lose their jobs.

Yeah, well. Not everybody is you. Some people can't handle depression as well. Calling her a coward is a horrible move as well. Stop being so narrow minded.

The majority of the people on this thread say the DJs are not to blame and pranks are harmless.

I disagree since the call precipated the suicide. If the call was NOT made, the nurse may be still alive. It was the trigger that caused the suicide.

Everyone has said that the nurse was depressed or suffered from mental illness. We don't know that for sure. Was there something else affecting her like family problems.

Pranks are not always harmless. People sometimes die from so called pranks.

Whether the DJ should be fire or not is debateable but that is something that will be on their conscience for the rest of their lives.

By the sounds of it, the DJ's didn't really expect to be patched through to Kate's private nurse. They were extremely unconvincing in the roles of the Queen and Prince Charles and they didn't even know what to say when the nurse answered the phone. The whole gig was totally meant to be a joke. And once the info of the error was leaked, the Royal Family was actually pretty cool about it and didn't take issue with the hospital or its staff.

I'd say this was a bit of an overreaction on the nurse's part. And I don't think the DJ's should be blamed. Yes, there is such a thing as a joke being taken too far but, in this case, I don't think they intended for it to be taken that far. They probably expected to be met with resistance about 5 seconds into the phone call and that would have been the end of it. The fact that they got so far into the process is no fault of theirs.

It's sad that the nurse felt suicide was her only option. She made a mistake but, in the grand scheme of things, no harm was done and it could have just been used as a learning opportunity for everyone involved. Instead it's been turned into quite a tragic story. I just hope that all the hoopla and obsession surrounding the pregnancy doesn't add extra stress onto the shoulders of Kate. She seems like an impressive person and she and William deserve the best, especially after how things unfolded for Diana and Charles.

Yeah I do. I've battled through extreme bouts of depression in my life back in the day and no matter how bad it got I never thought of killing myself. I always thought about the people I would hurt by doing it. No matter how bad it gets, there are always ways to make it better.

The majority of the people on this thread say the DJs are not to blame and pranks are harmless.

I disagree since the call precipated the suicide.  If the call was NOT made, the nurse may be still alive.   It was the trigger that caused the suicide.

Nearly 30 years ago i lost 4 very close friends to suicide ,2 of them in horrific circumstances, and had one half arsed atttempt at it myself , and while i would not would not use the world cowardly , i will use the word selfish , Suicide is not painless when you leave everyone in pain .

So it is wrong to kill yourself, leaving others to live in pain for your own convenience, but it is perfectly okay to denounce suicide, and expect another to live in pain for your own convenience?

It is impossible to be selfish in this situation, because your life is yours and yours alone.

How hard is it to understand you are responsible for yourself. If you would feel sad if someone close to you dies, that is your problem, and is not their fault. It is like saying a girl has to marry you because you love her, and you would be sad if she rejected you. Too bad if you would be sad, she has every right to marry who she pleases. Same goes with living and dying, no one is required to live solely for your amusement, that is called slavery and we have moved past such despicable acts.

So it is wrong to kill yourself, leaving others to live in pain for your own convenience, but it is perfectly okay to denounce suicide, and expect another to live in pain for your own convenience?

It is impossible to be selfish in this situation, because your life is yours and yours alone.

How hard is it to understand you are responsible for yourself. If you would feel sad if someone close to you dies, that is your problem, and is not their fault. It is like saying a girl has to marry you because you love her, and you would be sad if she rejected you. Too bad if you would be sad, she has every right to marry who she pleases. Same goes with living and dying, no one is required to live solely for your amusement, that is called slavery and we have moved past such despicable acts.

I disagree since the call precipated the suicide.  If the call was NOT made, the nurse may be still alive.   It was the trigger that caused the suicide.

Everyone has said that the nurse was depressed or suffered from mental illness.  We don't know that for sure.  Was there something else affecting her like family problems.

Pranks are not always harmless.  People sometimes die from so called pranks.

Whether the DJ should be fire or not is debateable but that is something that will be on their conscience for the rest of their lives.

Thought I'd seen it all on here but this one deserves some kind of award for twisted logic. The carnage that is left behind by suicide is very real and lingers for years, sometimes for life. Questions that can never be answered. Guilt that can not be assuaged. Sadness that reshapes your life and redefines your very nature. The real victims are the survivors. Ask anyone who is one.

She most likely had some sort of history with depression prior to this event.

Any blame on the DJ's is uncalled for, it was a harmless prank that got blown completely out of proportion by the media. If anything the sensationalization of this story is more to blame then the actual story itself.

this isn't an objective truth about suicide, so when you speak of it in generalities, or worse, when you speak of it as if your own experiences are the defining experience, your "logic" is even more twisted than his

you simply disagree with his opinion. you don't need to pad your silly response with "i thought i'd seen it all! this is so illogical!" or whatever

When adults on live radio make prank calls what does it say to children? In some ways our society has made great improvements but in others it's been going down hill. Particularly in having respect for others.

These DJs should face some sort of lawsuit or criminal charge, mischief at the very least. Perhaps it's illegal to access other ppl's medical records. Not sure but I have a feeling prosecutors will do something or at least attempt to.

I saw this story on TV before the suicide and I couldn't believe it. I was upset at these 2 clowns for making this prank call. Now I'm just furious. This is unacceptable.

Archived